"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #21
Master Chef

Mother: Japanese, from Japan
Father: Greek, from USA
Roadfix: mutt, who gets mistaken for a Latino, who speaks fluent Japanese, with a Greek last name.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

I am Native American and English. My people were here to greet my people. My father was 50% Indian from Maine. My mother was an Adams as in John, Samuel. Her family owned a farm here in East Boston. Her mother died when she was nine and her father when she was ten. The farm was sold and the money was used for her medical care. She had polio. Now the farm (after two other owners) is a housing development. And it is ironic that two of my children have lived there. Son #1 is still there.

The tribe is rather wealthy now. They sued the Federal Govt. and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to get back their land. Every one who is registered with the tribe and over 21, gets a monthly check. I am entitled to register. But the only thing Indian I have ever done is open a can of corn. I don't feel I am entitled to anything. My youngest son is a quarter Cherokee on his father side. So he too is entitled to registered. But he feels as I do. Had he gone through the trouble to register, he could have gotten all his college for free no matter how many years he attended.

A friend of the family did a tree and traced our family back to the early 1700's on my father's side. She is now working on my mother's side. My grandfather was full Native American from the Passamaqqody Tribe in Maine. He migrated to Nova Scotia to find work, then down to Massachusetts. I always state the Native American first and check it off when asked about my background. The English side? Well they were rabble rousing trouble makers and disloyal to their King. If you saw a picture of my mother, she looks exactly like John Adams.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #23
Executive Chef

latvian - 100% on both my mother's and father's side. of course, latvia itself was conquered and occupied repeatedly by germany and russia, crisscrossing the small baltic nation at will, back and forth, over the course of a millenium or more....
Old 01-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am Native American and English. My people were here to greet my people. My father was 50% Indian from Maine. My mother was an Adams as in John, Samuel. Her family owned a farm here in East Boston. Her mother died when she was nine and her father when she was ten. The farm was sold and the money was used for her medical care. She had polio. Now the farm (after two other owners) is a housing development. And it is ironic that two of my children have lived there. Son #1 is still there.

The tribe is rather wealthy now. They sued the Federal Govt. and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to get back their land. Every one who is registered with the tribe and over 21, gets a monthly check. I am entitled to register. But the only thing Indian I have ever done is open a can of corn. I don't feel I am entitled to anything. My youngest son is a quarter Cherokee on his father side. So he too is entitled to registered. But he feels as I do. Had he gone through the trouble to register, he could have gotten all his college for free no matter how many years he attended.

A friend of the family did a tree and traced our family back to the early 1700's on my father's side. She is now working on my mother's side. My grandfather was full Native American from the Passamaqqody Tribe in Maine. He migrated to Nova Scotia to find work, then down to Massachusetts. I always state the Native American first and check it off when asked about my background. The English side? Well they were rabble rousing trouble makers and disloyal to their King. If you saw a picture of my mother, she looks exactly like John Adams.
lol, addie. you're too much.

i'll bet your mom was quite the looker after a few sam adams' lagers...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #25
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Mom's side - Lithuanian and French
Dad's side - Polish and German
Old 01-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #26
Admiral of the Texas Navy

"Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he'll let you know, if not, don't embarrass him." - Top Gun

Family history shows both Scottish and English relations. Our family name has a crest associated with it dating to around 1066 if you believe in that sort of thing. According to the heraldic legend, the ancestors were bow makers.

I'm at home in the Lone Star State and always will be.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Mom's side, English and German

Dad's side, Irish and French Canadian

I'm a mutt, LOL!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #28
Master Chef

Mom's side~ French and Luxembourg

Dad's side~ English and Luxembourg
Old 01-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #29
Traveling Welcome Wagon

My mom was 100% Swedish (both of her parents were born in Sweden and they met in Illinois).

My mom said my biological father was German. She didn't know if he had anything else in him, but she didn't think so.

I am half Swedish and half German.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #30
Executive Chef

All of my ancestors on both sides came from Germany. My father's side has been here for a very long time(Penn. Dutch), and my mothers side came to Michigan when my Great-Grandfather was a teenager.

Tags
ethnic