"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2019, 12:45 AM   #8431
Chef Extraordinaire

I also loved The Upside Casey. Too bad it hasn't gotten the credit it deserves.

I knew next to nothing about Kevin Heart but I became an instant fan because of this film. Cranston, well he's terrific in most everything. It's just durn good entertainment.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 01:11 AM   #8432
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I also loved The Upside Casey. Too bad it hasn't gotten the credit it deserves.

I knew next to nothing about Kevin Heart but I became an instant fan because of this film. Cranston, well he's terrific in most everything. It's just durn good entertainment.
Kevin Hart tends to go over the top. He dialed it back on this one.

I could really feel Bryan Cranston's role in this movie. I was really glad to see Kevin Hart find himself in this movie.

CD

Old 06-04-2019, 07:29 PM   #8433
Master Chef

Quote:
Thanks for the great report Cheryl. Both the SC and I can't wait to see it.

You're welcome! I hope you like it...IMO the acting was top notch. There were definitely some dark scenes, but that was the reality of Elton's life.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:19 AM   #8434
Executive Chef

Searching Netflix for Clint Eastwood movies, I found this documentary..

Sad Hill Unearthed

"Film fans restore the set of the climatic graveyard scene from the iconic spaghetti western "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly."

Initial release: October 19, 2018 (Spain)
Director: Guillermo De Oliveira
Screenplay: Guillermo De Oliveira
Nominations: Goya Award for Best Documentary Film
Producers: Guillermo De Oliveira, Luisa Cowell

James Hetfield of Metallica fame talks about his enjoyment of the original movie..

Other fans might enjoy this as we did..

Ross
Old 06-08-2019, 01:32 PM   #8435
Chef Extraordinaire

We saw Rocketman yesterday. There were sure some scenes I could have done without, but on a whole it was a really entertaining movie. I could hardly sit still with the terrific music and dancing. I'm so glad Elton's life is so worth living for him now.

Old 06-08-2019, 05:44 PM   #8436
Master Chef

Quote:
We saw Rocketman yesterday. There were sure some scenes I could have done without, but on a whole it was a really entertaining movie. I could hardly sit still with the terrific music and dancing. I'm so glad Elton's life is so worth living for him now.
Completely agree with you there, Kay. There was nothing sugar coated in this movie, that's for sure. The music and dancing really drew me in as well. The little guys who played Elton as a child were superb little actors!

I'm also really happy for Elton - he conquered his demons and has been clean and sober for decades, and happily married with children.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:22 PM   #8437
Head Chef

Wink Mean Girls

I had never seen Mean Girls until I was inspired to watch it this afternoon. It was funnier than I expected. Especially the first hour when Mean was unapologetically shown in all its glory. The last half-hour gets kind of kumbaya-ish and everybody lives kinder and wiser ever after. That part isn't as realistic or as much fun but it still has its moments.

Old bachelor cook
skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:29 PM   #8438
Chef Extraordinaire

They've been advertising "The Life of Pets II" lately, which made us realize we never saw "I". Watched it last night. It had funny parts, it was cute, but the bunny was over the top. Glad to read that the sequel has turned down the nasty volume for that character. The one author of the one preview I read said that he liked the sequel better than the original. We'll see that one...probably 2-3 years after it's been released to DVD. We aren't exactly current with movies.

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you. ~ BB King
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:00 AM   #8439
Chef Extraordinaire

My daughter took me to see "Mama Mia". So you can see I am not much of a movie watcher.

But the one movie I watch with interest was the one with Yul Brenner about seven men who went to a Mexican village to defend it. I was in California visiting some friends. The wife took a nap and her husband and I watched the whole movie together. I had seen it before, but this time it was special. No kids to interrupt or anyone to talk to except her husband.

I later heard him telling his wife what good company I was when watching a movie. No one to interrupt him. His wife knew what he meant. She started to give out a good laugh.

About a year later, his wife wanted to know if I was going to visit again. Her husband wanted to watch a movie without interruptions. We both laughed at that one. Unfortunately there were no travel plans in my future.
Old 06-22-2019, 04:26 PM   #8440
Chef Extraordinaire

Last night we watched The Snow Walker on Amazon Prime. We both really enjoyed it. Check out the trailer..