"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-20-2006, 09:06 PM   #1
Executive Chef

What's the plan this weekend?

What is going on this weekend?

Friday I'm doing a little shopping for groceries and a couple presents because

Saturday is Aidan's Third birthday! We're taking him to the Aquarium in Vancouver Canada. Should be a fun day! Presents are in the mix if we don't get back too late. He's getting big bike for his bday, so I can't give it to him at the start of the day or else we'll never get out of the house.

Sunday, I have a rehearsal in the morning. We're doing choc cake & raspberry ice cream with friends. More presents, I'm sure.

Gotta figure out when to bake the cake. Ice cream is more or less done, just gotta put it in the ice cream maker.

Old 07-20-2006, 09:16 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Happy Happy Birthday Aidan!!
You'll have a blast at the Aquarium. It's one of the best that I've ever been too. Have you been there before? So much to see and do.

We are hiking for the next three days. We'll leave first thing tomorrow morning and return Sunday late afternoon. Looking forward to some nice fresh trout!! Yummy!

Old 07-20-2006, 09:31 PM   #3
Head Chef

Happy B-day Aidan!

Saturday we are celebrating my son's 4th. It's not his actual birthday, but it works best for us. He has 11 buddies coming over and we will have burgers, dogs, and chicken on the grill (of course). Then cake and ice cream and games and presents in there somewhere. It'll be a lot of fun.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:45 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

We're going to the Vermont State BBQ Championship in Windsor. It's at the Harpoon Brewery.

We went last year and had a good time. If the weather holds, it should be fun again.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:09 PM   #5
Executive Chef

worship the sun god...

For me, the weekend has officially started. It doesn't matter that it's only Thursday and I still have to work tomorrow. Friday is a cake day for me. My mind is already on the weekend and I kinda go through the day in a combination of lust and anticipation.

Lou (my guy) gets in about 7:30 and then cocktail hour officially starts. We'll have a light dinner of fruit, cheese, breads and pastries. If it's not tooooo hot, we'll go out for a spell in the hot tub.

Saturday, we're hoping to make it to Belmar for the day. I'll make a picnic of cold tortellini salad, jersey tomatoes, mangos, and coconut macaroons. A bottle of white merlot gets to come along. The water temp. is up to 70 degrees and I need to swim.

Saturday night is a mardi gras night. Sazeracs, fried green tomatoes, maque choux, duck and andouille jambalaya, white chocolate bread pudding with bourbon sauce. Another spell in the hot tub or a walk to the river if it's not tooooo sticky.

Sunday's always good for a bike ride in the park. Then shrimp, provolone and tomato omelets followed by a slice of blueberry pie.

The weekend officially ends about 2pm on Sunday at Penn Station in NYC.

If it rains, the food remains the same...and we'll do a movie instead of the shore.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:18 PM   #6
Master Chef

I guess my weekend has started. We tend to have a heavy social life (I don't mean anything fancy, just that I live in a small town where we all meet a minimum of once a week, and when we have freinds or family who visit, we all entertain each other), and I thought we'd take this week to do nothing but catch up on home stuff before our next house guests (next week). I got up at 5 and cleaned the fridge (not as simple as it sounds; I live in a very old house and the fridge is under the stairs and requires some real gyrations and gymnastics to get all the shelves out of the fridge). I did some other chores and was planning on weeding the garden when hubby suggested a trip to main street (we live in an old tourist town) to shop for wedding presents. He's right, we're overdue to buy a couple, and you really DO need to go when there are few tourists in town if you want to seriously shop. So we wound up shopping and bar hopping the afternoon away. So much for the weeds.

What I'm getting at is that I let myself be talked into starting the weekend on Thursday. It'll be interesting to see the way the rest of the weekend goes. I think one cookout.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:19 PM   #7
Head Chef

Happy birthday Aidan!

Tomorrow we are going to the Hunter Valley about 90 minutes away, to my brother's gallery opening. He is a photographer and he has opened a gallery to show his work, at my uncle's winery. I am spending this afternoon making slices and cakes to take for the opening. Luckily Erin's soccer training will probably be off as it is raining here, so i will have more time to cook. We will stay the night at my uncle and aunts saturday then have a leisurely drive home on Sunday.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:49 PM   #8
Master Chef

saturday, my parents and I are going to izzy's burger spa at north lake tahoe, depending on the weather. sorry, about the lack of capitals. i am typing mostly one handed, due to that I have injured my right hand and have an ace bandage on it to keep it stable.

Happy Brthday, Aidan!!

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:45 AM   #9
Traveling Welcome Wagon

If it isn't too hot we might go to the Watermelon Festival here in town (not sure why though, since we don't have any money!). I have one more big paper due in my class, so I will be working on finishing it.

Happy Birthday Aidan!
Barbara
Old 07-21-2006, 01:10 AM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmac
Tomorrow we are going to the Hunter Valley about 90 minutes away, to my brother's gallery opening. He is a photographer and he has opened a gallery to show his work, at my uncle's winery.
Your uncle has a winery in the Hunter? Which? I'd love to know as I've done the Hunter 'tasting' thing MANY times and I don't know if I've ever had a negative experience.