What's the last movie you watched?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Someone mentioned "The Gift" on Netflix but now I can't find the post. Anyway, I just watched it and it was sure my kind of movie..a psychological thriller. I liked it a lot.

Yeah, it was pretty good, wasn't it?
Check out I.T. on Netflix if you haven't seen it.

Now I'm watching 'Bad Match' on Netflix at work.....seems interesting so far...

Last edited:
I watched Lincoln starring Daniel Day Lewis last night on Netflix.

It was excellent.

Can we differ? I don't like any Spielberg film, nor films by Ron Howard. Daniel Day Louis was memorable in Gangs of New York, but unmemorable in his other roles. He put me to sleep in "There Will Be Blood." That entire movie did.

Last edited:
Did you see Lincoln, Cas?

He was great in My Left Foot, and In the Name of the Father.

And, of course, as Bill the Butcher.

I watched Lincoln starring Daniel Day Lewis last night on Netflix.

It was excellent.

...Daniel Day Louis was just superb as Lincoln.
We saw that a few years ago and also thought it was excellent, as was Daniel Day Lewis. I had read that he stayed in character at all times. This isn't the article, but it is an interesting one about Lewis's process. He is a method actor's actor, for sure.

Daniel Day Lewis didn't break character for three months...

I don't have a clue why I never saw "My Left Foot" until yesterday. Daniel Day Louis is an acting treasure of our time. If I didn't know that before yesterday, I sure know it today.

An alternative to the general run of "triumph over the odds" biopics, My Left Foot is the true story of Irish cerebral palsy victim Christy Brown. Paralyzed from birth, Brown (played by Hugh O'Conor as child and Daniel Day-Lewis as an adult) is written off as retarded and helpless. But Christy's indomitable mother (Brenda Fricker) never gives up on the boy. Using his left foot, the only part of his body not afflicted, Brown learns to write. He grows up to become a well-known author, painter, and fundraiser, and along the way falls in love with nurse Mary Carr (Ruth McCabe). There's no sugarcoating in My Left Foot: Brown, a heavy drinker, was by no means lovable. Day-Lewis and Fricker both won Academy Awards for their performances, and the film was nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Adapted Screenplay. Also notable are the late Ray McAnally in his next-to-last film role as Christy's father, and venerable Cyril Cusack as Lord Castlewelland. Director Jim Sheridan co-scripted with Shane Connaughton from Christy Brown's autobiography. ]

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched Conviction last night, a 2010 film, based on a true story about a fellow who gets convicted and sent to prison for murder. His sister, played by Hillary Swank, convinced of her brother's innocence studies law and eventually becomes a lawyer so she can try to get his conviction overturned. Great film.

I don't have a clue why I never saw "My Left Foot" until yesterday. Daniel Day Louis is an acting treasure of our time. If I didn't know that before yesterday, I sure know it today.

I didn't view Daniel Day Louis until I saw him in his role... "Gangs of New York." I actually forgot he starred in "Last of the Mahicans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw "The shape of water" last night. Not what I expected. Based in the 1940's. Had a slow start, once it got got it was okay. Pretty graphic sex scene.

Never ones to see a recent movie, we watched "42" tonight - released in 2013. I knew I had read who played the main characters, but I spent the first half of the movie trying to figure out who was playing Branch Rickey. After I cheated and looked it up (Harrison Ford), I spent the rest of the movie wondering where they hid Harrison Ford! He completely became Branch Rickey, or at least his interpretation of who Rickey was and how he would have been. Very good movie, but I cried over man's inhumanity to man...*sigh*

If you see a movie and dont see the actor but the character instead, then the actor is a really good actor and a very good script. That is why my favourite actor is Ben Kingsley.

Watching Commando right now, debating on the lineup for the rest of the day...it's usually The Quiet Man and Darby O'Gill and the Little People.

I watched "Lady Bird" a few days ago. I was curious since it had received awards, high acclaims, and a 99% positive review on Rotten Tomatoes - which is usually my first go-to site for a little reading about a movie, and the critic and audience reviews. :)

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/lady_bird

It was about a 'coming of age' movie - a teen daughter and her rather overbearing mother (Laurie Metcalf). I can see where there were awards for the acting, but IMO the storyline was depressing and made me sad. I had trouble believing they gave it a comedy/drama genre - I didn't see the comedy part of it much at all. :huh: I gave it another try and watched it again the next day to see if my feelings had changed, they didn't.

Review: Lady Bird

Just goes to show how different one opinion can be from the online reviews. LOL

Last edited:
Netflix:-

tonight... just finished watching The Hitman's Bodyguard with Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L Jackson - funny! made me laugh out loud which means it is a good movie!

Last night... watched Begin Again with Kiera Knig (who knew she could sing!) and Mark Ruffalo... I really enjoyed it - a good "feel good" in humanity.

A couple of nights ago ... Burnt - don't remember the actors (although known) but was really good - not an "in-your-face" cooking show but about a chef who goes down and gets back up.

Back
Top Bottom