What's the last movie you watched?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The next documentary I looked, along with being a short form documentary Oscar nominee, is In the Absence. This one is also free to view and lasts around 29 minutes long.

https://vimeo.com/fieldofvision/in-the-absence

The fully English subtitled documentary from South Korea looks at the Sewol Ferry disaster. It is worth the Oscar nomination due to how well the whole documentary was produced. You fully feel for the families in this even if you do not speak their language.

A must see for sure.

Not a movie. TV
The Durrells in Corfu. Originally on BBC/ PBS. I missed the series. Now available on Amazon Prime.

Mom is widowed and trying to raise 4 kids. Can no longer afford living in 1935 UK. Moves to Corfu. Great family trying to get along w/ new to them culture and each other. The oldest kid (adult) is an aspiring writer, but it is the youngest, Gerald, who as an adult later wrote The Durrells trilogy which the series is based. Gerald has a weird fascination studying all kinds of wild life so their house is a veritable zoo.

Bonus. In most episodes is a great music/ song. You can listen to the Durrells soundtrack free on You tube. Boy, I love free stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMwKSdynmls

Killing some time before playoff games..

Watched, on Netflix, a Paul Newman movie.. "Where the Money Is", from 2000..

Henry Manning (Paul Newman) has come up with a new way to break out of prison: fake a stroke and get transferred to a nursing home. It's a perfect plan, except for one thing: the woman assigned to take care of him at the nursing home, Carol Ann McKay (Linda Fiorentino), has a plan of her own.

A time killer but also kinda fun..

Ross

The other day, on Netflix, I watched "The Ugly Truth" (2009) with Katherine Heigl and Gerard Butler. I enjoyed it so much that I went looking for other movies with Gerard Butler. Found the "Bounty Hunter" (2010) with also Jennifer Aniston. Enjoyed that movie also.

Ross, thanks for the heads up about the Paul Newman movie. Going to go add it to my list.

Watched Gemini Man with Will Smith, great action and story. Kinda freaked seeing the Fresh Prince with gray at his temples.

We watched "Mark Twain, Tonight!". It's technically not a movie, but rather a taping of a live CBS performance. We got to see Hal Holbrook perform it live at Cleveland's Playhouse Square decades ago. Himself is a big fan of Mark Twain, but we both enjoyed the performance a lot. Even though the TV production was filmed in 1967, it was amazing at how spot-on some of the political commentary applied to today. I guess many forget that "something was rotten in the state of Denmark"* before the age of Facebook and Twitter.

*Hamlet Quotes

A little bit of biography and background on Hal Holbrook:

Cleveland native Hal Holbrook turning 90 and still adding to his Mark Twain show

finally "Peter Rabbit" arrived in our neck of the woods on Netflix! Watched it last night - was a little disappointed in the beginning but it quickly turned around and is an enchanting story... in other words - I loved it!

Going back to a previous posting on the Durrells. Gerald Durrell, OBE, a British Naturalist, wrote the most amazing books. His ability to instill humour into a vast reach of his life was amazing. He once came to a local college, 10 minutes down the road from me to give a talk, I only found out about it 3 days later and was so upset at having missed him my family hid from me for a week.

I believe all of his books were based on true events with the exception of "Rosie was my Relative". But all were riveting and I can't recommend them highly enough.

I never knew about the movie/TV series based on his early life but I can fully understand how and why they were so popular if he wrote them.

PBS The American Experience "The Poison Squad"

If you read Upton Sinclair's book "The Jungle" (1906) back in High School or College, or Culinary School, this will be a welcome insight as to what brought "The Jungle" into print. In that same year the first Pure Food Act was voted down with lobbyist help from the food industry, the chemical industry, the meat producers, etc.

A great and informative show.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/poison-squad/#part01

The next 2020 Oscar Nominated Documentary I was For Sama.. You can see it here for free at Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jFHbo0Cgu8

If you are not into war violence this documentary is not for you at all, but It fully shows off why it could easily win the Oscar for long form documentary.

The documentary looks at the life of Waad al-Kateab last few years in Aleppo. Getting married, having a kid, and getting pregnant again before getting forced out of the city.

The documentary is deeply powerful and heart-wrenching. So perfectly produced.

The Documentary has awards wins:
A Prix L’Œil d’Or win for Best Documentary at the Cannes Film Festival
A Grand Jury Award win for Best Documentary at the 2019 SXSW Film Festival
A Special Jury Prize win at International Feature Documentary at Hot Docs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom