What's the last movie you watched?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We watched The Keep tonight. Boy was that badly done. Loved the book, and the whole Adversary cycle, but this movie had poor effects, bad script and bad editing. It felt like most of the movie wasn't there.

And it had some good names in it.

Oh lordy. We went to the Sunday matinee today to see this, and it was awesome! I see a few Oscars. We even got DH home in time to watch his beloved Hawkeyes. Non-stop action, and absolutely fascinating. Now I'm going to look into getting the book.

I had to chuckle. When DH went back home to get his glasses (that ended up already being in the car) I ordered a small Arnold Palmer (half ice tea, half lemonade) and a small popcorn. Got out a five. Not enough, the bill was $8.50! DH got back and also ordered a small AP, $4! Small profit margin, I think! The ingredients probably cost 27 cents!

Last edited:
That's one of the reasons we almost always watch our movies at home. That, and our recliners are more comfy than any theater style seats AND that the guy in the control booth is always reluctant to stop the movie when I need a potty break. :LOL: Himself never minds.

I figure it's going to be around $15 to go to the matinee by myself. It's $8.50 to get in, and I MUST have popcorn, which as Dawg mentioned, ups it another $5 or so for that ridiculously overpriced bag of popcorn. Usually I'll slip a couple of bottles of ice cold water in my purse :LOL: because I'm not much of a soft drink fan anyway.

I figure I don't go out to restaurants much or go to bars, I don't travel, and going to the matinee for something I REALLY want to see on a quiet weekday when I'm one of just a few people there, is one of my few guilty pleasures. :) The sound is loud as heck until I get used to it, and even in the summer I bring a sweatshirt because they keep the theatuh so dang cold. LOL. The chairs are comfy, and I love sitting in the back row and feeling like it's a private viewing. :LOL:

I'm really looking forward to seeing "Brooklyn". This sounds like a good one to me.
Brooklyn (2015) - IMDb

Eilis Lacey followed her sister, Rose's, plan to leave Ireland and find a better future and job in the US. She departs terribly, enduring seasickness and a terrible relationship with her cabin mates. A kind traveler gives her advice to live in Brooklyn, where many Irish immigrants live. Eilis settles in Brooklyn and becomes close to Father Flood, a Catholic priest. She gets a job in a department store and falls in love with an Italian boy named Tony. News from home sends Eilis back to Ireland, away from Tony.....

Yes, so loud and very cold! We kept our coats on, even though we'd dressed for the below zero temps to get to the theater. I still can't believe how lovely the chairs are, and how many features are there. DH gets the old fart discount for being over 60. I'll have to look for Brooklyn.

Ours is $8.50 for seniors (55+), children, matinees, and military. The general admission is $10.75, a little more for 3D. I've never seen a 3D film.

Plus of course, the arm and a couple of legs for snacks. :rolleyes::LOL:

We didn't get DH's old fart discount for the Star Wars 3D. They did give it to him for Revenant. I don't get a discount yet. I think it was $9 for me, and $7 for DH. They make it up in the extortion they get for drinks and popcorn.

We saw the latest Jurassic Park, as well as the latest Star Wars, and both were excellent in 3D. Keep in mind, after you take off the 3D glasses, you walk like a drunken sailor for a few minutes.

Last edited:
Since I'm off of carbs I take a baggie of Chicharrones stuffed in my big purse with a bottle of water, as I'm not much on sodas either. It's cheap for me to go at $6.50 for seniors. I agree it's always cold in there, and in addition to my jacket I always take a light weight blanket for my legs I snitched off of some airline.:LOL: I must sound like Maxine!!:ROFLMAO:

:LOL: I'd love to go to the movies with you two ladies...with our coats, blankets, and smuggled goods....LOL:ROFLMAO:

Me too! As long as Kayelle doesn't crinkle her bag of chicharrones. The guy behind me about drove me nuts with his crinkling candy.

Last edited:
My mom told me about her first viewing of "Gone With the Wind." She and two of her girlfriends brought a roll of toilet paper, and just stretched it across to each other.

There is a small New England chain that has a location a few towns over - still, a 20 minute drive. Their senior rate is $9.50. Really? I mean, they converted an old Linen-n-Things location to a multi-screen theater. With running 9 different movies right now, and starting times for all the movies look like each film needs its own theater, I can't imagine the screens are a whole lot bigger than my TV. :glare:

BTW, when it comes to odd, edible contraband taken into a movie, back a few lifetimes ago when my SIL and I were both single, we went on a double date to see "M.A.S.H.". (She ended up marrying her date. Me, not so much.) Since we both love black olives, I drained an entire can and put it into a plastic lunch bag. Later, when we were at the movie, I pulled out my treat and asked her if she wanted any! :LOL: Needless to say, they were all gone by the time the movie was over.

$9.50? That's a ridiculous senior rate. Our little theater has 4 current movies being shown and believe me, the screens and surround sound is unlike any home theater, for $6.50. I understand the building here was once the local bowling alley before my time.
As you say CG, different strokes for different folks, but for me, some movies are just more impressive in a theater. You're so right about potty breaks though, they won't put the movie on pause. Drat.

Last edited:
Yeah, $9.50 for seniors is pretty steep.
Our local vintage theater here in Silverlake went through a complete renovation a few years back, kept its art deco theme, and removed every other row of seats.....plenty of leg room with unobstructed view of the entire screen. This theater is rated tops in L.A.
I think their regular going rate is just under $10, and less for seniors.

:LOL: I'd love to go to the movies with you two ladies...with our coats, blankets, and smuggled goods....LOL:ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO: I can envision the three of us, in our coats, with Kayelle's stolen blankie spread out and draped over our legs, eating the chicharrones in the non-crinkle bag! We could split an Arnold Palmer!

Last edited:
Checked a few more theaters around here, and the one back home in our old city of residence. If we want to drive almost 20 miles and a half hour away, we old folks can get into a matinee for $8. What a deal! :LOL:

Meanwhile, checking the cinema back home, which is marginally larger than the old Linen-n-Things two towns over, I find that they have $5 matinees for everyone. Seniors can get in for $5, any movie, anytime, with a $1.50 surcharge to anyone seeing a 3-D movie. Now those are the kinds of prices I like! Just one more reason (among many) for getting busy to get us moved back home.

Just watched Mildred Pierce (1945) with Joan Crawford. I put off watching it all of these years because I didn't really like Joan Crawford. But my daughter gave me a copy, so I watched it and I will say it was well worth the watch.

Just watched Mildred Pierce (1945) with Joan Crawford. I put off watching it all of these years because I didn't really like Joan Crawford. But my daughter gave me a copy, so I watched it and I will say it was well worth the watch.

I liked the version with Kate Winslet in it.

Back
Top Bottom