"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-03-2015, 04:46 PM   #6651
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
My best friend of 60+ years and I went to see Burnt this afternoon. It did not disappoint. Great film and, after a little while as I understood the stress level of the environment, I didn't even "hear" the F bombs any more as we became wrapped up in the "story."

Loved it and we were particularly captivated by little Lily. What an adorable little girl.

Wanna see it again!

Old 11-07-2015, 04:16 AM   #6652
Master Chef

We watched "Chef" tonight. I must say Jon Favreau got himself some mad knife skills!

Old 11-07-2015, 05:30 AM   #6653
Head Chef

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
We watched "Chef" tonight. I must say Jon Favreau got himself some mad knife skills!
How did you rate the film? Worth going to see?
Old 11-08-2015, 03:10 AM   #6654
Master Chef

creative, "Chef" was worth every penny I spent - the gas it cost me to drive the 2 miles to pick up the disc from my library. The movie came out last year (2014) in April, so it's no longer in theaters around here. We're always more than happy when a movie goes to disc and is old enough to be in the library system anyway. We like to stop the movie to wander into the kitchen to fill up a glass or cup with beverage, or in my case take a quick trip to the loo. Theaters are so unwilling to stop a movie just so I can take a quick run there.

The movie was enjoyable as long as you ignore the Frequent Flying "F". It was funny, touching, and all-around good, in our opinions.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:09 PM   #6655
Master Chef

Chef was great. I watched it on Netflix streaming quite a while ago and it's still on there for streaming.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:44 PM   #6656
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

"TomorrowLand" Loved it, Clooney is finally starting to look good.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:58 PM   #6657
Chef Extraordinaire

Saw "Martian" I was surprised how good it was. Space mission sent to Mars. 1 left behind, presumed dead. He was not. Lived on Mars being self sufficient.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:14 AM   #6658
Head Chef

Since it came on TV, was a comedy with a very good star rating I watched "The Hangover". Hmmm...disappointing. I think it would appeal (predictably) more to men. I am clearly not it's target audience!

The situations got more preposterous rather than funny...I lasted about an hour then switched off before I lost the will to live!
Old 11-10-2015, 11:48 AM   #6659
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Just watched Chef (online). Quite good - in particular I enjoyed the food preparation/cooking scenes... Forget about smell-o-vision, wish there was taste-o-vision!

I am sure a lot of chefs would relish the rant with the food critic.

I was not that interested in the relationship with his son...maybe the acting could have been better?

I liked how the film ended.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:18 PM   #6660
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
...I was not that interested in the relationship with his son...maybe the acting could have been better?...
Really. Perhaps it's because you don't have children of your own. I thought it was funny and sad, very touching. Some parts made us laugh, a few made me sniffle a bit.

When our kids were high school seniors, our son decided to attend college in Arizona - about 2,000 miles from home. The two of us flew out for a campus visit; to get the best ticket price for the flight we ended up staying a week. We spent the extra time exploring and experiencing a different part of our country, along with a day-trip to a small Mexico village. It was just a week, but it (along with multi-day events with my daughter) is one of my favorite memories of time spent with our son.