What's the last movie you watched?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Watched "The Sting" again tonight. Dang, I love that movie. Doesn't hurt that eye candy Redford and Newman are in it either, though I did also have a major crush on Kid Twist as well.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is on Netflix Instant for you Newman and Redford fans.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2OdPDEG6aQ
What a neat little scene. :) The young actress, was she in The Graduate?

Last edited:
Mmm. More Redford and Newman eye candy! I don't get Netflix, sadly.

Katherine Ross was in "The Graduate", with Dustin Hoffman.

Mmm. More Redford and Newman eye candy! I don't get Netflix, sadly.

Katherine Ross was in "The Graduate", with Dustin Hoffman.

Oh yeah that's her.

My wife loves Harrison Ford and Sean Connery (and Paul Newman and Robert Redford). She says they're "manly". I guess I'm chopped liver. ;) She thinks Mel Gibson is over rated in the hunk dept..

No Netflix? I love Netflix -- no movies to return, just $8/month. Sure they don't have every single movie/TV show on there, but they have enough to keep me busy for like a gazillion years. Amazon Prime Instant Video is pretty good too.

Last edited:
Being out here in the sticks, our internet service consists of Verizon, which happily assigns overage charges along with its outrageously expensive monthly fees. Watching movies on Netflix, Amazon Prime, or anything else, is not an option. I can barely check my emails, DC, and FB! We do have DirecTV satellite, which is also exhorbitantly expensive.

Your wife has good taste, BTW.

Last edited:
Being out here in the sticks, our internet service consists of Verizon, which happily assigns overage charges along with its outrageously expensive monthly fees. Watching movies, Netflix, Amazon Prime, or anything else, is not an option. I can barely check my emails, DC, and FB!

Your wife has good taste, BTW.

Aw, thanks, I will let her know. :)

You can still use Netflix. They will physically mail you the DVD's. It's $8 a month for the 1 disc at a time plan and $12 for the 2 discs at a time plan. And the turnaround is fast. So if you watch a movie and return it, you should have the next movie on your list in like 3-4 days. So you could probably receive and watch like 8 or 9 movies a month if you want.

Plus a benefit of the physical disc option is that they have pretty much everything. Whereas, instant streaming is very limited in terms of selection. You don't even have to pay return postage. The discs comes with return prepaid red envelopes.

As for internet, there is satellite internet even out to the sticks which is about $60 a month and it's pretty fast, but you are capped at about 40 GB's of data use (or about the equivalent of watching 20 Netflix movies). I am not sure how much they charge for more data. Probably could add extra data onto it.

Good info, JD! Our little subdivision is trying to get the townie cable company to come out here, but I suspect we're stuck with Verizon, or Hughesnet (shudder).

...You can still use Netflix. They will physically mail you the DVD's. It's $8 a month for the 1 disc at a time plan and $12 for the 2 discs at a time plan...
Once upon a time we had Netflix. Signed on for it pretty much right after it launched. It started around $8 a month, eventually going up a buck or two before "The Split", when they announced in the news that the service would now split into two, one for DVDs on a tiered cost system (more discs, more bucks) and one for online streaming...at $8 each. This with no advanced warning to their loyal customers. I. Was. Ticked. Hopped on the library website and checked, title for title, the names from our Netflix queue against the library's list. Every single one of those movies was available at the library. For free. Well, Himself's motto is "if it's free, it's for me", so I cancelled Netflix. Have never looked back. We're happily working our way through all the DVDs we might ever want to see through the library. They have a total of nearly 10,000 to pick from when you count regional sharing. Not bad. I like to think of it as my tax dollars at work. ;)

With Richard Dreyfuss, it should be a great movie! I hope he's not playing Madoff, though.

You're lucky. I don't have a TV. I get my movies from a, er, ahem, well, I call it my pirate site.

It was painful to watch all the movies on the 2008 crash. I watched Margin Call, Inside Job, and now The Big Short. I don't think I could stand to watch Madoff and know all those people lost their money and retirement funds at the end.

As I get older I find I no longer want to watch shows where children are hurting and hungry, people suffering, homes destroyed, people killed. I think that is one mini series I am going to miss. :angel:

We went to see Kung fu panda 3 with kids. Not as much for the movie sale but rather for the seats experience. We have D Box seating. It's like a roller coaster ride. Seat shakes and moves with the movie action. Was not worth extra $8 bucks per seat. And the movie, who cares about stupid cartoon to begin with .

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

As I get older I find I no longer want to watch shows where children are hurting and hungry, people suffering, homes destroyed, people killed. I think that is one mini series I am going to miss. :angel:
Agree - there is enough of that in reality, e.g. the news!

I favour rom-coms but I like a good suspense thriller too.

