"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #41
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
here's my desktop pic. my little guy in all of his new hockey gear at grandma and grandpa's house:

The kid wants to be a goalie?!?!

That's a tough job. Looks like he's ready!
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #42
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
Goalies are a breed apart. Gotta be a little nuts to do that job. BT, remind him to ALWAYS wear that mask, protect that cute little noggin of his.
__________________

__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #43
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
There is no need to be torn. There is a very simple application to be completed requesting acceptance as a converted fan of Red Sox Nation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
don't listen to him, lp. he always holds his thumb over the part about your soul and eternal damnation. then you have to sign in blood...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
...well, DUH!
I know that application. When I moved to BC and was found out to be a member of Rider Nation (Saskatchewan Roughriders - once a fan, always a fan) I was given a similar document to sign over all cheering rights to the Lions. I found an escape clause that allowed me to cheer for the Lions unless they were playing the Riders. It's been working well for 30 years .

So far it has been working well in Baseball - Cheer for Blue Jays when they play others cheer for Red Sox when they play each other...

Sorry Bucky (and Canada) he got to me before your warning! What can I say - they play Neil Diamond for the 7th/8th inning stretch and that wins out over Patriotism in my books!
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #44
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
here's my desktop pic. my little guy in all of his new hockey gear at grandma and grandpa's house:
Love the pic BuckyT! Can't believe how he is growing up! Oh, and I told Dad about Papa Beier and he got a big chuckle out of it! He said to make sure that mask stays on as he doesn't want another broken nose!
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I know that application. When I moved to BC and was found out to be a member of Rider Nation (Saskatchewan Roughriders - once a fan, always a fan) I was given a similar document to sign over all cheering rights to the Lions. I found an escape clause that allowed me to cheer for the Lions unless they were playing the Riders. It's been working well for 30 years .

So far it has been working well in Baseball - Cheer for Blue Jays when they play others cheer for Red Sox when they play each other...

Sorry Bucky (and Canada) he got to me before your warning! What can I say - they play Neil Diamond for the 7th/8th inning stretch and that wins out over Patriotism in my books!
Anyone who cheers for the Red Sox is all right in my book.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #46
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Anyone who cheers for the Red Sox is all right in my book.
For some reason I have always liked the Red Sox, even when I was younger. But they are specially dear to my heart since I traced my Dad's Grandfather to Quincy Mass. and found some Red Sox tickets in amongst his papers.

I really like the Patriots as well.

But please do not EVER expect me to cheer for the Bruins .
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
For some reason I have always liked the Red Sox, even when I was younger. But they are specially dear to my heart since I traced my Dad's Grandfather to Quincy Mass. and found some Red Sox tickets in amongst his papers.

I really like the Patriots as well.

But please do not EVER expect me to cheer for the Bruins .
I understand Miss Canada. We do have a rather large number of banners hanging in the Garden. I don't even follow them. Or the Celtics. I do know that any time we are playing the Maple Leafs or Canadiens, there is a lot of concern. We reconize there superior playing skills. After all hockey belongs to Canada.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:55 AM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
This was on my igoogle homepage this morning. I definitely am changing my desktop background:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Froggy.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	12999
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:56 AM   #49
Executive Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Goalies are a breed apart. Gotta be a little nuts to do that job. BT, remind him to ALWAYS wear that mask, protect that cute little noggin of his.
I was a goalie all of my life. From five years old, through the minor hockey ranks, junior b and up until now. My participation has been patchy over the last few years, but the gear is still in the basement ready to go when I decide I want to take a few pucks for the team again. When I fall I keep getting up, just a bit slower every year. lol Old jocks die hard. It ain't a pretty thing.....
__________________
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #50
Executive Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
We do have a rather large number of banners hanging in the Garden. I don't even follow them. Or the Celtics. I do know that any time we are playing the Maple Leafs or Canadiens, there is a lot of concern. We reconize there superior playing skills. After all hockey belongs to Canada.
It hasn't been very fun being a Leafs, Senators or Canadians fan for the last decade. The Bruins have been doing well the last few years. On the bright side, we can get out and enjoy the nice spring weather because our teams are rarely in the playoffs ...
__________________

__________________
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.