What's Up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today's lunch. Dos Tamales from the corner street vendor.

img_665158_0_db0c45a92a5f3977375ee825a7d5d8b4.jpg

As I write this, today is Saturday. That means free hotdogs at the Harley shop.

Oh, don't be jealous. The bikers refer to them as "death dogs."

However, someone always gets good cookies from a local baker.

My mind is made up.

I'm grilling some tri tip tonight. I found some buried at the bottom of our freezer a couple of days ago. I have no idea how long they've been sitting there.
Now they're completely defrosted, I will apply some rub, and grill them medium-rare.

progress.gif

The weather's unbelievably mild and the humidity is almost nonexistent. I must be in the wrong state. I'll take it!!

Haven't done much today. Worked a little on an upholstery project for a customer, then spent some time on restoring a stuffed "Curious George." Poor little monkey was almost loved to death, but I think I'll have him back to nearly new soon. Been quite a challenge.

Thought I'd had a lead on a new car but it turned out to be a dead end. Oh, well. Gotta keep looking.

Little hungry at the moment and the thing I'm craving is popcorn. May head downstairs to the kitchen and fire up my Whirly-Popper on the stove.

Finally done with canning all the tomatoes a friend gave me earlier this week. Nearly 2 bushels. Plus about a huge paper grocery bag full of green peppers. Cleaned and put the peppers in the freezer this morning. I ate a boatload of tomatoes, canned 12 pints of oven-roasted tomato sauce and 13 pints of plain tomatoes, so I'm done "processing" food for a little while.

Later this afternoon, Edwina is going to come by and cut some small trees down for me. They've sprouted up in inconvenient parts of the yard and need to go.

Plan to sit on the porch, as usual, later this afternoon and read my book, play with the kitties and watch the world go by. I can tell it's getting dark earlier because the shadows are different at 7 p.m. than they were 6 weeks ago.

Today we took our youngest to college to start his second year there. He joined the marching band this year and band camp started today. Our oldest has moved into his own apartment about a month ago so for the first time in 24 years, it is just DH and I living here! So far, I don't believe we'll miss the kids too much. DH will be teaching 3 nights a week and I have enrolled in 3 classes again this semester. Also we bought season passes to the home games at the college. Gotta go see my baby perform! The first game will be shown on ABC sports in 2 weeks (Aug 30). So any sports fans can tune in and see my baby play his tuba with the Cavalier Marching Band from UVA.

Hubby may need a jacket to wear at my Aunt's funeral, since he retired and put on some weight.
I woke around 6 am with an agonizing headache , my whole head and neck hurt, I went downstairs to get painkiller for it and of course all the cats and kittens wanted to be fed. After that, took a hot shower , letting the water beat on my face and neck, which helped ease some of the pain, and went back to bed til 8 am.
I have a 2 hr. ride to NJ on Monday to the wake, plan to stay for the 2 viewings, (afternoon and evening) since I haven't seen the relatives in so long. On Tues. go back to NJ for the funeral .

I'm sitting in our hotel room in Schaumburg, Illinois, watching badminton on the Olympics (not my favorite Olympic sport, but I like it, and it is what is on). James is listening to the Cubs game on his computer (well, he is snoring at the moment!), then we will go out to eat.

:)Barbara

Got home from work a few hours ago, did a little cleaning, trying to get the boys to do the same. :(
I'm so tired, I don't want to stay awake til the kids bedtime!!!!

Nearly finished the upholstery project I was working on yesterday. Will do that tomorrow at the shop, since I need tools for that.

Edwina didn't make it yesterday. Arrived just after lunch today. She cut down the trees I'd asked and did a few more. She and I had a nice chat after she was done. She's a good friend.

After she left, I went wild with the pruners and trimmed a boatload of low limbs on quite a few more trees. I guess I worked at it for nearly an hour. Everything looks a lot better. Now I can see out of my front kitchen window. Well, see better, that is.

Spent nearly an hour on the phone with my youngest brother. He's one of my best friends. Lives 50 miles away so we "be" with each other over the phone. He's invited me to spend a weekend at his house in mid-September.

We had supper at the Denny's near our hotel. It was good, and the server was friendly, but he was one of those, "nod and act like you care, but don't really listen" kind of people (typical young guy who couldn't care less about "old" people, I guess, lol). Actually, listening to him talk about food, with the cook, I would have told him about DC if I had gotten the chance. We pretty much tell everyone wherever we go about DC--I think I'm going to make some "business" cards!

Our hotel has "Happy Hour" every evening (3 free alcoholic drinks per hotel guest, plus they have pop and snacks), so we went for that. We got there as it was shutting down, but that turned out perfectly. We each had two drinks. I had chips, salsa, and jalepenos, and James had chips with nacho cheese. We had the best time talking to the girl who was in charge (she was also the desk clerk who checked us in last night). She reminded me so much (in actions and personality) of our daughter Nancy. Very friendly and personable.

Now we are in our room, getting ready to get caught up on some of the shows we have been taping while we are on vacation.

:)Barbara

I had a nice mellow weekend, first one since I got home! Saturday was a baby shower and today was crafting Burning Man stuff and unpacking more boxes. Both nights I was happily in bed by 11pm and slept till 8am!

And I just had a lovely long hot shower and I have clean sheets on the bed! Yay!

Had a relaxing weekend myself, it would have been better with some sun, but I can't complain :)

I was up too early but didn't want to go back to sleep , didn't want to oversleep and be late to go to NJ at the funeral home. I showered and did my hair but still need to get dressed and drop books off at the library before heading out to NJ. Coffee does not wake me up nor give me energy, it never did. I need a good dose of energy . Feels like I was run over by a truck.

Been to the library and now waiting for hubby to return from shopping for a pair of pants and sport jacket. It really irks me that he waits til the last minute , he could have gone over the weekend. His middle name is procrasinator.

We should have left half hour ago !! Still here.. waiting for him to come back from dropping dog off at the kennel. He still has to change his clothes.

Last edited:
What is on my mind, and has been on my mind, is the kind and warm responses I got when I posted about the loss of my dog Bailey. ("In memory of my best friend".

I am so touched by the compassion and understanding shown to me by the people here on DC-people whom I have never met, and likely never will.

From this day forward, whenever I catch myself being cynical about societys attitudes in this day and age, I'll need only to recall how the people at DC rallied around me, in what has been for me personally a heartbreaking tragedy, and I'll remember that there are still good people in the world.

Today is my Sunday.... Have to work Fri-sun.... would be mon too but we're closed.
I was really worried about working more hours, going from 16 a week to 30 or so.... and leaving the kids so much.... DH will let the house get all messy..... etc.....
Guess what..... I"M OK AND I CANT WAIT TO GO TOMORROW!!!
Not that I don't love 'em, but it turns out I like speaking to adults sometimes. :)
And housework can still be done after a 6 hour shift. Not so difficult.

Happy to have a place to say just what is up here. First and most important, I have the day off. I have been cleaning and cleaning. Listening to my random music collection, dancing and singing (hmmmm may want to shut the windows!) Been a yucky week with a fridge not working, water break in the street in front of my house so my water is coming from the neighbor's house and just waiting for someone ANYONE to come and take care of either of these problems. So nice to have DC to keep me company.

Back
Top Bottom