What's the last movie you watched?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Omigosh! How fun, funny, silly, enjoyable...

Last night we watched Mr. & Mrs. Smith, which we'd recorded off our dish some while ago. It's a Brad Pitt/Angelina Jolie movie that is pure mental chewing gum but all fun.

They're a married couple who are both guns for hire but...neither of them knows that's what each of them does for a living. Well, it gets pretty complex from there.

We laughed out loud at some of the antics and I'm sure we missed parts because we were laughing at something.

Pure fun escapism!

While it is a new series (on HBO so it is more movie like) has any one caught Black Sails?

Through 3 episodes I am really digging it.

from the Netflix library: 'The Gathering Storm' - an up-close and personal look at Winston Churchill during the period of 1935-1939. Great portrayal by Albert Finney with Vanessa Redgrave as his Clementine. For the first time I replayed it with the makers' remarks -- found out that the red line behind which the opposition must stay in Parliament is the origin of the expression 'toe-ing the line.'

from the Netflix library: 'The Gathering Storm' - an up-close and personal look at Winston Churchill during the period of 1935-1939. Great portrayal by Albert Finney with Vanessa Redgrave as his Clementine. For the first time I replayed it with the makers' remarks -- found out that the red line behind which the opposition must stay in Parliament is the origin of the expression 'toe-ing the line.'

Oh, I loved that---- love almost anything about Churchill. I just put it in my queue again! Thanks for the reminder.

I am not into movies much. I would rather read a book. The only movies I watch are usually made-for-tv movies like on Lifetime. I like to watch shows like Real Stories of the ER, or those re-inacted murder mysteries.

I love those parts of the DVDs, I spend a day watching the ones on the movies we have watched. Shrek doesn't like them, so he watches football and I get to watch the DVD additions.

Lilyhammer (the series) has me hooked. I didn't realize I didn't have the subtitles on for the 7th show of the 2nd season until the main character was speaking English...up until then, the characters were all speaking Norwegian and I was able to catch the gist...

Lilyhammer (the series) has me hooked. I didn't realize I didn't have the subtitles on for the 7th show of the 2nd season until the main character was speaking English...up until then, the characters were all speaking Norwegian and I was able to catch the gist...

I tried watching Lillyhammer but the lack of closed captioning or SDH kept me from continuing.

There's a difference between Closed Captioning (or SDH) and subtitles, as you noticed above. I've finally learned to be suspicious of DVDs that say they have subtitles.

Sheesh------ Now I get to prove I'm a liar!
After just saying that subtitles aren't the same as CC (which they aren't, usually) I was at Netflix and looking at at the discs available for the third year in a series (that I KNOW had CC because I've watched the previous two years) I find this:

"Subtitles
English, French, Spanish (Neutral), Portuguese (Brazilian)"

Thank you, Netflix. Not.

I tried watching Lillyhammer but the lack of closed captioning or SDH kept me from continuing.

There's a difference between Closed Captioning (or SDH) and subtitles, as you noticed above. I've finally learned to be suspicious of DVDs that say they have subtitles.
The subtitles are a separate file so when viewing, one has to make sure to load the correct subtitle file and make sure the subtitles are turned on. When I watch on my computer, I use VLS as my media player. Another series that has me hooked is Broen (The Bridge). This one is set in Denmark and Sweden and has a riveting story line and excellent characters. I also enjoy the Varg Veum series.

The subtitles are a separate file so when viewing, one has to make sure to load the correct subtitle file and make sure the subtitles are turned on. When I watch on my computer, I use VLS as my media player. Another series that has me hooked is Broen (The Bridge). This one is set in Denmark and Sweden and has a riveting story line and excellent characters. I also enjoy the Varg Veum series.

I have my TV set to always play CC since I need that for all shows. I'm not deaf but what they called hearing impaired meaning that even with hearing aids I have a hard time distinguishing words---- esp. on the newer movies where there's so much ambient noise (music etc) that it's hard. The old movies (classics) don't give as much problem since the actors spoke clearly and didn't mutter as much. :rolleyes:

I'm looking into buying an All Regions DVD player. Many of the foreign movies aren't made for Region 1 (the U.S. mostly). I'm missing all the older Inspector Morse DVDs because of that and also some of the Nordic mysteries that I love.

But my library received a very large collection of DVDs with SDH or CC and because of that I can reserve some of the Nordic mysteries that Netflix doesn't have. (Some kind philanthropist donated that collection several years ago. The only downside is that there's often a very long waiting time for them, but that's o.k.)

I was able to watch Varg Veum because of that.

@CWS4322

I'm interested in the VLS you mentioned. Google keeps referring me to VLC when I type that in. Did you mis-type or is Google playing games?

Cave, I am also hearing impaired. I require the tv sound up a few clicks more than DH does. It annoys him. It also annoys my son who comes to our house and yells that the TV is up so loud he could hear it out in the driveway. He seems to forget his teen years when he used to play his stereo so loud in his room, with the door closed, that we couldn't hear the TV in the living room. I guess that was different.

I used to use CC, but that also annoys DH, so that stopped.

Cave, I am also hearing impaired. I require the tv sound up a few clicks more than DH does. It annoys him. It also annoys my son who comes to our house and yells that the TV is up so loud he could hear it out in the driveway. He seems to forget his teen years when he used to play his stereo so loud in his room, with the door closed, that we couldn't hear the TV in the living room. I guess that was different.

I used to use CC, but that also annoys DH, so that stopped.

:LOL: Yeah, I remember those years! That may be why still, many decades later, I still prefer a quiet house.

I live alone so I can use CC all I want, which I do. Since I live in an apartment, I'm sure my neighbors appreciate it also. :)
But it isn't always about turning the volume up-----it's missed words/syllables that are still missed if the volume is on high. I'm sure there are many varieties of hearing loss.

Just a question---- about your DH---- will he willingly answer your question(s) "What did he say?"

Time for two TVs? :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom