What's the last movie you watched?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tonight on TCM is one of my favorite Joseph Cotton movies. Portrait of Jennie, made in 1948. Also staring Jennifer Jones and Ethel Barrymore.

It is on my list of movies I want to see. Just trying to convince a fellow foodie to go with me.

I caught this movie on TVO the other night. I've watched it three times now, twice in German and once with English dubbing. Enjoyed it in German more than the dubbed version, but I don't like dubbed movies--the mouths don't work right! It is a good story and fun. It also makes my brain process German. Not a bad thing.

Mostly Martha (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Does DH speak or understand German? Better yet, you should practice your German with the girls. :angel:

I watched "All is Lost" on Netflix last night, starring Robert Redford. Actually, Redford was the only human in the movie. No dialogue, except a few words at the very beginning.

It was gripping, IMO. Robert Redford still has it at 78 years old. :)

"Deep into a solo voyage in the Indian Ocean, an unnamed man (Redford) wakes to find his 39-foot yacht taking on water after a collision with a shipping container left floating on the high seas. With his navigation equipment and radio disabled, the man sails unknowingly into the path of a violent storm. Despite his success in patching the breached hull, his mariner's intuition and a strength that belies his age, the man barely survives the tempest. Using only a sextant and nautical maps to chart his progress, he is forced to rely on ocean currents to carry him into a shipping lane in hopes of hailing a passing vessel. But with the sun unrelenting, sharks circling and his meager supplies dwindling, the ever-resourceful sailor soon finds himself staring his mortality in the face."

Tonight on TCM is one of my favorite Joseph Cotton movies. Portrait of Jennie, made in 1948. Also staring Jennifer Jones and Ethel Barrymore.
Oh, I loved "A Portrait of Jenny". It's the first film I remember seeing on my Grandmother's 9 inch screen, black and white television in about 1955. The screen was so small she have to have a special magnifying screen in front of it. I was only about 6 but I can remember that film vividly. I've never seen it since.

If any of you haven't seen it, it was one of those make-people-feel-better wartime and post war films with benevolent ghosts, angels and films with a spiritual thread running through them eg "A matter of Life and Death", "The Ghost and Mrs Muir", "A Guy Named Joe", "It's A Wonderful Life"and "The Enchanted Cottage". It's been said by a number of film historians that these films were popular because thy gave people who had lost loved ones in the war some reassurance that there was "life after death".

Oh dear. The film geek-ess in me is surfacing!

Last edited:
Oh yes, and the last film I watched was "Casablanca" - again!

I almost have the dialogue off by heart and I still have a bit of a sniffle at various stages in the film.

what did you think of the last 2, andy?

i liked the batman one. very cool bad guy, a plot twist, and uncertainty as to the hero's well being to boot.

i initially balked at "the curve". i thought, "another sappy, turkey necked clint eastwood flick for cougars, er, i mean covered bridge afficionados?"

but it was an enjoyable story. amy adams made it worth the look playing off a stereotypical older eastwood.

I've seen "Trouble With the Curve" and really enjoyed it, Clint Eastwood notwithstanding. I liked the old scout dressing down the stats guy. How are SABRmetrics working out for you this year, Billy Beane? :LOL: Not that I can talk...my team decided to play for five months and one week this year... :(

what did you think of the last 2, andy?

i liked the batman one. very cool bad guy, a plot twist, and uncertainty as to the hero's well being to boot.

i initially balked at "the curve". i thought, "another sappy, turkey necked clint eastwood flick for cougars, er, i mean covered bridge afficionados?"

but it was an enjoyable story. amy adams made it worth the look playing off a stereotypical older eastwood.

Batman was OK. They'll keep throwing another flick to the public until we stop paying to see them. The twist caught me by surprise. I wanted to see what was under the mask.

I enjoyed "Curve" because I like baseball and I'm a sap for father/daughter movies. I could empathize with an old guy who's starting to "run down". My eyes are still pretty good but I need an ear trumpet.

Recently watched Cloud Atlas and Ted. Couldn't get into CA and turned it off. Didn't really care for Ted.

Our cable company is letting everyone watch HBO to entice you to buy. The more I watch, the more I feel I don't need it.

The Frozen Ground, about an Alaskan serial killer. John Cusack and Nick Cage, with the guy who played Hank on Breaking Bad. Sorry, I don't know his name, but he's born to play a cop.

i watched "the secret life of walter mitty" starring ben stiller this morning.

i kinda liked it.

then i tried to watch "the hobbit: desolation of smaug" and ended up fast forwarding through a lot of it.

how many hours of dwarves being chased by orcs can one person really stand?

Recently watched Cloud Atlas and Ted. Couldn't get into CA and turned it off. Didn't really care for Ted.

Our cable company is letting everyone watch HBO to entice you to buy. The more I watch, the more I feel I don't need it.

I have been down that road. Didn't care to repeat the trip. The always show their worst stuff during that week. :angel:

i kinda liked it.

then i tried to watch "the hobbit: desolation of smaug" and ended up fast forwarding through a lot of it.

Many years ago William Windom starred in "The Secret World of Walter Mitty. It didn't last past one season. :angel:

i kinda liked it.

Depends on how much Hobbit is in your background.

Depends on how much Hobbit is in your background.

My sister gave one of her daughters' a complete bound set of the Hobbit series when she was a teenager. She still has it and it is her most treasured possession. She is now in her 50's. And she still reads them over and over. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom