"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-05-2016, 11:23 AM   #6751
Executive Chef

"It's a Wonderful Life" yesterday on one of the Freeview channels. Love it!

The last thing I saw in the cinema was "A Walk in the Woods" - OK, quite funny but I wouldn't have missed much if I hadn't gone to see it.

The best one I've seen this year was the Helen Mirren "Woman in Gold". I don't generally like H.M. but this was really good.

Have I told you about our local cinema? It's privately owned and hasn't changed much since I was a little girl apart from the current owner/manager removing alternate rows of seats so you have plenty of room to stretch out your legs. The decor is kept smart but is as near to the original "art deco" style as possible. There are usherettes to show you to your seat and in the interval a lady comes round with a tray of ice cream. They get all the latest films and if something is going well it's kept over - "Spectre", the latest James Bond, was on for nearly 5 weeks! In school holidays there's a children's film on in the early evening as well as the main feature at 8pm. And it's half the price of the big multiplexes.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:44 PM   #6752
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
"It's a Wonderful Life" yesterday on one of the Freeview channels. Love it!

The last thing I saw in the cinema was "A Walk in the Woods" - OK, quite funny but I wouldn't have missed much if I hadn't gone to see it.

The best one I've seen this year was the Helen Mirren "Woman in Gold". I don't generally like H.M. but this was really good.

Have I told you about our local cinema? It's privately owned and hasn't changed much since I was a little girl apart from the current owner/manager removing alternate rows of seats so you have plenty of room to stretch out your legs. The decor is kept smart but is as near to the original "art deco" style as possible. There are usherettes to show you to your seat and in the interval a lady comes round with a tray of ice cream. They get all the latest films and if something is going well it's kept over - "Spectre", the latest James Bond, was on for nearly 5 weeks! In school holidays there's a children's film on in the early evening as well as the main feature at 8pm. And it's half the price of the big multiplexes.
There aren't too many little cinemas in this country. If there is a large multiplex in a nearby city, they pretty much cause the little ones to close. The little fishing village I lived in when I was in Texas, only showed movies on Saturday. And they were definitely not the latest. Saturday afternoon they showed cartoons for the kids. If you wanted any more entertainment than that, you had to go to a barroom that had a band for dancing or head on to Corpus Christi. About 20 miles away. Oh yeah, the barrooms and most places of business on the main street, still had a hitching post outside for the horses. So did the school along with a bike rack.

The reason for the hitching posts? It is illegal in this country as it is world wide, to drive when drunk. So a lot of the folks who lived on ranches or farms would come in on a horse. Then if they got drunk (which most of them did) there was no law about riding a horse on the way home if you were drunk. But the entertainment at the end on the night was to watch the idiots trying to get on their horse.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:59 PM   #6753
Master Chef

Well, there's yet another blanket statement..
Quote:
There aren't too many little cinemas in this country.
There certainly are! Both Cheryl and I enjoy our little movie houses in our small towns. Yours sounds wonderful MC. Mine has also been in this town since I was a little girl and the small town flavor of it hasn't changed either.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:05 PM   #6754
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Well, there's yet another blanket statement.. There certainly are! Both Cheryl and I enjoy our little movie houses in our small towns. Yours sounds wonderful MC. Mine has also been in this town since I was a little girl and the small town flavor of it hasn't changed either.

The little cinema back in my tiny home town has also been in business since before I was born, and continues to play current, first run movies.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:33 PM   #6755
Chef Extraordinaire

We also have a historic art-deco movie house in my little city. They serve meals, beer and wine with first-run movies, or you can sit in the balcony and get snacks. Love going there.
http://www.commodoretheatre.com/index.php

And next door in Norfolk, there's a theater that shows more independent movies.
http://www.narocinema.com
Old 01-05-2016, 02:34 PM   #6756
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm watching "Eat, Pray, Love" right now. Recorded on the DVD last weekend.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:37 PM   #6757
Master Chef

Quote:
Well, there's yet another blanket statement.. There certainly are! Both Cheryl and I enjoy our little movie houses in our small towns. Yours sounds wonderful MC. Mine has also been in this town since I was a little girl and the small town flavor of it hasn't changed either.
And even in Boston!

Boston
The Coolidge Corner Theatre

The Coolidge has been a neighborhood staple since 1933, showcasing classics and cult hits in restored prints, and running annual all-night horror-movie marathons. Coolidge originals include events like Science on the Screen, which pairs films with lectures from real-world scientific counterparts—an astrophysicist for Jodie Foster’s Contact, an anthropologist for David Bowie’s The Man Who Fell to Earth. The Coolidge’s gorgeously renovated Art Deco theater with a genuine silver screen showcases big-name releases, while smaller theaters and digital screening rooms showcase lesser-known films and documentaries.

Old 01-05-2016, 03:35 PM   #6758
Master Chef

Quote:
And even in Boston!

Boston
The Coolidge Corner Theatre
The Coolidge has been a neighborhood staple since 1933, showcasing classics and cult hits in restored prints, and running annual all-night horror-movie marathons. Coolidge originals include events like Science on the Screen, which pairs films with lectures from real-world scientific counterparts—an astrophysicist for Jodie Foster’s Contact, an anthropologist for David Bowie’s The Man Who Fell to Earth. The Coolidge’s gorgeously renovated Art Deco theater with a genuine silver screen showcases big-name releases, while smaller theaters and digital screening rooms showcase lesser-known films and documentaries.
Yep, Addie - as Kay and others have said, the little cinemas are all over the world. You just have to look. In my small town our Historical Society has 'Classic Movie Night' every week. Big screen (not as big as the big cinema houses, but big enough), holds about 75 people, free admission (although everyone who goes to enjoy these always donates something) and a snack bar. Fun movies on Classic Movie Night - last week it was the original Ocean's 11 with the rat pack, this week it's How to Marry a Millionaire with Marilyn Monroe and Betty Grable.

I really miss the Drive In Theaters. There's actually still a few not too far from me. We used to take the girls when they were little and ours was still in operation. Lots of fun to set up lawn chairs on a warm summer night and watch a REALLY big screen.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:36 PM   #6759
Master Chef

How to Marry a Millionaire - oh, my. That was so funny. Loved it.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:21 PM   #6760
Master Chef

This rainy afternoon I spent curled up on the couch smelling the pot of Chili Verde on the stove and watching "Admissions" with Tina Faye and her mother played by Lilly Tomlin. What a good drama with some laughs!