We went to see Kung fu panda 3 with kids. Not as much for the movie sale but rather for the seats experience. We have D Box seating. It's like a roller coaster ride. Seat shakes and moves with the movie action. Was not worth extra $8 bucks per seat. And the movie, who cares about stupid cartoon to begin with .

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

I do, I do...love Kung Fu Panda...reminds me, time to watch Kung Fu Hustle, again.

Actually, rr, Dryfuss is the lead. I don't remember him being so, ahem, full in the face. He's a bit pudgy, like a slimy financial adviser should look.

If you decide to watch Madoff, you can access it from the ABC website. I think they offer the shows up a week after they've been on TV, and they limit the time that they are available. I know before our old tower computer conked out, Himself used to view a lot of stuff via Hulu. It took him around a year to bother doing the diagnosis, get over the fact that the motherboard was dead, order the parts, and rebuild. Since then, he discovered that Hulu really isn't a good option anymore. I'm no IT person, but is has something to do with the player that is now known to have security issues, but Hulu still insists on it being the player they offer shows through...or something like that. :wacko: I don't know, I don't speak "Tech", I speak "Culinary".

Thanks, actually, my pirate site has it listed tonight so I could watch it. But I think I'm going to pass. Even with Richard Dreyfuss in the lead, it's still too early for me to think of it as entertainment. To me, it's still a painful history that never should have happened.

Sometimes I think it was easier to be younger with less of a conscience. I think a big part of getting older is seeing more and more of the big picture and being affected by it.

As for the next movie, I have Pillow Talk with Doris Day and Rock Hudson downloaded. I may watch that tonight.

I have no interest in seeing "The Interview", but as a matter of principle, if I wanted to see it, now I can.

I'll watch it just to piss off Kim Jong Un (or whatever his name is).

In fact I'll watch it multiple times. Just to thumb my nose at another 2-bit tin-plated dictator.

The last movie I watched was the new Star Trek film. The theater actually had recliners instead of regular theater seats! I'm at an age where that make a he**uva difference.

I watched something fairly recently but can't remember the name of it that really touched me for some reason. It was a western ... had a "name brand" actress in the female lead ... the male lead was the older guy with the Southern accent from Men in Black ... it was about women on the frontier who went totally bonkers (due to the unremitting stress and in at least one case, a husband who was just fine with raping his wife who had JUST delivered a baby) and the 2 leads were supposed to take them to the nearest asylum, somewhere in Missouri I think.

My memory sucks. I can remember the movie, but not a single name, LOL!

Last edited:
...Even with Richard Dreyfuss in the lead, it's still too early for me to think of it as entertainment. To me, it's still a painful history that never should have happened...
I'm not watching it for "entertainment" so much as a character study. I do feel badly for some of the people - those who invested with a credible financial adviser who, in turn, invested blocks of money with Madoff. However, I cannot understand why someone would take ALL of their savings, invest all of it with someone who said they have a "sure thing", and then think they never had a hand in their own misery. Hello! Did your parents NOT teach you "don't put all your eggs in one basket"? Did they not tell you that there is no such thing as a "sure thing"? Yes, those people were duped. Yes, they had atrocious crimes committed against them. But they were silly in the beginning to trust someone with all of their money.

Madoff is scum. He was sentenced to 150 years in prison. I hope he lives to see every one of those years...in prison. :devilish:

"Unknown", with Liam Neesen. Watched it today on TNT...what a great movie! Lots of twists and turns...when I thought I had it figured out they threw a few curve balls. Good one. :ohmy: :) Don't really care about the mediocre reviews on rotten tomatoes...LOL. I thought it was a good one.
http://www.warnerbros.com/unknown

Last edited:
"Unknown", with Liam Neesen. Watched it today on TNT...what a great movie! Lots of twists and turns...when I thought I had it figured out they threw a few curve balls. Good one. :ohmy: :) Don't really care about the mediocre reviews on rotten tomatoes...LOL. I thought it was a good one.
Unknown - WarnerBros.com - Movies

Thanks for that helpful link Cheryl! That looks like a good one and I really like Liam, I'll look for it! ;)

I watched something fairly recently but can't remember the name of it that really touched me for some reason. It was a western ... had a "name brand" actress in the female lead ... the male lead was the older guy with the Southern accent from Men in Black ... it was about women on the frontier who went totally bonkers (due to the unremitting stress and in at least one case, a husband who was just fine with raping his wife who had JUST delivered a baby) and the 2 leads were supposed to take them to the nearest asylum, somewhere in Missouri I think. LOL!

The Homesman with Tommy Lee Jones and Hillary Swank.

Thanks for that helpful link Cheryl! That looks like a good one and I really like Liam, I'll look for it! ;)

Oh, you and the SC would love it, Kay. Lots of action and suspense. I'm with ya, Liam is so :wub: :LOL:. I just happened to be scrolling through movies on a lazy day today and found that. It's a good one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom