"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-29-2007, 04:25 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I like the shows that are a little on the edge. One the other day, Flay made some Quail w/pomegranate and cinnamon glaze. Who'd a thunk? So I have this pomegranate liquor, honey and cinnamon.....

Old 06-29-2007, 04:42 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Right now I like Top Chef the best.

Also like Jacques Pepin's Fast Food My Way

Alton's on every night here. I've seen most of the episodes already though.

Old 06-29-2007, 04:45 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

I like Everyday Italian, 30 Minute Meals and Paula's Home Cooking.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:49 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I only watch some of the cooking shows and bbq/grilling competitions.

I have no interest in th reality shows, the cake or sugar art 'competitions' and such.

Yes, the network has changed. It has changed to draw a larger group of viewers that care about food. They have to make money to stay on the air.
I'll agree with most of that. I think the network has changed to draw a larger market that doesn't necessarily care about food, hence the cook-offs and reality type/who's gonna be the next star shows.

I'm a fan of any show that doesn't pull out four fresh herbs and a bunch of smoked meat ingredients I can't spell
Most of the 30 Minute Meals use "everyday" ingredients, half of Emeril's shows, earlier Bobby Flay......

If I hear one more person say, "Zest of a lemon"
Shoot, if I kept a lemon in the fridge until I came across a recipe asking for that, it would look like a spongy lime
Old 06-29-2007, 07:16 PM   #15
Head Chef

anything with alton brown or bobby flay in it ...
Old 06-29-2007, 07:33 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Both Iron Chefs, 30 Minute Meals, Good Deal, Everday Italian (I think that's it) and Paula's show (I forgot what it's called).

I don't like Essence of Emeril because I don't like much of what Emeril cooks. And personally I find Good Eats annoying. I understand how/why Alton ties the chemistry in w/ the show but the fast facts piss me off; it almost seems like most people watching would want to be stroking their own ego based off their general knowledge accumulation. Not to mention it seems like it's more about the dramatic devices than the cooking much of the time. I figured I'd better list why I don't like those since nearly everyone listed at least one of those within their favorites.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:11 PM   #17
Master Chef

I guess Iron Chef America is my favorite. I have always loved cooking a meal based on what I have on hand. Wouldn't it be fantastic to have ingredients and a pantry such as they have?
I also enjoy Emeril, old and new. He is first an entertainer, but he also cooks some mighty good food. I have never been disappointed with one of his recipes.
When it comes to recipes, I've used Alton Brown's and Paula Deen's more than any others. And I really love their personalities!
Old 06-29-2007, 08:51 PM   #18
Head Chef

I love watching Bobby Flay the most. Because I love him. I don't make much of what he makes.

I watch Barefoot Contessa because I want her house in the Hamptons, and I watch Paula Deen because she makes stuff I want to eat.

It's comfortable for me to watch NON-SKINNY people cook. (Weren't The Two Fat Ladies the most fun to watch? I have their first book, but have never made one thing from it. LOL!)

Also, I like to watch people who don't rush, who don't try to pack too much in to one show, and who don't talk too fast. Dave Lieberman takes his time, as does Michael Ciarello.

I have Food TV on in the background by default, whenever I'm in the living room doing anything that involves not really watching TV. I "sort of" see a lot of it.

Lee
Old 06-29-2007, 08:57 PM   #19
Master Chef

I like:

Iron Chef (both versions)
Good Eats
Secret Life Of
RR's Tasty Travels
Throw Down with Bobby Flay
Grillin and Chillin when they show it!!!

And a few others... sorry, my list is gettin long!
Old 06-29-2007, 09:50 PM   #20
Sous Chef

I also love
Top Chef (but I liked the host of the first season better then the current one)
Iron Chef America (I only like the original for the voice overs when they sound very high pitched and odd)
Barefoot contessa
everyday italian
and Jamie at home (I'll watch it if it's on)

Live Strong
SurvivorGirl is offline   Reply With Quote