"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-15-2018, 05:46 PM   #7871
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,892
True Conviction is a the latest documentary I watch and is fully free until the end of the month.

True Conviction | Video | Independent Lens | PBS

This documentary is on three people from Dallas that were wrongly convicted who help other people in jail they feel have been wrongly convicted get out of jail.

The documentary looks at the attempt by them to get a couple people out of jail. Both of them have been in jail for decades.

I think this was a solid look at the effort that they do and accomplishments they attempt to make.

This documentary does have some awards:

TRIBECA FILM FESTIVAL
Special Jury Mention for Best Documentary Feature

OAK CLIFF FILM FESTIVAL
Best Documentary Feature Grand Jury Prize

ANNAPOLIS FILM FESTIVAL
Audience Award - Best Documentary
__________________

__________________
Have you had your habanero pepper today????
The hotter the pepper, the better the pepper!!!
kleenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:52 PM   #7872
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,892
Another documentary I recently saw was this one..

New Wave: Dare to Be Different

The documentary about the little radio station that could until it was shut down WLIR. The radio station out of Long Island.

They made a change to airing New Wave music(The Cars, Depesch Mode, Blondie, Tears for Fears, etc...) in 1982 which no one in NYC was doing. Pissed off a few record labels by playing music months in advance of the USA debut and some other things well.

The documentary included interviews from many of the music stars of that time period and the whole documentary was a complete labor of love.

I have to give this documentary a bug thumbs up and a must see if you like New Wave music from that time period.
__________________

__________________
Have you had your habanero pepper today????
The hotter the pepper, the better the pepper!!!
kleenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:33 PM   #7873
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 21,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex View Post
Another documentary I recently saw was this one..

New Wave: Dare to Be Different

The documentary about the little radio station that could until it was shut down WLIR. The radio station out of Long Island.

They made a change to airing New Wave music(The Cars, Depesch Mode, Blondie, Tears for Fears, etc...) in 1982 which no one in NYC was doing. Pissed off a few record labels by playing music months in advance of the USA debut and some other things well.

The documentary included interviews from many of the music stars of that time period and the whole documentary was a complete labor of love.

I have to give this documentary a bug thumbs up and a must see if you like New Wave music from that time period.

This is not my type of music, but I am familiar with Blondie and The Cars. At that time, my kids were in or approaching their teen years. So lucky me, I got to hear it also. I would let them play it loudly (as kids are wont to do), but I hate it when big conglomerates run amok over the little guy who is just trying to make a living while sharing their passion with others.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:13 AM   #7874
Head Chef
 
phinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Surface of the Sun
Posts: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex View Post
Another documentary I recently saw was this one..

New Wave: Dare to Be Different
Being a kid of the '80s and one of those New Wave and Punk Rock club kids during that era, this is a documentary that I must watch. Thank you for the heads up!
__________________
It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:15 PM   #7875
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 11,964
I just watched a film on Netfilix I liked a lot..
Ed Harris in Kadocrome..


https://www.netflix.com/title/80216834
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:27 PM   #7876
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 9,142
Saw black panther. Again and again Hollywood brings the socialists ideas into movies. That’s the real propaganda for you. They slowly brainwashing the masses. Exactly what what was done pre Russian revolution.
People beware.
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:59 PM   #7877
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 20,567
Lol, Chuck.

I just watched Black Panther as well. It was good. About the same as any other Marvel comics movie.

As far as politics go, it's nonsense. I'd be pissed off about the storyline (if I were black) about Wakanda remaining neutral throughout the slave trade, and even into current day Africa and all reasons for African diaspora.

If anyone is basing any of their real opinions about life on superhero movies, they might want to re-think it.
__________________
Yesterday, I ordered a chicken and and egg from Amazon Prime.
I'll let you know.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:46 AM   #7878
Executive Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 3,260
I watched Game Night, with Jason Batemen. I always seem to like his movies and TV Shows. It was very good... very funny. Yeah, not realistic, but it is a comedy, so I cut it some slack. If you have a somewhat dry sense of humor, as I do, you will like it.

CD
__________________
"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it." -- Neil deGrasse Tyson
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:27 PM   #7879
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 6,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I watched Game Night, with Jason Batemen. I always seem to like his movies and TV Shows. It was very good... very funny...
I saw that last weekend, and liked it, too. It reminded me a lot of a movie called "Neighbors" with John Belushi and Dan Ackroyd that came out in the 80s. Kind of dark and absurdist.

I saw "Solo: A Star Wars Story" last night. I probably enjoyed it more than the critics because I didn't take it too seriously. It wasn't as dark as some of the more recent films in the series. It actually reminded me more of the original movie, which I think may have been director Ron Howard's intent.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:42 PM   #7880
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 37,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I saw that last weekend, and liked it, too. It reminded me a lot of a movie called "Neighbors" with John Belushi and Dan Ackroyd that came out in the 80s. Kind of dark and absurdist.

I saw "Solo: A Star Wars Story" last night. I probably enjoyed it more than the critics because I didn't take it too seriously. It wasn't as dark as some of the more recent films in the series. It actually reminded me more of the original movie, which I think may have been director Ron Howard's intent.
Thank you for your critique of the film, I take more stock in what you have to say about it than I do the so-called professional critics.
__________________

__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.