"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-13-2016, 12:31 PM   #7051
Master Chef

We watched ROOM on Amazon last night. Depressing film, based on a true story, about a young woman and her little son held captive in a backyard shed for several years. Sad part was her son who was born and raised in the shed has never seen the outside.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:17 PM   #7052
Head Chef

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
We watched ROOM on Amazon last night. Depressing film, based on a true story, about a young woman and her little son held captive in a backyard shed for several years. Sad part was her son who was born and raised in the shed has never seen the outside.
I imagine the uplifting part though was when they got their freedom... did this compensate for the depressing mood of the film or was it too briefly shown?

Old 05-13-2016, 01:27 PM   #7053
Master Chef

^^^ Somewhat uplifting, but the last third of the film dealt with them adjusting back to 'normal' life. Still a struggle, and not really a 'happy' ending.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:21 PM   #7054
Master Chef

I just finished watching "My Name is Doris" with Sally Field. I've always enjoyed her work and this one didn't disappoint. You can stream it for free here...
Watch Hello My Name Is Doris For Free On 123Movies.to

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:39 PM   #7055
Master Chef

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
I imagine the uplifting part though was when they got their freedom... did this compensate for the depressing mood of the film or was it too briefly shown?
Quote:
^^^ Somewhat uplifting, but the last third of the film dealt with them adjusting back to 'normal' life. Still a struggle, and not really a 'happy' ending.
Brie Larson sure deserved the Oscar she won as best actress this year.
I agree it was a heart wrenching story most especially the first half while they were captive. If that had lasted any longer I couldn't have continued to watch it, but to me the second half made up for it. It wasn't something I'd watch again but I'm sure glad I saw it. It was a very meaningful but difficult film imo.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:38 PM   #7056
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What's the last movie you watched?

A very sanitized version of Prince's Purple Rain on VH1. They bleeped a lot. It wasn't as good as I remember when I saw it when it first came out, but I enjoyed the music.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:10 AM   #7057
Chef Extraordinaire

The King's Speech. Really enjoyed it. Time to make another trip to the library.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:06 AM   #7058
Assistant Cook

Watched the Kingsmen. I have seen it before but not for a long time. Fun stylish almost parady of bond movies.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:34 PM   #7059
Master Chef

East Side Sushi. An ok film about a Latina aspiring to become a sushi chef. It immediately reminded me of the movie The Ramen Girl. A bit corny like The Ramen Girl, very similar story line, but The Ramen Girl was a much better film.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:00 PM   #7060
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I just finished watching "My Name is Doris" with Sally Field. I've always enjoyed her work and this one didn't disappoint. You can stream it for free here...
Watch Hello My Name Is Doris For Free On 123Movies.to
Thank you for the link, Kay! I'll definitely be watching this - it hasn't played yet in my local theater, not sure if it's going to. I love Sally Field!