"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-02-2015, 12:37 AM   #6581
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
No we didn't, Josh said he didn't want to. I think it would have scared him too much.

Probably a good call!

Old 08-02-2015, 06:25 AM   #6582
Chef Extraordinaire

Yesterday, quiet, nothing of interest on TV, started to peruse the channels and came across "Pennies From Heaven" with Cary Grant. An excellent way to kill an hour or so. A real tear jerker and definitely a chick flick. I also watched "The Help" That kept me out of trouble for the day.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:14 AM   #6583
Head Chef

I watched "The Road" - a post apocalyptic survival film about a father and son. It was quite interesting, well made, believable but a little disappointing. I think I expected more from it.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:46 PM   #6584
Certified Cake Maniac

Since I have to "rest", and Kay has been over a lot, we have been watching a few movies.

The Longest Ride - loved it! Watched it again with TB a few nights later
The Duff - cute and had a good message but it took right to the end to get to it.
Beauty Shop - predictable but it was fun to see Kevin Bacon with long hair and a poor Austrian Accent!
PS, I love you! - I have heard it is a tear jerker, but I only had a few tears - but it was good

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:10 PM   #6585
Executive Chef

This is the latest thing I saw. It aired on CNN last night and should also be airing on Saturday night as well.

Évocateur: The Morton Downey JR. Movie

The rise and fall of the legend Morton Downey JR. who was a complete original for talk shows. He was the trash talking host that could actually sing.

From the early years living next to the Kennedy compound till his death this documentary had it all.

This documentary included commentary from people that was in the audience, Michael Bey, Gloria Allred, Alan Dershowitz, and More...

The whole documentary had high production value from start to finish. Loved the animated sequences in this as well.

I say this is a must see documentary.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:57 PM   #6586
Head Chef

A truly exceptional 1984 made for TV movie called "Coming out of the Ice" starring John Savage, Willie Nelson and Francesca Annis. The true story of Victor Herrman whose father takes his family to go to Russia in the 1930's to work for a Ford auto plant. Victor attains fame as a skydiver but falls out of favor with the Russians because he refuses to be listed as a Russian. He endures hardships in the gulag prison camps. The movie ends on a positive note. It's available in full form on YouTube and can be downloaded from there and burned to a DVD for full screen viewing in great resolution. Very grueling for 3/4 of the movie but very inspirational at the end.

https://youtu.be/nxPg3FA2l_I
Old 08-22-2015, 03:16 AM   #6587
Master Chef

We've actually been going through DVDs of old series. We're about to wrap up season one of "Diagnosis, Murder" with the inimitable Dick Van Dyke. Binge watchers we aren't. After we finish up this season we'll take a break, moving on to seasons one and two of "Moonlighting". Loved that show back in 1985; we'll see how it plays 30 years later. We'll have 1200 minutes of viewing once I pick up the discs.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:57 AM   #6588
Head Chef

Loved it way way back when, a fantasy episode of The Mary Tyler Moore show played. Mary, Lou, Murray and Ted are all much older now.

Anyways, a future senile Ted is about to sign off the nightly news.
He goes to say...

"This is..." (he can't remember his own name). He painfully gets out his wallet, looks at it, looks back at the camera and says confidently ..."genuine cowhide, saying good night and good news."
Old 08-23-2015, 09:56 AM   #6589
Chef Extraordinaire

We watched "The Changeling" last night, with Angela Jolie, John Malkovich and Jeffrey Donovan (from Burn Notice). Partway through it, I realized I'd seen it before, but DH hadn't, so we watched the whole thing.

It's very well done. Horrifying to realize that it's a true story.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:06 AM   #6590
Senior Cook

Christmas Vacation. My favorite movie of all time. I don't watch TV much, nor do I go to the movies. However, this movie is a classic for me and it's about this time of year I pull out the DVD.