"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-15-2006, 02:45 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Some days-I just love my dog the best and today is turning out to one of them!!!

Old 03-15-2006, 02:53 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Vicki, have you trained your dog to fold laundry and clean the bathrooms? Please share your secrets..........

Old 03-15-2006, 03:04 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Mudbug- if I trained her - she probably would do laundry and windows-well this may be a problem because she doesn't have thumbs!!! She has just gotten to be my true confidant and soother of my aching heart some days.She lives up to her name-Angel .She's a yellow lab that is such a gift from God. I do the hair of clients who are not well and they come to my home-when Angel senses their unhappiness or that they are uncomfortable she will put her head on their laps or sometimes just rubs her head against their hands. If she hears any of us crying she comes immediately usually with one of her toys wagging her big ole tail to comfort us- if that doesn't work she gets her 81 lb body in our laps and licks our faces making us laugh.I know this may disgust some people but, this is a show of affection in the only way Angel knows how. There is an inspirational story to how Angel got her name and I will share if anyone would like but, I think I have bored you all enough with this testimony of admiration for my Angel!!! Love and energy, Vicki
Old 03-15-2006, 03:08 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I will take Angel's habits over folding laundry any day. What a nice dog you have, Vicki.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:08 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

ya know, i could use a good doggie story right about now, how 'bout you 'bug?

(and btw, making people laugh and licking their faces is a real talent.)
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 03:09 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

come here, bucky.............
Old 03-15-2006, 03:12 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

i'm not licking your face again 'bug, no matter how many of those apple squares you have left.

ok, just this once...
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 03:13 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

pushover...............
Old 03-15-2006, 03:24 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
lololololol! You guys are great!
Old 03-15-2006, 03:40 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Well I just added Angel's pic to my profile- If you want her story here goes.
As you know my son oldest son Jymm suffered from depression. In 1998 he had been in and out of psych hospitals for failed attempts.He was 17 at the time. My other son Dennis was 14 and my daughter Kiersten was 11. The younger two had been feeling the results of the on-going battles to save their adored brother's life-we never knew what the outcome was going to be and they were starting to lose any enjoyment in life. My husband Jimmy suggested we get a puppy-I was against it- I didn't want to fall in love with another living thing as long as I lived and I knew I would. The kids were particularly bad after one of Jymm's hospital stays and I knew I would have to give in- something had to put life back into this famliy.So on Nov.1 ,1998, Jimmy I and Dennis took a ride up to a farm where they were selling yellow lab puppies-this was the one stipulation I had- this puppy hair had to match our furniture!!We had been baby sitting breeders from Guiding Eyes and they were all black labs and as much as I loved them-they weren't color co-ordinated with this house!!!Anyhow- at this farm there were two females left-it was a hard decision but, I chose the puppy who stopped squirming when picked up after running and playing.She was pure white and I wanted to call her Sugar-ok Jimmy grimaced everytime I called her this BUT I ignored him. When we arrived home with her, Kiersten was just coming home from a sleep over not knowing that we were even thinking about getting a puppy. She was elated- it was the first time I had seen my little girl's eyes light up in a long time. And Dennis- well he was teary eyed and kept saying he couldn't believe we got her.Now as an added bonus Jymm was home.We all brought "Sugar" in the house and sat on the kitchen floor with her.Jymm held her up to his face and I actually saw expression of peace and love there-not pain and agony or the blank expression some meds had given him.With the exception of my husbcand we were all calling her Sugar to which he finally said "For God's sake does that have to be her name- it sounds like a hooker's name."That's when Dennis said-"Let's call her Angel- look at what she's done- we're all here sitting together laughing and having a good time."SO that's where Angel got her name and deservedly so.Her AKC name is Quackenbushes Guardian Angel.This is Angel's story and I hope it was ok to print it here. BTW Kiersten told me she also got an almost family pic to post in the photos gallery here. I say almost because Jymm of course is not in it and well Angel isn't either.Thanks for listening guys!!!Love and energy to you all!!