"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-24-2015, 09:37 PM   #6541
Chef Extraordinaire

Kleenix, was this a PBS Doc. or a Discovery? I hope it will be repeated. I would love to catch it.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:34 PM   #6542
Executive Chef

Somehow the "Just Eat It - A food waste story" a must see documentary got a US airing on MSNBC of all networks.

I do not know if it will get another airing:

You can watch it from this site though, but you must be from Canada:

https://www.knowledge.ca/program/just-eat-it

Old 04-25-2015, 05:45 PM   #6543
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex View Post
Somehow the "Just Eat It - A food waste story" a must see documentary got a US airing on MSNBC of all networks. I Googled it and it came up immediately. Evidently MSNBC shows all of the films from this couple. I will be keeping my eyes open for more of their works.

I do not know if it will get another airing:

You can watch it from this site though, but you must be from Canada:

https://www.knowledge.ca/program/just-eat-it
Thanks Kleenix. I went to MSNBC and it is being rebroadcast May 27/28. So I marked it to be reminded. And I stuck it in my calendar for a reminder. I doubt I will miss it.

When I lived in Texas, there was this fried chicken place right in back of where I lived. One day I saw a woman tossing out a tray full of fried chicken. I asked her why. She had made this batch at 9 a.m. and it was now 10 a.m. and time to make a new batch. "We make a fresh batch every hour and toss what we don't sell in the next hour." There were many days I would be there when I knew she was on and got me a full batch (more than my family could eat in one sitting) for nothing. My kids never complained about getting to much chicken. They loved it.

I asked her why they toss it on the hour. "The owner wants to make sure the chicken is always fresh when the public buys it." I commend his thoughtfulness for the customers, but the wastefulness had no excuse that could be acceptable.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:57 AM   #6544
Master Chef

Instead of crawling off my chair when the news was over, I got sucked into watching an old version of "Blithe Spirit". I remember seeing it decades ago at the Chagrin Valley Little Theatre. Years later, we had taken the kids to a community theatre performance of the play when they were in middle school. But I don't remember ever seeing a movie version.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:29 PM   #6545
Senior Cook

I'm currently watching a movie called Robots. This is a story of a robot named Rodney Copperbottom and his journey to improve the world.

As someone who has been deeply into graphic art work for many years, I must say that the graphics in this movie are amazing.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:47 AM   #6546
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardchoille View Post
I'm currently watching a movie called Robots. This is a story of a robot named Rodney Copperbottom and his journey to improve the world.

As someone who has been deeply into graphic art work for many years, I must say that the graphics in this movie are amazing.
Have you seen Box Trolls? Not only is the story charming, but the way it was animated was like eye candy.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:41 AM   #6547
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Have you seen Box Trolls? Not only is the story charming, but the way it was animated was like eye candy.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

No, I've not seen Box Trolls.. I'll add it to my "To View" list. Thank you! The phrase "eye candy" was perfect, some of these films are absolutely beautiful.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:45 PM   #6548
Master Chef

I watched "Selma" last night on Dish on Demand. Wow...what a powerful film, and very well made.

The main characters in the movie - MLK, Coretta King, and Lyndon Johnson were played by British actors. They nailed the American accent. Well done.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:28 PM   #6549
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Last night Glenn and I watched The Imitation Game, which is the story of Alan Turing and the breaking of Germany's Enigma code during WWII. Whoa! What a well-done film!
Old 05-31-2015, 02:50 AM   #6550
Master Chef

Watched "The Judge" a couple nights ago. Not the light, fluffy kind of movie I usually see, but very good.