What's the last movie you watched?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After nearly being put to sleep by The Russia House, last night we watched Woman in Gold starring Helen Mirren. Very compelling film. We really enjoyed it. It's a "must see" in our book.

I'll second that, Katie. (In fact I think I did, a while back when I saw it at the local cinema).

And I don't like Helen Mirren as a rule.

I just watched Woman in Gold and it was a tremendous film! I had wanted to see it at the theater, but missed it at the time. I can't say enough good things about this true story, and imo Helen Mirren is one of the great actresses of our time!
It's available to stream for free. I wish that the parts with the German dialog had been English captioned, but one got the idea anyway.
I can't imagine anyone not being impressed with this film!

I just watched Woman in Gold and it was a tremendous film! I had wanted to see it at the theater, but missed it at the time. I can't say enough good things about this true story, and imo Helen Mirren is one of the great actresses of our time!
It's available to stream for free. I wish that the parts with the German dialog had been English captioned, but one got the idea anyway.
I can't imagine anyone not being impressed with this film!

That's interesting. Our Netflix disk had English captions, so we knew what the Germans were saying.

And, you're right. Helen Mirren is amazing. A very talented and versatile actress.

That's interesting. Our Netflix disk had English captions, so we knew what the Germans were saying.

And, you're right. Helen Mirren is amazing. A very talented and versatile actress.

I suspect it was because I got it at one of those free streaming sites, it wasn't captioned. I rarely watch a movie more than once, but I might pay to get it captioned. I really want the SC to see it too as we've spent some time in Vienna and some of the scenes are just haunting. I just finished a book about the takeover of Vienna called "The Butterfly and the Violin".

I really wasn't in the mood for any heavy thinking. So I watch My Fair Lady for the umpteenth time with Rex Harrison and Audrey Hepburn.

Although I realize that he is to be considered the "bigger" star, some of the songs that he talks himself through, were just way too long. And they weren't really very melodious. But I was bored. :angel:

We're knocking the dust off of old ones from the library system. Friday night we watched "Big Night" with Tony Shaloub and Stanley Tucci. It was OK, but slow-moving. Himself said it would have been better had it been only 42 minutes! :LOL:

we rented The Walk last night. It is the movie about Philippe Petit's walk between Twin Towers. Though movie did not do well in movie theaters I think it was well done and kept me on the edge of my seat. Mostly because I am scared of heights ;)

^^^ I agree, The Walk was a good film. I saw it about a month ago.
I also watched a documentary on Netflix, Man on Wire, about the same subject, about a year ago. That was very good too.

Last edited:
^^^ I agree, The Walk was a good film. I saw it about a month ago.
I also watched a documentary on Netflix, Man on Wire, about the same subject, about a year ago. That was very good too.

how close to the documentary was the Movie? I would like to read his book. Man was either a nut or an amazingly brave.

how close to the documentary was the Movie? I would like to read his book. Man was either a nut or an amazingly brave.
Man on Wire was only about the Twin Tower walk and focused a great deal on the pre-planning stages of the walk, if I remember. What was different from the movie was how they "snuck" into the building, evading security and all, etc...

We watched ROOM on Amazon last night. Depressing film, based on a true story, about a young woman and her little son held captive in a backyard shed for several years. Sad part was her son who was born and raised in the shed has never seen the outside.

We watched ROOM on Amazon last night. Depressing film, based on a true story, about a young woman and her little son held captive in a backyard shed for several years. Sad part was her son who was born and raised in the shed has never seen the outside.
I imagine the uplifting part though was when they got their freedom... did this compensate for the depressing mood of the film or was it too briefly shown?

I imagine the uplifting part though was when they got their freedom... did this compensate for the depressing mood of the film or was it too briefly shown?

^^^ Somewhat uplifting, but the last third of the film dealt with them adjusting back to 'normal' life. Still a struggle, and not really a 'happy' ending.

Brie Larson sure deserved the Oscar she won as best actress this year.
I agree it was a heart wrenching story most especially the first half while they were captive. If that had lasted any longer I couldn't have continued to watch it, but to me the second half made up for it. It wasn't something I'd watch again but I'm sure glad I saw it. It was a very meaningful but difficult film imo.

A very sanitized version of Prince's Purple Rain on VH1. They bleeped a lot. It wasn't as good as I remember when I saw it when it first came out, but I enjoyed the music.

Last edited:
Watched the Kingsmen. I have seen it before but not for a long time. Fun stylish almost parady of bond movies.

East Side Sushi. An ok film about a Latina aspiring to become a sushi chef. It immediately reminded me of the movie The Ramen Girl. A bit corny like The Ramen Girl, very similar story line, but The Ramen Girl was a much better film.

We just watched "Concussion" with Will Smith. He did such an incredible job of presenting himself as someone else that it was hard to tell that it was Smith on the screen. After watching this, it pretty much puts to shame all of the fluff news with the NFL and the Patriots. Two sides unwilling to admit where they went wrong, and all of that energy and time spent on egos instead of protecting players. Makes me shake my head...

Back
Top Bottom