"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-18-2016, 10:21 PM   #6811
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What's the last movie you watched?

Me too! As long as Kayelle doesn't crinkle her bag of chicharrones. The guy behind me about drove me nuts with his crinkling candy.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:32 PM   #6812
Master Chef

What fun that would be! I'd like to see Brooklyn and also Room.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:32 PM   #6813
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

My mom told me about her first viewing of "Gone With the Wind." She and two of her girlfriends brought a roll of toilet paper, and just stretched it across to each other.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:49 AM   #6814
Master Chef

There is a small New England chain that has a location a few towns over - still, a 20 minute drive. Their senior rate is $9.50. Really? I mean, they converted an old Linen-n-Things location to a multi-screen theater. With running 9 different movies right now, and starting times for all the movies look like each film needs its own theater, I can't imagine the screens are a whole lot bigger than my TV.

BTW, when it comes to odd, edible contraband taken into a movie, back a few lifetimes ago when my SIL and I were both single, we went on a double date to see "M.A.S.H.". (She ended up marrying her date. Me, not so much.) Since we both love black olives, I drained an entire can and put it into a plastic lunch bag. Later, when we were at the movie, I pulled out my treat and asked her if she wanted any! Needless to say, they were all gone by the time the movie was over.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:29 AM   #6815
Master Chef

$9.50? That's a ridiculous senior rate. Our little theater has 4 current movies being shown and believe me, the screens and surround sound is unlike any home theater, for $6.50. I understand the building here was once the local bowling alley before my time.
As you say CG, different strokes for different folks, but for me, some movies are just more impressive in a theater. You're so right about potty breaks though, they won't put the movie on pause. Drat.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 02:48 PM   #6816
Master Chef

Yeah, $9.50 for seniors is pretty steep.
Our local vintage theater here in Silverlake went through a complete renovation a few years back, kept its art deco theme, and removed every other row of seats.....plenty of leg room with unobstructed view of the entire screen. This theater is rated tops in L.A.
I think their regular going rate is just under $10, and less for seniors.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:04 PM   #6817
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What's the last movie you watched?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I'd love to go to the movies with you two ladies...with our coats, blankets, and smuggled goods....LOL

I can envision the three of us, in our coats, with Kayelle's stolen blankie spread out and draped over our legs, eating the chicharrones in the non-crinkle bag! We could split an Arnold Palmer!
Old 01-19-2016, 04:45 PM   #6818
Master Chef

Checked a few more theaters around here, and the one back home in our old city of residence. If we want to drive almost 20 miles and a half hour away, we old folks can get into a matinee for $8. What a deal!

Meanwhile, checking the cinema back home, which is marginally larger than the old Linen-n-Things two towns over, I find that they have $5 matinees for everyone. Seniors can get in for $5, any movie, anytime, with a $1.50 surcharge to anyone seeing a 3-D movie. Now those are the kinds of prices I like! Just one more reason (among many) for getting busy to get us moved back home.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:06 PM   #6819
Master Chef

Just watched Mildred Pierce (1945) with Joan Crawford. I put off watching it all of these years because I didn't really like Joan Crawford. But my daughter gave me a copy, so I watched it and I will say it was well worth the watch.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:05 PM   #6820
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
Just watched Mildred Pierce (1945) with Joan Crawford. I put off watching it all of these years because I didn't really like Joan Crawford. But my daughter gave me a copy, so I watched it and I will say it was well worth the watch.

I liked the version with Kate Winslet in it.