"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2017, 11:49 PM   #7541
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I was sure all set to be inspired, as I was familiar with the story. If your husband was actually there, I'd certainly go see it Addie.
Here's some background for those who don't know about Dunkirk. It's not so surprising that many Americans don't know the story, as it was before American involvement in the war.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunkirk_evacuation
Thank you Kayelle. My husband had been hiding in the cellar of a French Resistance family. They had previous word that the English were going to issue an order for their soldiers and others to be rescued. At first they were going to send only the Navy. But the Resistance radioed England about how many soldiers had become stranded. That is when Churchill sent out the order for ALL boats, regardless of size or purpose to get across the channel and help in the rescue operation. The children in the family were told to play outside near the door, but to keep an eye on the channel. When they saw all the boats coming, they notified their family. That is when my husband came up from the cellar and headed for the coast. The family gave him two bottles of wine. He was up to his neck in the water and was determined he was NOT GOING TO LOSE THOSE TWO BOTTLES. He almost drowned trying to get into a rescue boat while holding on to those bottles. Someone managed to get him in the boat. And he brought the wine back to England with him.

He later was sent back into battle in India. He was captured, escaped, got back to England and sent back into battle. Captured again, back to England. This time he was assigned to being a messenger on a bicycle around London. To send him back, if the Germans found out that he had been captured and escaped twice, they would have shot him on the spot.

He never said a word of what it was like in battle. Just that he did kill some Germans. That was all he would say.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:12 AM   #7542
Chef Extraordinaire

We watched "No Escape" 2015 on Netflix tonight. Holy moley...if you like an edge of the seat, nail chewing thriller this is it! We were both exhausted when it was over. Durn good flick!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:47 AM   #7543
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Thank you Kayelle. My husband had been hiding in the cellar of a French Resistance family. They had previous word that the English were going to issue an order for their soldiers and others to be rescued. At first they were going to send only the Navy. But the Resistance radioed England about how many soldiers had become stranded. That is when Churchill sent out the order for ALL boats, regardless of size or purpose to get across the channel and help in the rescue operation. The children in the family were told to play outside near the door, but to keep an eye on the channel. When they saw all the boats coming, they notified their family. That is when my husband came up from the cellar and headed for the coast. The family gave him two bottles of wine. He was up to his neck in the water and was determined he was NOT GOING TO LOSE THOSE TWO BOTTLES. He almost drowned trying to get into a rescue boat while holding on to those bottles. Someone managed to get him in the boat. And he brought the wine back to England with him.

He later was sent back into battle in India. He was captured, escaped, got back to England and sent back into battle. Captured again, back to England. This time he was assigned to being a messenger on a bicycle around London. To send him back, if the Germans found out that he had been captured and escaped twice, they would have shot him on the spot.

He never said a word of what it was like in battle. Just that he did kill some Germans. That was all he would say.
Best story that I have ever read on a cooking forum!
Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:58 AM   #7544
Head Chef

+ 1....

Ross
Old 07-24-2017, 03:30 PM   #7545
Master Chef

Went to Valerian yesterday. If it was not for fancy chairs and 3D movie, it would have been a total waste of time. Do not recommend to watch this at home. 3D at least creates nice view.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:30 PM   #7546
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
We watched "No Escape" 2015 on Netflix tonight. Holy moley...if you like an edge of the seat, nail chewing thriller this is it! We were both exhausted when it was over. Durn good flick!
I agree. I saw it a couple of weeks ago.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:20 AM   #7547
Cook

Just saw Dunkirk. I do not know how you guys did not like it. I thought it was absolutely amazing. Christopher Nolan has a great film vision and has done it again with another classic.
Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 01:12 AM   #7548
Chef Extraordinaire

Watched another thriller on Netflix tonight. "Last Passenger"..........Phew!! Good flick!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 01:33 AM   #7549
Chef Extraordinaire

King's Choice. I watched it three times. It is about the three days in April 1940 when the King of Norway had to make a decision and then went to England. I watched it German. Then with my Mom with English subtitles and then with my Dad with the Norwegian subtitles. Uff day.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:14 PM   #7550
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

War For The Planet Of The Apes excellent addition to the franchise.