"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-10-2015, 01:44 AM   #6471
Master Chef

A bit of cotton candy for the brain, we watched "One for the Money", a film adaptation of the first "Stephanie Plum" novel by Janet Evanovich. I've read a bunch of the books and was rather pleased that the actors chosen for the parts were very close to my mind's idea of who they were. Himself actually enjoyed it, but then Sherri Shepherd was in it and he really likes her. She was perfect as "Lula"!

Old 02-10-2015, 08:01 AM   #6472
Head Chef

I'm gaining respect for Billy Bob Thornton. He was just excellent in 'Jayne Mansfield's Car.' I believe he was the director, too. Robert Duvall was the star; Kevin Bacon had a smaller but very important role. Very well done. It really wasn't about the car.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:18 AM   #6473
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
I'm gaining respect for Billy Bob Thornton. He was just excellent in 'Jayne Mansfield's Car.' I believe he was the director, too. Robert Duvall was the star; Kevin Bacon had a smaller but very important role. Very well done. It really wasn't about the car.
I have been impressed with Billy Bob thornton since Sling Blade he is the real deal when it comes to actors, from dumb face comedy to compelling drama he has a lot of tools. Comfortable in everything from Bad News Bears to Monsters ball, that is talent...
Old 02-10-2015, 11:33 AM   #6474
Wine Guy

We went and saw "Jupiter Ascending" over the weekend. While the critics seemed to hate it, I didn't think it was that bad. The sets (mostly CGI, I'm sure) were very artistically done. And while the chemistry between Mila Kunis and that Tater Channing (Channing Tater, I forget which) wasn't great, I still thought it was a fun movie. The 3D was also done in such a way that it helped with the immersion aspect, without being a distraction as in some films. Within 5 minutes I even forgot I had the glasses on. I think that technology has come a long way over the past couple years, or at least it doesn't give me headaches like it used to.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:01 PM   #6475
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Regularly our dish provider tries to tempt us with freebie come-ons so we'll up our subscription. Never works, but what does happen is that we are afforded the opportunity to record many things we won't have to pay for on Netflix or aren't available at the library.

Well, in September we recorded The Abyss, which dates to 1989. We finally got around to viewing it last night and really enjoyed it. Not many dull moments and, even though it was totally farfetched, we had fun watching it.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:15 PM   #6476
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
Watched John Wick last night, it was pretty entertaining if you are into shoot 'em up action flicks. There is already a second one in the works, I hope it will be as good as the first.
We watched that over the weekend. It wasn't bad, but I think it missed. Not sure what I would have done differently though.

We also watched Fury. Not quite the movie I was expecting for some reason. It was the better of the two but I did have fun with both.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:47 PM   #6477
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
We also watched Fury. Not quite the movie I was expecting for some reason. It was the better of the two but I did have fun with both.
I was really hoping for better out of Fury, but I still enjoyed it.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:07 PM   #6478
Master Chef

I thought Fury was pretty good. The film reminded me of The Beast, a Russian film made in the late 80's which I thought was a lot better. It was about a Soviet tank crew lost in Afghanistan.
In fact, you can watch the entire movie on Youtube. Just search 'The Beast of War'.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:18 PM   #6479
Master Chef

I posted this on the TV thread also. This Netflix documentary has been nominated for an Oscar this year. I know many here have Netflix streaming and I'll definitely be watching it.

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/80009431

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:10 AM   #6480
Master Chef

I picked up three DVDs from the library before the cold weather hit, just special for this weekend of hibernation. Saturday night we finally watched the first "Reds" and completely enjoyed it! Now I have to request the sequel, hoping it's at least half as good. Tonight (Sunday) we watched "The Tourist" with Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie. Also very good. Tomorrow we'll wrap up the trifecta with...well, you'll just have to wait until my next post.