"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-26-2008, 11:32 AM   #651
Master Chef

Sherrybaby... odd little number.

The Hitcher (Updated version) .... it was ok. I think the original was better.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:40 PM   #652
Head Chef

We saw No Country for Old Men at the matinee today. WOW - it was much more of a suspensful thriller thanI thought it would be. It was excellent, I recommend it, especially if you like any of the Cohen brothers other great movies (reminded me a little of Blood Simple).

Old 01-27-2008, 05:58 PM   #653
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toots View Post
We saw No Country for Old Men at the matinee today. WOW - it was much more of a suspensful thriller thanI thought it would be. It was excellent, I recommend it, especially if you like any of the Cohen brothers other great movies (reminded me a little of Blood Simple).
We LOVED it too! Excellent movie, the Coen brothers are geniuses!!! Fargo, The Big Lebowski, O Brother Where Art Thou, Hudsucker Proxy....all excellent movies!

Glad you liked it!
Old 01-27-2008, 06:21 PM   #654
Master Chef

Ok, watched a few more last night.. seems all the premium channels had some potentially decent premiers...

The Descent - Not near as good as the reviews I read. The only time I was surprised or scared was towards the end when a big truck drives by. And I was sooooo excited about seeing this movie!!!

The Lookout - This movie was pretty good and Joseph Gordon-Levitt was pretty good in this, however I found it a bit predictable.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:01 AM   #655
Traveling Welcome Wagon

"The Russell Girl." This was a Hallmark Hall of Fame movie. I didn't know until it was over that it was based on a real story.

If you did not get a chance to see this, you should (IMHO) buy it and a box of tissue and see it as soon as possible. It will be available at Hallmark Gold Crown stores February 1st.

Semi-interesting side-note: Amber Tamblyn was the lead actor in it. Her dad, Russ Tamblyn, is actually the cousin of a cousin of mine. I haven't seen my cousin since I was 7 years old (she was already an adult by then), and I don't think they had anything to do with each other anyway.

Barbara
Old 01-28-2008, 05:29 AM   #656
Sous Chef

A hindi movie 'Om Shanti Om' of Shah Ruk Khan.
radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:40 AM   #657
Head Chef

We saw Atonement. Don't miss it .
Old 01-28-2008, 06:07 AM   #658
Senior Cook

I saw Cloverfield on the 18th (nerd status: CONFIRMED). Don't eat before you see it. Motion sickness-prone individuals beware!

I like monster rampage movies, so I had high hopes going into the film, but it was not a monster movie in the traditional sense. It's part of a alternate reality game thinly veiled as a feature film. Those who will get the most out of it will be those who are already initiated into the game. Those playing along thinking the game was just pre-release hype will walk away with only one solid answer: the movie contains more clues than conclusions.

That said, it is still a weak movie. Heck, it's still a weak monster movie. It's not as bad as, say, the American Godzilla, but I'm a DVD collector and I'd have a really hard time dishing out more than $7 for Cloverfield when it's released. Some people I've spoken to have proclaimed the greatness of the handicam-POV as "realistic" and "intense." Probably true but this kind of intensity mostly comes from disorientation rather than great cinematography, and that brand of realism just doesn't belong in a situation where there's a gigantic monster destroying Manhattan! There are also those who will point out that the movie is a human story set against the backdrop of a monster rampage, but that story is really pretty lame and certainly beneath the guy who brought us "Lost."
Old 02-03-2008, 11:37 AM   #659
Cook

I watched Sideways on DVD last night. I really enjoyed it and thought it was an excellent story, a little sad, depening on how you interpret the ending it could be a happy or sad conclusion. I would definatly recommend it.

Amazon.com: Sideways (Widescreen Edition): Movies & TV: Paul Giamatti,Thomas Haden Church,Virginia Madsen,Sandra Oh,Marylouise Burke,Jessica Hecht,Missy Doty,M.C. Gainey,Alysia Reiner,Shake Tukhmanyan,Shaun Duke,Robert Covarrubias,Patrick Gallagher,S
Old 02-03-2008, 01:43 PM   #660
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Spent my afternoon finishing up menus for March, so put in a VCR tape of Driving Miss Daisy. What a great film even after so many years! Cast and story couldn't have been better.
I just rewatched Driving Miss Daisy, too, and it's a film that I never tire of seeing---as been already said such a great cast---anyone ever see Jessica Tandy's old movies?? She was gorgeous in the 30's and 40's!