"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-03-2016, 12:27 PM   #6871
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
As I get older I find I no longer want to watch shows where children are hurting and hungry, people suffering, homes destroyed, people killed.
Reminds me of my dad. He made a similar comment to me once.
He rarely watches anything made from the 70's on to present.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:43 PM   #6872
Head Chef

Thumbs up

Quote:
As I get older I find I no longer want to watch shows where children are hurting and hungry, people suffering, homes destroyed, people killed. I think that is one mini series I am going to miss.
Agree - there is enough of that in reality, e.g. the news!

I favour rom-coms but I like a good suspense thriller too.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:26 PM   #6873
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
We went to see Kung fu panda 3 with kids. Not as much for the movie sale but rather for the seats experience. We have D Box seating. It's like a roller coaster ride. Seat shakes and moves with the movie action. Was not worth extra $8 bucks per seat. And the movie, who cares about stupid cartoon to begin with .

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
I do, I do...love Kung Fu Panda...reminds me, time to watch Kung Fu Hustle, again.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:01 AM   #6874
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Actually, rr, Dryfuss is the lead. I don't remember him being so, ahem, full in the face. He's a bit pudgy, like a slimy financial adviser should look.

If you decide to watch Madoff, you can access it from the ABC website. I think they offer the shows up a week after they've been on TV, and they limit the time that they are available. I know before our old tower computer conked out, Himself used to view a lot of stuff via Hulu. It took him around a year to bother doing the diagnosis, get over the fact that the motherboard was dead, order the parts, and rebuild. Since then, he discovered that Hulu really isn't a good option anymore. I'm no IT person, but is has something to do with the player that is now known to have security issues, but Hulu still insists on it being the player they offer shows through...or something like that. I don't know, I don't speak "Tech", I speak "Culinary".
Thanks, actually, my pirate site has it listed tonight so I could watch it. But I think I'm going to pass. Even with Richard Dreyfuss in the lead, it's still too early for me to think of it as entertainment. To me, it's still a painful history that never should have happened.

Quote:
As I get older I find I no longer want to watch shows where children are hurting and hungry, people suffering, homes destroyed, people killed. I think that is one mini series I am going to miss.
Sometimes I think it was easier to be younger with less of a conscience. I think a big part of getting older is seeing more and more of the big picture and being affected by it.

As for the next movie, I have Pillow Talk with Doris Day and Rock Hudson downloaded. I may watch that tonight.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:47 AM   #6875
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I have no interest in seeing "The Interview", but as a matter of principle, if I wanted to see it, now I can.
I'll watch it just to piss off Kim Jong Un (or whatever his name is).

In fact I'll watch it multiple times. Just to thumb my nose at another 2-bit tin-plated dictator.

The last movie I watched was the new Star Trek film. The theater actually had recliners instead of regular theater seats! I'm at an age where that make a he**uva difference.

I watched something fairly recently but can't remember the name of it that really touched me for some reason. It was a western ... had a "name brand" actress in the female lead ... the male lead was the older guy with the Southern accent from Men in Black ... it was about women on the frontier who went totally bonkers (due to the unremitting stress and in at least one case, a husband who was just fine with raping his wife who had JUST delivered a baby) and the 2 leads were supposed to take them to the nearest asylum, somewhere in Missouri I think.

My memory sucks. I can remember the movie, but not a single name, LOL!
Old 02-04-2016, 02:02 AM   #6876
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
...Even with Richard Dreyfuss in the lead, it's still too early for me to think of it as entertainment. To me, it's still a painful history that never should have happened...
I'm not watching it for "entertainment" so much as a character study. I do feel badly for some of the people - those who invested with a credible financial adviser who, in turn, invested blocks of money with Madoff. However, I cannot understand why someone would take ALL of their savings, invest all of it with someone who said they have a "sure thing", and then think they never had a hand in their own misery. Hello! Did your parents NOT teach you "don't put all your eggs in one basket"? Did they not tell you that there is no such thing as a "sure thing"? Yes, those people were duped. Yes, they had atrocious crimes committed against them. But they were silly in the beginning to trust someone with all of their money.

Madoff is scum. He was sentenced to 150 years in prison. I hope he lives to see every one of those years...in prison.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:54 PM   #6877
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I do, I do...love Kung Fu Panda...reminds me, time to watch Kung Fu Hustle, again.
well, maybe i would have different reaction if I had seen the first two.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:52 PM   #6878
Master Chef

"Unknown", with Liam Neesen. Watched it today on TNT...what a great movie! Lots of twists and turns...when I thought I had it figured out they threw a few curve balls. Good one. Don't really care about the mediocre reviews on rotten tomatoes...LOL. I thought it was a good one.
http://www.warnerbros.com/unknown
Old 02-04-2016, 10:29 PM   #6879
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
"Unknown", with Liam Neesen. Watched it today on TNT...what a great movie! Lots of twists and turns...when I thought I had it figured out they threw a few curve balls. Good one. Don't really care about the mediocre reviews on rotten tomatoes...LOL. I thought it was a good one.
Unknown - WarnerBros.com - Movies
Thanks for that helpful link Cheryl! That looks like a good one and I really like Liam, I'll look for it!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:51 PM   #6880
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Barbarian View Post

I watched something fairly recently but can't remember the name of it that really touched me for some reason. It was a western ... had a "name brand" actress in the female lead ... the male lead was the older guy with the Southern accent from Men in Black ... it was about women on the frontier who went totally bonkers (due to the unremitting stress and in at least one case, a husband who was just fine with raping his wife who had JUST delivered a baby) and the 2 leads were supposed to take them to the nearest asylum, somewhere in Missouri I think. LOL!
The Homesman with Tommy Lee Jones and Hillary Swank.