"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-04-2016, 11:11 PM   #6881
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Thanks for that helpful link Cheryl! That looks like a good one and I really like Liam, I'll look for it!
Oh, you and the SC would love it, Kay. Lots of action and suspense. I'm with ya, Liam is so . I just happened to be scrolling through movies on a lazy day today and found that. It's a good one.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:23 PM   #6882
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I'm not watching it for "entertainment" so much as a character study. I do feel badly for some of the people - those who invested with a credible financial adviser who, in turn, invested blocks of money with Madoff. However, I cannot understand why someone would take ALL of their savings, invest all of it with someone who said they have a "sure thing", and then think they never had a hand in their own misery. Hello! Did your parents NOT teach you "don't put all your eggs in one basket"? Did they not tell you that there is no such thing as a "sure thing"? Yes, those people were duped. Yes, they had atrocious crimes committed against them. But they were silly in the beginning to trust someone with all of their money.

Madoff is scum. He was sentenced to 150 years in prison. I hope he lives to see every one of those years...in prison.
I DVR'ed it, will probably watch it just to see Dreyfuss. I do like him as an actor. Agree with you about Madoff....the lousy bas***d deserves to spend the rest of his miserable life in prison.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:03 AM   #6883
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
How was Ted 2?
It was like Ted. Funny but not earth shattering.

We watched Cinderella Man last night. That was a good story.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:35 AM   #6884
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
It was like Ted. Funny but not earth shattering.

We watched Cinderella Man last night. That was a good story.
We did watch Ted 2 the other night, it caused discussion on what "a person/being" is. Like you said, "Funny but not earth shattering." Good price for a couple hours of entertainment, though.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:03 PM   #6885
Master Chef

Site Administrator

It was worth the rent at the box that is colored red.

We are watching The Railway Man now
Old 02-05-2016, 04:22 PM   #6886
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I DVR'ed it, will probably watch it just to see Dreyfuss. I do like him as an actor. Agree with you about Madoff....the lousy bas***d deserves to spend the rest of his miserable life in prison.
We DVR'd it too and watched the first half last night. Sickening. I can't wait till tonight to enjoy what's coming to him. Richard Dreyfuss is really effective in the role.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:39 PM   #6887
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
We DVR'd it too and watched the first half last night. Sickening. I can't wait till tonight to enjoy what's coming to him. Richard Dreyfuss is really effective in the role.
He sure is! I watched the other half this morning. I don't think this is giving anything away, but it's great to watch him unravel in part 2 when he realizes the jig is up. I feel so bad for his family, it really took a toll on them too, as well as the victims.

I think there's a federal law that prohibits convicted felons from profiting off their crimes, but if Madoff did receive any royalties or whatever from the film, I sure hope it went to restitution for the victims. Not that it would be much more than a drop in the bucket though, compared to the billions he bilked people out of. Grrrrr.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:20 PM   #6888
Master Chef

Since the micro-series was produced by ABC, Cheryl, and not Madoff, I'm going to guess the victims will end up with nada. If you also recorded/watched the hour long show after the series, I noticed they did talk to the real secretary and a few others who were affected by Madoff's actions. The secretary even assisted with some of the details, such as how Madoff treated his sons while at work. Like dirt, apparently.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:29 PM   #6889
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Since the micro-series was produced by ABC, Cheryl, and not Madoff, I'm going to guess the victims will end up with nada. If you also recorded/watched the hour long show after the series, I noticed they did talk to the real secretary and a few others who were affected by Madoff's actions. The secretary even assisted with some of the details, such as how Madoff treated his sons while at work. Like dirt, apparently.
Makes sense about the production rights, CG. And YIKES...I didn't even notice until right after part 2 ended that there was a behind the scenes filming with those who actually worked with him. DRAT! I should have paid more attention when I was DVRing it. Maybe ABC will have that on their site and I can watch it.

On a side note....I thought Blythe Danner was wonderful as Ruth Madoff in this. Did you know she's Gwyneth Paltrow's mother? Probably everyone know this by now...LOL
Old 02-06-2016, 01:24 AM   #6890
Master Chef

We finished the Madoff thing tonight. The only good thing I can say about the SOB is he kept his sons off the 17th floor of dirty tricks. Now Ruth has two dead sons. Tragic for everyone, and the SOB is a prison celebrity.
Cheryl, we too didn't DVR the after show, but found it at ABC.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote