Whats your favorite food network show?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eatandrun23

Assistant Cook
howdy everybody. i was just wondering what some of your fav food network shows are. i personally really like "the next food network star" and "ace of cakes." nothing is better then food, drama, challanges, and reality tv!!! what do you guys think? :chef:

Emeril Live
Iron Chef (original Japanese version first, the American version second)
BBQ with Bobby Flay
Good Eats with Alton Brown.

Even though Alton Brown can really grate the nerves on occasion, I love his highly technical approach to cooking,. It borders on an Engineer’s perspective which I greatly value.

The only 2 I ever watch these days with any regularity are Sara Moultin's show (which I had heard was being cancelled), & Alton Brown's "Good Eats". Once in awhile I also catch the reruns of the original "Essence of Emeril", when he was actually a chef & not a media event.

I really, really, REALLY miss the good old days of Food Network - before they got too big for their britches. They used to show the old Julia Child "The French Cook" series, the old Graham Kerr series, "The Two Fat Ladies" series, etc., etc. In the early days I nearly had their channel on 24/7 - lol!! No more.

Now it's just a media circus, with nothing but a handful of pseudo-chef monkeys doing 5 different shows apiece to fill up the time. Sad. Very sad. This ultimately could have been such a good network.

I only watch some of the cooking shows and bbq/grilling competitions.

I have no interest in th reality shows, the cake or sugar art 'competitions' and such.

Yes, the network has changed. It has changed to draw a larger group of viewers that care about food. They have to make money to stay on the air.

eatandrun23 said:
howdy everybody. i was just wondering what some of your fav food network shows are. i personally really like "the next food network star" and "ace of cakes." nothing is better then food, drama, challanges, and reality tv!!! what do you guys think? :chef:

iron chef, iron chef america, throwdown w/flay. i think cooking shows are generally pretty pointless; it makes more sense to me to just get a book & cook out of it. i don't get much out of cooking shows. the worst ones imho are the ones where someone travels to a city & goes to a bunch of different restaurants. nothing like watching someone eat, what a great idea for a show... :yuk:

edit: oh yeah I LOVE alton brown's show!! he's like the bill nye of food tv. he's not the same as other food network people because he gives us much more information than most people would ever want to know. i wish good eats was on more often.

Last edited:
I like the shows that are a little on the edge. One the other day, Flay made some Quail w/pomegranate and cinnamon glaze. Who'd a thunk? So I have this pomegranate liquor, honey and cinnamon.....

Right now I like Top Chef the best.

Also like Jacques Pepin's Fast Food My Way

Alton's on every night here. I've seen most of the episodes already though.

Andy M. said:
I only watch some of the cooking shows and bbq/grilling competitions.

I have no interest in th reality shows, the cake or sugar art 'competitions' and such.

Yes, the network has changed. It has changed to draw a larger group of viewers that care about food. They have to make money to stay on the air.

I'll agree with most of that. I think the network has changed to draw a larger market that doesn't necessarily care about food, hence the cook-offs and reality type/who's gonna be the next star shows.

I'm a fan of any show that doesn't pull out four fresh herbs and a bunch of smoked meat ingredients I can't spell ;)
Most of the 30 Minute Meals use "everyday" ingredients, half of Emeril's shows, earlier Bobby Flay......

If I hear one more person say, "Zest of a lemon" :mad:
Shoot, if I kept a lemon in the fridge until I came across a recipe asking for that, it would look like a spongy lime :LOL:

Both Iron Chefs, 30 Minute Meals, Good Deal, Everday Italian (I think that's it) and Paula's show (I forgot what it's called).

I don't like Essence of Emeril because I don't like much of what Emeril cooks. And personally I find Good Eats annoying. I understand how/why Alton ties the chemistry in w/ the show but the fast facts piss me off; it almost seems like most people watching would want to be stroking their own ego based off their general knowledge accumulation. Not to mention it seems like it's more about the dramatic devices than the cooking much of the time. I figured I'd better list why I don't like those since nearly everyone listed at least one of those within their favorites.

Last edited:
I guess Iron Chef America is my favorite. I have always loved cooking a meal based on what I have on hand. Wouldn't it be fantastic to have ingredients and a pantry such as they have?
I also enjoy Emeril, old and new. He is first an entertainer, but he also cooks some mighty good food. I have never been disappointed with one of his recipes.
When it comes to recipes, I've used Alton Brown's and Paula Deen's more than any others. And I really love their personalities!

I love watching Bobby Flay the most. Because I love him. I don't make much of what he makes.

I watch Barefoot Contessa because I want her house in the Hamptons, and I watch Paula Deen because she makes stuff I want to eat.

It's comfortable for me to watch NON-SKINNY people cook. (Weren't The Two Fat Ladies the most fun to watch? I have their first book, but have never made one thing from it. LOL!)

Also, I like to watch people who don't rush, who don't try to pack too much in to one show, and who don't talk too fast. Dave Lieberman takes his time, as does Michael Ciarello.

I have Food TV on in the background by default, whenever I'm in the living room doing anything that involves not really watching TV. I "sort of" see a lot of it.

Lee

I like:

Iron Chef (both versions)
Good Eats
Secret Life Of
RR's Tasty Travels
Throw Down with Bobby Flay
Grillin and Chillin when they show it!!!

And a few others... sorry, my list is gettin long!

I also love
Top Chef (but I liked the host of the first season better then the current one)
Iron Chef America (I only like the original for the voice overs when they sound very high pitched and odd:LOL:)
Barefoot contessa
everyday italian
and Jamie at home (I'll watch it if it's on)

Back
Top Bottom