What's the last movie you watched?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Cafe Society"

We went to see the new Woody Allan film last night. Not sure how good it was in the general scheme of things but I enjoyed it. Set in the mid to late 1930s and very much in that genre. Great musical score but a very odd end.

One novel thing for a 21st century film - whilst there were references to character X having an affaire with character Y, there was no nudity or rolling about in sweaty sheets. (I always think the actor/esses who are lumbered with those sort of scenes never quite avoid looking uncomfortable/embarrassed.)

One good thing - although many famous film names were dropped none of the owners actually appeared, so no complaints about the performance of modern actors and actresses trying to pull off great and not so great "Stars" of the past.

You're welcome, Kay and Roadfix. I thought it was a pretty good article, too.

Yes, they did a good job of 'aging' Tom Hanks.

I went to see Sully at the matinee today. WOW, what a great film! Kayelle hit the nail on the head - it was an edge of the seater, and Tom Hanks was brilliant in it. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and highly recommend it.

One of the things that stood out to me was the Air Traffic Controllers - we all know what a stressful position that is, and I'm glad they included that part of it in the movie. I couldn't imagine being responsible for seeing that the airspace is safe for routine take offs and landings, let alone something like this happening. :ohmy:

There were more people in the theater than I've seen in a long time - probably 20 or so. :D But then again it was Sunday, and I usually go to the weekday matinees.

So glad you loved it too Cheryl. Even a week later, I'm still thinking about it.

Dawg, although everyone knows the basic story, none of us knew the "story behind the story" that makes Sully such a remarkable movie.

Hm. Thanks Kay and Cheryl, it sounds like a matinee might be in the works! DH might be annoyed though.

...One of the things that stood out to me was the Air Traffic Controllers - we all know what a stressful position that is, and I'm glad they included that part of it in the movie...
My BF back home has a brother who was an ATC. He was on the verge of a nervous breakdown and had to step away from the controller's position. He still works for the FAA, but in an administrative position. From what I understand, burn-out is not uncommon for people in that job.

My BF back home has a brother who was an ATC. He was on the verge of a nervous breakdown and had to step away from the controller's position. He still works for the FAA, but in an administrative position. From what I understand, burn-out is not uncommon for people in that job.

Living so close to the airport, Eastie has what they call crashing pads. This is multiple apartments with several beds in each room for stewardesses on a layover and one for the ATC. Although most of them live right here in close proximity to the airport, they could certainly drive home after their shift. But during inclement weather sometimes they really need a place to crash and calm down. It is a very stressful job. They do not like taking their work home. The sad part is that their pay comes nowhere near what they are worth. The different airlines pay the rent for these apartments. They also pay someone to go in and clean them. :angel:

Those are called "crash pads", Addie. ;) When we were helping Goober move from AZ back to OH, we checked out of our hotel one day before he was ready to leave. Oops. Instead of our $65-a-day long-term rental, we had to get a room for one night. It was during Cactus League season, and rooms were harder to find than hens' teeth. After multiple calls to hotels, one did say that they had a crash pad that was not needed, as the crew was OK'd to fly. $159 for one night? :ohmy: Well, Oh-Kay. :( Turns out the crew HAD been in the room, but only long enough to grab a bite to eat - bagel bags and coffee cups were on the table and nightstand. Lucky us, when I called the front desk the manager apologized, knocked $60 off the price, and gave us two passes for breakfast the next day, each worth $15. Worked for us!

Watched "Trainwreck". Yup, it WAS one. Aptly named. Now we were not expecting Shakespeare. After all, it was written by Amy Schumer - she of the crude humor. The lead male was Bill Hader. Cannot believe he's been as successful as he has been in show business. Whatever. WHY, then, did we get it from the library? Because we wanted to see if Cleveland Cavaliers' LeBron James could act. Well, as Himself said after the movie, "it's pretty pathetic when the two basketball players in the movie (Amar'e Stoudemire had a bit part) are better actors than the actors". At least it was a freebie library loaner.

Himself moseyed over to IMDB to check its star rating. Then, just for S&Gs, he checked the rating for the independent movie I was in. It got a higher rating! :LOL: Of course, the only people who saw THAT movie were basically the friends and families of the people IN it, but that's OK. I still think I'm pretty cool...:cool:

Just saw Brooklyn. I did not like the book, ok I loved the book, until the very end, that's when I hated the book. The movie sure was not nearly as good as book was. And the end was even worse, then the end of the book.

We watched "Sunset Song" last night on Netflix Instant. It's about a young lady growing up in a Scottish farming family in the early 1900's with a difficult father.

It's a good movie. If you like period pieces -- especially ones set in the UK, you'll enjoy it.

Last edited:
The Boy in Striped Pajamas or something similar.....it's on `netflix now....oh, goodness, do not watch this if you are depressed.........this movie will kill you..........it's wonderfully acted, scripted,...........it just has such has a sad ending, so sad............

The Boy in Striped Pajamas or something similar.....it's on `netflix now....oh, goodness, do not watch this if you are depressed.........this movie will kill you..........it's wonderfully acted, scripted,...........it just has such has a sad ending, so sad............

We watched it last spring and I agree with everything you said. Very good movie, but very sad :(

Flag of Our Fathers....

Hey I am a baby boomer...I have a lot respect for "The Greatest Generation!
My father was at Iwo Jima...
Just watched ``'`i t `happpened one night with Clark Gable and Claudette Cobert ...........still loved it..........and `i've totally given up on this stupid computer`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````':mad::mad::mad:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom