What's the last movie you watched?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I thought it was very good. I have read the books and knew the story. The screenplay writer picked the high points from the novel and wove them into the movie so that if there are sequels, the threads to Elisabet's back story were introduced in the movie.

We went & saw sherlock holmes tonight. My daughter(13) & dh liked it. Me, not so much.

I love Jeff Goldblum movies. I didn't care for the fly though (to gross LOL I prefer the original and I don't even want to talk about the 2nd one with Eric Stoltz BRRR). One of my favorite Jeff roles was in Vibes. Has anyone seen that? Cindy Lauper and Peter Falk were in it. I love Jeff's quirkiness. Another fav is Independence Day

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I thought it was very good. I have read the books and knew the story. The screenplay writer picked the high points from the novel and wove them into the movie so that if there are sequels, the threads to Elisabet's back story were introduced in the movie.

I went to the movies to see it also, CWS. I have not read the book. While I thought the story and the acting were excellent, the two rape scenes disturbed me to the point of physical and emotional nausea, like nothing I've ever seen before, and I don't shock all that easily.
If anyone has the slightest thought of seeing this movie with a youngster thinking the R rating is tame.....think again. The scenes could have been dealt with effectively in a more creative and less graphic way. It really makes me wonder why these film makers can't be more creative and less gross. Grrrr....

Last edited:
I went to the movies to see it also, CWS. I have not read the book. While I thought the story and the acting were excellent, the two rape scenes disturbed me to the point of physical and emotional nausea, like nothing I've ever seen before, and I don't shock all that easily.
If anyone has the slightest thought of seeing this movie with a youngster thinking the R rating is tame.....think again. The scenes could have been dealt with effectively in a more creative and less graphic way. It really makes me wonder why these film makers can't be more creative and less gross. Grrrr....

The scenes were equally disturbing in the book, Kayelle. One reason I do not want to see the movie.

The scenes were equally disturbing in the book, Kayelle. One reason I do not want to see the movie.
I had hoped that the rape scene and the scene where she gets her revenge, would be omitted. I found the graphic description of it in the book more disturbing. However, to fill in the back story should the other two books be made into English movies, the guardian had to be included and his role in the whole plot as to why she was institutionalized and how this was acccomplished.

I had hoped that the rape scene and the scene where she gets her revenge, would be omitted. I found the graphic description of it in the book more disturbing. However, to fill in the back story should the other two books be made into English movies, the guardian had to be included and his role in the whole plot as to why she was institutionalized and how this was acccomplished.

Absolutely integral to the stories...but not something I need to watch on a screen.

Absolutely integral to the stories...but not something I need to watch on a screen.

how do you portray deeply disturbing rape events in a film without graphics? now that you have this deeply disturbing concept in your mind, how would you realistically convey it in a movie? it cannot be done tastefully and effectively at the same time, imo....

how do you portray deeply disturbing rape events in a film without graphics? now that you have this deeply disturbing concept in your mind, how would you realistically convey it in a movie? it cannot be done tastefully and effectively at the same time, imo....

I agree and it's my choice to NOT watch violence like that. My life has enough trauma in it without watching fictional trauma. I adore the books, but will not watch the movies.

I have not gone to a movie in a movie theater for over 20 years. I could not stop reading the books when I read them, so this was one movie I wanted to see on the big screen. There is a lot of violence across the three books--I think the 2nd one in the trilogy has the most violence, but none of the others have sexual violence, if I recall.

If there is a book I want to read, I will not see the movie. It never does the story the justice that the book does. :chef:

I am a history buff and knew about the speech impediment. He worked so hard to overcome it. You have to admire someone like that. I love Colin firth. :chef:

I am so horrible with dates, I was a bit lost until he called his daughters by name, Elizabeth and Margaret, then I knew who everyone was and understood the surrounding history.

I have to do, for me, complex math to figure out what year I married Shrek.

I went and saw "War Horse" today and enjoyed it a lot. I had a purse full of tissues ready but I didn't need them. Because of the beautiful cinematography, it really should be seen in a theater.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom