"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-25-2016, 02:17 PM   #7111
Master Chef

Went to see Star Trek last night. I end up going for the last showing at 10:20, I think I may have fallen asleep some time during the last part of the movie. Will have to go again. This time when I am not so tired.
As far as review goes, I think I liked this one the least out of three.

Old 07-25-2016, 02:25 PM   #7112
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I just finished watching another Harrison Ford movie Dawg. This is more recent called The Age of Adaline, and I loved it. https://www.amazon.com/Age-Adaline-B...CY1DX0G2VNGHTB

If anyone shares my love of the old Christopher Reeves movie Somewhere In Time, The Age of Adaline is a must see.
Yes, I've seen both films and loved them both. I saw Somewhere In Time when it first came out in the theaters back in '81, I think?

Old 07-25-2016, 04:02 PM   #7113
Wine Guy

Went to see "Star Trek Beyond" last night in full-blown IMAX 3D. The theater I went to even serves wine by the glass, so I took advantage of that as well.

So I will just say right off the bat that I am a die hard Star Trek fan and have been for 50 years now. Of the three most recent JJ Abram Trek movies, I would have to agree with CharlieD that "Beyond" is probably the weakest. But, despite a couple of glaring plot holes and overly cheesy moments, I still found it entertaining. It had plenty of action, humor, and interesting alien species - everything you expect in a Trek film.

I also have to say that 3D technology has really come into its own. The theater I went to just started using new glasses that are much lighter in weight (and non-headache inducing) than the previous versions. I thought the 3D quality of the film was absolutely seamless and had beautiful clarity on the huge screen. After a few minutes I totally forgot it was in 3D and felt immersed in the experience. Same thing when I saw "The Life of Pets" last week. Hard to believe you can feel like you are enveloped in a 3D cartoon world, but you can.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:49 PM   #7114
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Went to see "Star Trek Beyond" last night in full-blown IMAX 3D. The theater I went to even serves wine by the glass, so I took advantage of that as well.

So I will just say right off the bat that I am a die hard Star Trek fan and have been for 50 years now. Of the three most recent JJ Abram Trek movies, I would have to agree with CharlieD that "Beyond" is probably the weakest. But, despite a couple of glaring plot holes and overly cheesy moments, I still found it entertaining. It had plenty of action, humor, and interesting alien species - everything you expect in a Trek film.

I also have to say that 3D technology has really come into its own. The theater I went to just started using new glasses that are much lighter in weight (and non-headache inducing) than the previous versions. I thought the 3D quality of the film was absolutely seamless and had beautiful clarity on the huge screen. After a few minutes I totally forgot it was in 3D and felt immersed in the experience. Same thing when I saw "The Life of Pets" last week. Hard to believe you can feel like you are enveloped in a 3D cartoon world, but you can.
I also saw it in 3-D. Have to agree 3-D is definitely great nowadays. Especially for a movie with so many special effects it adds a lot to the experience.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:09 AM   #7115
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I just finished watching another Harrison Ford movie Dawg. This is more recent called The Age of Adaline, and I loved it. https://www.amazon.com/Age-Adaline-B...CY1DX0G2VNGHTB
Thanks for the link. I can never find anything on Amazon . Watched it last night, stayed till 1 in the morning, could not stop. Definitely a chick flick, . Loved it. Thank you.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:01 PM   #7116
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Oh, my! We had such a wonderful time watching The Legend of Bagger Vance, which we had recorded quite a while ago.

I knew it was something about golf, which really doesn't do much for either of us, but the cast included Matt Damon and Will Smith, so we added it to our queue.

Boy, oh boy! It was so much more than good old golf. We both loved it. Don't miss it.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:50 PM   #7117
Head Chef

I know this western movie is old. I saw it the TCM channel the other night. "Support Your Local Sheriff", starring James Garner and Joan Hackett and Walter Brennen and Jack Elam. James Garner acts cool and smooth as the new sheriff in a mining town. Joan Hackett is pretty (her character is smitten with the new handsome sheriff) and Walter Brennen is perfect as the mean, ornery patriarch of the family without much brains.

Here's a scene I like. Joan Hackett is more than happy to deliver lunch to James Garner at the sheriff's office. Watch out tho...a string of bad men want to challenge the new fast draw sheriff.

https://vimeo.com/176516898
Old 07-29-2016, 03:54 AM   #7118
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I love btoh Bagger Vance and Support Your Local Sheriff...they are both great movies. Besides...James Garner....swooooon....
Old 07-31-2016, 07:48 PM   #7119
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

We went to the Sunday matinee of Finding Dory. It was OK, but we both liked Finding Nemo better.

We were two of four in the theater.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:07 PM   #7120
Master Chef

In my hammock while camping last night I watched Pawn Sacrifice. Fascinating film about Bobby Fischer, the famous chess player.
The film covered his childhood chess playing years up to becoming Grand Champion and ultimately defeating the Soviet World Champion. And of course, his psychological issues was a major focal point in this film.