What's your ethnic heritage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What a great story Claire! See what I mean about a small world? What is it they say about 6 degrees of separation? Some of us DCers could even be related!

well, she lives in the heartland, and i live just outside nyc, so...

j/k. i don't know. but her dad's surname is my own, so we're talking within 10 generations or so on average.

well, she lives in the heartland, and i live just outside nyc, so...

j/k. i don't know. but her dad's surname is my own, so we're talking within 10 generations or so on average.

Yes, I suspect that bucky and I are cousins somewhere along the line.

My fraternal grandfather came here from Ireland, don't recall when, but my daddy was born in this country in 1918. My daddy's family was Irish through-and-through until he married my mother, who wasn't Irish. So my Irish heritage is pretty strong.

My heritage isn't as interesting as some folks here...
English and French on mothers side
Irish, English and possibly Swedish on fathers side. I have been researching my ancestry for many years, but have concentrated on my father's side for the last few years. The reason that I say "possibly" Swedish is because of my family surname ending in "son", some of us assume that it is Swedish. I just cannot find anything proving that "my people" originated there. I can trace my father's side back to the 1700's but can't figure out how they got here, they just seem to have appeared out of nowhere! An interesting side note is that during my research I discovered that in this
Because Norway did not get it's independence from Sweden until 1905, your "Swedish" ancestors may have lived in Norway.

How boring my ancestory will sound compare to all of you. Both of my parents and all 4 grandparents were born in Ukraine, even though I have a polish last name. Though very rear in present form. My grandfather never heard of anybody being from Poland, his parents and grandparents are all from Ukraine too. So we do not know where the name came from. Actually thanks to Internet I found people with the same last name, not related at all, all over the world.

Both mother and father English/Irish/Scot whose folks had settled in the eastern Tennessee mountains around the Cumberland Gap - don't know how far back. Do you suppose I could be related to Dolly Parton if you go far enough back? ;)

I guess my real ethnic heritage, at this moment, would be "Earthling"

Along with 7 Billion of my fellow Earthlings.

It sure would be nice if we all started working together as a unified species instead of a thousand different societies claiming special rights over a patch of dirt.

Think of what we could do if duplication of effort was removed from our sciences and cultures.

This total corporation of humans, as a species will come eventually. It has to, to be successful as a species. No one wants to be the first to discard thier "National" rights to a patch of dirt. What a shame.

"The world population is the totality of all living humans on the planet Earth. As of today, it is estimated to number 6.987 billion by the United States Census Bureau. According to a separate estimate by the United Nations, it has already exceeded 7 billion."

...As of today, it is estimated to number 6.987 billion by the United States Census Bureau. According to a separate estimate by the United Nations, it has already exceeded 7 billion."
I just find it astounding how much the population has grown over the last few decades. I still remember reading in my grade school "Weekly Reader" that the earth's population was estimated to be 3.5 billion. This was back in the 1960s. It's mind boggling when you consider that for every person on the planet back then, there are now two people. It took millions of years prior to that just to reach the 1 billion mark.

Most surnames, no matter the country of origin, usually will refer to the occupation on the head of household. And as most often the oldest son would follow in the steps of the father, and any other sons would be apprenticed out, the oldes son would carry on the family name. :chef:

My heritage isn't as interesting as some folks here...
English and French on mothers side
Irish, English and possibly Swedish on fathers side. I have been researching my ancestry for many years, but have concentrated on my father's side for the last few years. The reason that I say "possibly" Swedish is because of my family surname ending in "son", some of us assume that it is Swedish.

i'd learned from my norwegian relatives that you could tell if a person was swedish or norwegian by the way "son" was spelled on the end of their surname.

"sen" was norwegian, "son" was swedish.

My mother(alive) is Austro/Hungarian, my father(dead) was Polish.
Claire I drive around Slovenia on the way to Croatia,the people and country are great.The pig is king and there are still plenty of cafe's that roast them like this beside the road:)Picture 167.jpg

buckytom said:
i'd learned from my norwegian relatives that you could tell if a person was swedish or norwegian by the way "son" was spelled on the end of their surname.

"sen" was norwegian, "son" was swedish.

Yes, Bucky this is what I had always been told as well. But I bet their was some "bleeding over" at some point.

Back
Top Bottom