What's the last movie you watched?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just watched "Raise The Red Lantern" with Gong Li who starred as the hateful giesha in
"Geisha". Incredible film and she's wonderful. It's about a woman who's summoned to a mandarin's home to become his concubine. Whenever he wants to sleep with one of his concubines, a red lantern is raised outside their living quarters. He's married and has another mistress as well. Gong Li's character hates being in this position so the only thing she can do to survive is to ... (I won't say :))The film has everything, passion, murder, revenge, great photography and of course Gong Li. It's subtitled and after a short time you get used to it.

Trying to watch "the assasination of jesse james by the coward john something or other" :LOL: the movie is much as the title. Long and dry.

I totally agree with you. I posted earlier that DH and the border and I watched the whole 2 hours and 40 minutes and from the first half hour were each thinking "can you kill him now?".

BTW, the coward's name was Robert Ford. not that it mattered (then or now).

Oh, and what did those computer animated cloud scenes have to do with anything?

Official end of rant on this subject.

Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang. What can I say? I'm a sucker for the old musicals.

thanks, b'sgirl. now i have "truely scrumptious" playing in my head.

your truely ooley ooley ooley scrupmptious... :(

In Brugges with Colin Farrell (hhhmmmmmmmmm) and Brendan Gleeson! Very funny, Colin Farrell at his best!

thanks, b'sgirl. now i have "truely scrumptious" playing in my head.

your truely ooley ooley ooley scrupmptious... :(

It's okay BuckyT, last weekend I watched Dr. Dolittle (actually both versions, which shows how bored I am!). I still have "Talk to the Animals" and "Push-me-Pull-you" going through my head! :wacko:

Last night we watched "Failure to Launch" (Matthew MacConaughey, Sarah Jessica Parker). It's got a great supporting cast, including Kathy Bates and Terry Bradshaw. (Yeah, the football guy.) It was better than I expected although I must say Sarah Jessica Parker doesn't look very good through this movie.

I picked up "Hairspray" at a yard sale on DVD for 50 cents. It was in a very thin case but it looked liked something you would ordinarily buy at a store. The cover and back were professionally done and you couldn't tell the difference except there was a store price sticker on it--$1.00. SO, I watched it last night and boy was there a difference! About half way through the film, shadows appeared that were first a man getting up out of his seat and walking toward what looked like a movie screen. Then 2 men got up and walked around covering up what was really appearing on the screen. It must have been a pirated copy of the movie and taken during a showing at a movie theater. I've never seen that before. "Hairspray" (Travolta) was wonderful and the sound was just fine but the film quality was off; it was a little grainy. Travolta sounded as if all the putty and make-up he wore must have restricted his voice because he sounded as it it did. SOmetimes I just couldn't understand what he was saying. Christopher Walken was delightful. It was nice to see him dance again because he started out as a dancer. I saw him years ago starring in a revival of the old college musical "Best Foot Forward" with Liza Minelli (Lucille Ball starred in the film version) off-broadway.
I suppose that's how these pirated copies come out. I never cared for the original "Hairspray" that much; it was fun but it didn't jump like this one and move smoothly. Queen Latifah's vocals have certainly improved since "Chiacago"; she stoled the film, and if that was really Michelle Pfeiffer's voice, wow!!! Loved this movie.

steamboater, yes she is! Ruth Buzzi - Biography

a lot of people joke about sarah jessica parker looking like ruth buzzi, but supposedly, sjp is very offended by that. i heard an interview with her on a local shock jock show on ny radio a few years back to that effect.

maybe it was more like:

Sarah%2BJessica%2BParker

buckytom: They used to do this kind of stuff at PBS for Masterpiece Theater, an eclectic mix e.g., "I Claudius" and the filmed versions serialized of literaure but all this season at least there's filmed literature but it's Jane Austin and that gets a little tiring after a while. Some of the productions--the really old ones--like "Pere Geriot "and Zola's "Nana" ere first rate. Too bad they're not available on DVD or VHS. I'd love to see John Adams but don't have HBO so I'll have to wait until it's out on DVD.

Back
Top Bottom