"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-10-2015, 02:59 PM   #6661
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Really. Perhaps it's because you don't have children of your own. I thought it was funny and sad, very touching. Some parts made us laugh, a few made me sniffle a bit.
I don't know that that's necessary. I really enjoyed the movie, including the relationship between the two of them. It made me think about my brother and my dad when my parents got divorced. I wish they had had something similar to bring them closer together.

Empathy and the ability to imagine another's circumstances go a long way.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:24 PM   #6662
Master Chef

Yeah, that's why I said "perhaps".

Old 11-10-2015, 03:34 PM   #6663
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Yeah, that's why I said "perhaps".
Gotcha
Old 11-10-2015, 03:44 PM   #6664
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Addie, our theaters here give senior discounts no matter the time or day of the week.
Lucky folks!
Old 11-10-2015, 03:54 PM   #6665
Chef Extraordinaire

Every so often a moment comes along with a child that you will always remember with a touch of warmth in your heart.

When I got the news of my daughter's death, I had to tell my granddaughter that was living with me. I was in shock and she saw that something was terribly wrong.

"Whatever it is Ganna (her name for me growing up) you can tell me and we will get through it together." And she was only 15 at the time. The only word I could get out was "gone, gone." Right away she knew it was her mother and when she put her arms around me, to comfort me, she held me while I sobbed so hard. She held in her own grief so she could help me.

That child gave me a lot of grief and aggravation during the seven years I had her. But that one moment will always stay with me with my deepest love for her.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:04 PM   #6666
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Re. the film Chef and not enjoying the relationship between father and son. As indicated I think it might have been the boy's acting.

Has anyone seen The Goodbye Girl? (Starring Marsha Mason). Her daughter in that was absolutely rivetting...I thoroughly enjoyed the relationship/interactions she had in the film with her mother.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:06 PM   #6667
Wine Guy

Took our daughter to the "Peanuts" movie for her birthday. She is a young woman of 23, but has been a fan her entire life and looked forward to seeing it since it was first announced. This is a girl who still has the entire Hallmark Snoopy statuette collection.

My honest opinion is that it was ok, but my daughter and wife actually got teary eyed in several spots. I did enjoy the modern treatment they did, while still embracing elements of the past (I actually heard a girl behind us say, "I forgot telephones used to have wires").

It was a nice night out.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:50 PM   #6668
Master Chef

Sounds like a nice family get together, Steve - good to hear you all enjoyed it. "Peanuts" is playing here now, and I've always been a fan, too. Charles Shultz was a genious IMO, and it's good to hear they kept to tradition a bit. I've been thinking about going to see it.

On another note, I was curious about "San Andreas" and since it was on PPV this past lazy weekend, I watched it. OMGosh...terrible film, and several scenes were downright laughable. (JMO...)
Old 11-12-2015, 02:54 PM   #6669
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Sounds like a nice family get together, Steve - good to hear you all enjoyed it. "Peanuts" is playing here now, and I've always been a fan, too. Charles Shultz was a genious IMO, and it's good to hear they kept to tradition a bit. I've been thinking about going to see it.

On another note, I was curious about "San Andreas" and since it was on PPV this past lazy weekend, I watched it. OMGosh...terrible film, and several scenes were downright laughable. (JMO...)
LOL Cheryl LOL!!!!

We to had a lazy day, nothing to do or really wanted to watch on Netflix.
So Hubby checked Amazon's to watch list.San Andreas came up.

That's so true.I want my money,time, and bleached eyes back!!!! TODAY!

The movie was joke.I couldn't stop laughing at some of the scenes.
I almost killed my husband with the comment "Jiggles" his daughter being able to float."She won't drown, seriously!?" "Those just aren't normal at all!"
Here I wonder why he doesn't take me anywhere."Croooow"....
Old 11-12-2015, 07:08 PM   #6670
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
LOL Cheryl LOL!!!!

We to had a lazy day, nothing to do or really wanted to watch on Netflix.
So Hubby checked Amazon's to watch list.San Andreas came up.

That's so true.I want my money,time, and bleached eyes back!!!! TODAY!

The movie was joke.I couldn't stop laughing at some of the scenes.
I almost killed my husband with the comment "Jiggles" his daughter being able to float."She won't drown, seriously!?" "Those just aren't normal at all!"
Here I wonder why he doesn't take me anywhere."Croooow"....

I think my favorite laughable part of the film was when the teenage heroine was pulling glass shards out of her new love's leg, skyscrapers were tumbling down and ferries were crashing into the building from tsunamis....and they decided that would be a perfect moment to gaze into each other's eyes and share their first tender kiss. Ahhh....young love. LOL