"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-02-2015, 01:49 PM   #6551
Honey Badger

Watching Mystery Science Theater 3000 on you tube.
That show is hilarious.Hubby tells me I say things like Crow does.Like that's a bad thing? LOL!
Wish Netflix would put it back on.
So the next best thing to do is buy the DVD's to add to my Sci-Fi collection.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:37 PM   #6552
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Watched "The Judge" a couple nights ago. Not the light, fluffy kind of movie I usually see, but very good.

Glenn and I watched that a month or so ago. A very well-done drama. Love Robert Duvall.

Last night we watched the 1978 animated movie, Watership Down, which was based on the book by Richard Adams. I loved the book and the movie was every bit as captivating. Of course, I cried at the end.

I do love me some bunnies and enjoy watching and talking to the ones that live in our yard and fields.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:41 PM   #6553
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Watching Mystery Science Theater 3000 on you tube.
That show is hilarious.Hubby tells me I say things like Crow does.Like that's a bad thing? LOL!
Wish Netflix would put it back on.
So the next best thing to do is buy the DVD's to add to my Sci-Fi collection.
Omigosh! I'd forgotten all about MST3K. Buck and my youngest son used to live for the weekend so they could stay up and watch it. I watched it too, but not as often as they did. It was great. Hey, don't forget about Tom Servo!
Old 06-02-2015, 07:48 PM   #6554
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I love MST3K, too! Hysterical.

Munky, I talk about and to the movies too, just like that.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:21 PM   #6555
Honey Badger

@Katie and Princess.

I went on a hunt on Amazon and Ebay.To find one in particular that I was looking for.Ebay clearly had far better deals and selections.I bought 2 movies 4 disks per case.

Found Thanksgiving Day collection in a tin box.Includes a few extras$38.00 bucks.I haven't seen that one yet.So dun tell me.

The other I think I've seen not sure,so I picked it up anyways.$37.00
Mystery Science Theater XXI x29
Both are in their original manufactured packaging.Brand new.Can't beat that.Both have already been shipped.Minimal shipping charges.If any.I think I paid just a $1.00 for one.

The second has a movie I believe Crowwww had made a snarky comment that had me in tears I laughed so hard.Told my husband.See!? that's my wicked sister.She does mean things like that!He doesn't like her anyways.Knew my comment was true.

Crowww says "I bet she suits up just to chase a Jack Rabbit around in circles just for kicks riding on a moped" LOL!!!! OMG!!

When they get here.I'll burn them onto my hard drive so I can watch them wherever I go.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:31 PM   #6556
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Omigosh! I'd forgotten all about MST3K. Buck and my youngest son used to live for the weekend so they could stay up and watch it. I watched it too, but not as often as they did. It was great. Hey, don't forget about Tom Servo!
My husband at the time deliberately had his days off so the he could have the weekend off just so that he and my oldest son could stay up late and watch it.My son was about 6-7 at the time.It was a big thing for them to watch it late at night eating popcorn.

While mom and his little brother who was only 2-3 at the time could sleep.I to had barely watched it.I was tired.Bedtime sounded better.
It was "Guy time for them"My son remembers that fondly.Was happy to hear I've bought a few.

Yeah, and Gypsie to....LOL!
Old 06-03-2015, 12:36 PM   #6557
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Last night Glenn and I watched Philomena. Fantastic film. Sad but captivating movie. Judy Dench, as usual, did a fine job.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:52 AM   #6558
Master Chef

San Andreas. Lousy movie, but it had some great special effects. I was also expecting to see Shelly Winters in the film but she wasn't in this one.... lol...
Old 06-06-2015, 02:06 PM   #6559
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
San Andreas. Lousy movie, but it had some great special effects. I was also expecting to see Shelly Winters in the film but she wasn't in this one.... lol...
LOL! Expecting to see Shelly Winters in it. Tooo funny!!!

I was just thinking yesterday as we were driving home on the freeway.You know how exciting Highway 101 can be.BORING! Anyways, was planning on kicking back when we get home as to what movie I wanted to watch Set my mind on Night Of The Hunter.Who's in it but Shelly Winters.Which made me think of the Poseidon movie (sp)

Is it me or does she drown well? She whines alot.Even on an episode of Wagon Train.
Now George Clooney has made a few movies when in one he actually did.
Playing a fisherman.And the other Oh, Brother Where Art Thou.Where he almost did.

That family should shy away from water.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:22 AM   #6560
Master Chef

"Kill The Irishman"

Our latest library borrow was "Kill the Irishman", a true story based on the life of Danny Greene. Green was a dock worker who became the union boss of the Cleveland longshoreman's union, battled the mafia to try and gain control of unions, and worked as an FBI informant to help bring down not only the mafia in Cleveland, but in four (or five?) other cities. Unfortunately, he had to die by car bombing in order for FBI to hunt down and capture the mafia guys responsible for his death. Once captured, they ending up singing like canaries and gave away all their compatriots.

The disc also included a documentary film, "Danny Greene: The Rise and Fall of the Irishman (2009)" that was mostly a history of that time along with interviews with Greene's first wife and daughter and many of the law enforcement people and media folks that were active on the cases and stories. It was fun seeing TV reporters from the 1970s that we remembered watching back then. Also pretty interesting when a couple of the names mentioned turned out to be our almost-neighbors from our first house! We knew the story*, but seeing it covered in a movie really tied together a lot of what we knew in bits and pieces.

Apparently, bombing was the murder method of choice in Cleveland back then. This article at Cleveland.com says 1976 saw 21 bombing in Cleveland proper, and a total of 37 throughout all of Cuyahoga county. Yikes!

* She was a file clerk for the FBI; he was a salesman at a dealership and worked with another salesman with mafia connections. For somewhere around $10,000-$15,000 (a LOT of money in 1977) she snooped through classified documents to get the names of FBI informants to turn over to the mafia. Danny Greene's name was top of the list. By turning that info over to the mafia, they then got the wheels turning on finally making good killing him.