"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-14-2012, 11:27 PM   #71
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
My pleasure. We all have senior moments. I have lots of them.
You just made me snort a chunk of cantaloupe out my nose!

Old 01-15-2012, 01:56 AM   #72
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
You just made me snort a chunk of cantaloupe out my nose!
If it had been liquid, you could have washed your screen. My waste a good snortle.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:04 AM   #73
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
claire, your life sounds so much like my own sister's life, oddly enough also named claire (same spelling, too). she married a west point cadet back in 1980, and ended up travelling the world with him to his assignments.(there's a term for it but i can't remember)
he just retired a full bird colonel after 30+ years, the past 7 years in the horn of africa, iraq, and afghanistan. that was enough. if he stuck it out, he would have made general, but war is hell as the expression goes.

i've always been quite envious of her world travels.
Military wife, and military brat (child of a military person, no reflection on the child's behavior. If anything, my teacher friends tell me they vastly prefer a classroom of military brats.). And, yes, I'm both, plus a veteran myself. You either love it or hate it. In my case, I always felt sorry for my cousins who never strayed further than a few miles from where they were born. My sisters, though, were appalled when I chose to marry an Army officer. "You didn't get enough of that **** when we were growing up?" Well, I got Hawaii, Virginia, and DC and I love all of those places. My husband's name was to be put forward for full bird, but he declined to be considered and retired. He said his war was the cold war, and he won, time to retire.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:16 AM   #74
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I hope all of you know that the Church of Lattter Day Saints (Mormons) in Salt Lake City has family records and archives going back a number of centuries. Researching is free if you wish to trace your family. And there is also your States records of births, deaths, marrieges and divorce. These records are public and also free.
I'm just doing this to move it up. When I was in junior high, I was told that they started these records because of the early polygamous marriages, to insure that no one inadvertently married someone who was too closely related. Whatever the reason, anyone who's into geneology makes this a must-do. I don't know about other places, but even in our small town, you can go to the basement of the library and find help in geneological research.

My family names are so common in old Quebec as to make it suspect when anyone comes up with a family history beyond what we know from memory. You could go to Louisiana and make up yet another whole family history using the same names.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:20 AM   #75
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
latvian - 100% on both my mother's and father's side. of course, latvia itself was conquered and occupied repeatedly by germany and russia, crisscrossing the small baltic nation at will, back and forth, over the course of a millenium or more....
Once, when my husband was stationed in Hawaii, I came across a woman with an accent I couldn't identify. Military wives run the gamut of countries. I asked her. This was in the 80s. "My country no longer exists." I racked my brains and for some reason came up with Lithuania and Latvia. I guessed the latter and she was thrilled that I got it right!
Old 01-15-2012, 08:58 AM   #76
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Once, when my husband was stationed in Hawaii, I came across a woman with an accent I couldn't identify. Military wives run the gamut of countries. I asked her. This was in the 80s. "My country no longer exists." I racked my brains and for some reason came up with Lithuania and Latvia. I guessed the latter and she was thrilled that I got it right!

yes, latvia was occupied by russia during the cold war, after ww2. as of 1990, latvia, lithuania and estonia are independent and free nations once again!

very few people would have been able to come up with this lady's nation of origin, as you did, claire!:) latvia is a tiny country, about the size of new jersey, with a population of only about two million people. you made that lady's day for sure, claire, by your recognition. and today you made mine....
Old 01-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #77
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
latvia is a tiny country, about the size of new jersey, with a population of only about two million people.
do latvian women have big hair, get in fist fights at beach bars, and pay tolls every mile on highways?

ahhh, home sweet home.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #78
Executive Chef

Quote:
do latvian women have big hair, get in fist fights at beach bars, and pay tolls every mile on highways?

ahhh, home sweet home.

i probably shoulda said west virginia.... :)
Old 01-15-2012, 10:34 PM   #79
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, oh sorry.

they marry their sisters???

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:07 PM   #80
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
lol, oh sorry.

they marry their sisters???