What's your favorite spring-time dish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
I'm more than ready for the heat.

What's your spring time specialty? Food as well as cocktails.

Margaritas & BBQ for me.:chef:

Our warm weather cocktail of choice is Tanquaray and tonic. An occasional pitcher of Margaritas stands in for the G&T once in a while.

Anything on the grill to go with the drinks.

Anything that showcases my spring big 3, strawberries, asparaguses and artichokes. (not all in the same dish, if you know what I mean!)

Would have said fiddlehead ferns, but we no longer live where they grow, rats.

They only had a very narrow available time in which to find them, but loved them because of the taste, and they meant SPRING IS HERE.

Fresh, very fresh, locally grown asparagus.

Double yolker eggs (am told they only come from young chickens, and cannot find them in the colder months. Admit, I don't know the first thing about live chickens though).

Raw peanuts. Boiled, nothing is better. They usually do not come into the farmer markets until May, but they are one of the joys of the season.

Some of the trees are starting to flower. The farm store is about to open. And am starting to think about all of the wonderful foods the season will bring.

Take care and God bless.

I've always been curious to try fiddlehead ferns but alas I've only seen them in the pages of cookbooks or on the occasional cooking show.

I'm another vote for the BBQ/margarita camp. I love to cook veggies on the grill using my grill wok. And of course there is nothing like grilled fish, burgers, skewered meat/chicken etc.

I also love rubarb this time of year.

Strawberry short cake....with either a sour cream cake or buttermilk cake.
Lots of whipped topping. Beverage of choice Kentucky Straight Bourbon..sometimes Ice cold beer when I Q'ing.

Cheesecake!
Anything with strawberries.
Oh, yes, and anything else with cream cheese.

Not exactly a "dish" but just fresh strawberries, though in my neck of the woods they are not ready until early-mid June which is nearly summer time :LOL:

As others have mentioned, asparagus is another one of my favorites.

Sorry, I forgot about the drink part of the season.

A mint julep on the day of the Kentucky Derby is, perhaps, not the harbinger of Spring that the first robin is, but with the first sip of that drink I know that Winter is finally over. Also it is the day I decide if I will put some plants in the veggie garden or not - there is always the danger of a freeze.

Why I fret about the decision I just don't know. I always put some in and take my chances. Typically I lose.

Sorry ~ getting off topic.

I really do not like mint juleps. Ich, poo, spit. But by the first Saturday in May we have some of those infernal weeds popping up, and what else am I going to do with the stuff?

And if one does not take a swig or two of a julep, well, I don't kinow what horrors might confront us. So I take the leaves and make a couple of drinks.

I suppose it is just superstition, akin to eating black eyed peas on New Year's Day, or not walkng under a ladder, or the broken mirror thing. But I am convinced I keep us safe every Derby Day by imbibing the dreaded julep.

Someone has gotta do it.

In my neck of the woods, asparagus and morels will be coming up in a few weeks. Also baby anything ... lamb and veal come to mind. And I have a friend who loves mint juleps. I see the beginnings of my mint patch coming up. Yumm yummm.

Last edited:
BBQ'd anything, fresh sweet corn, tomatoes, asparagus and sweet onions - I always look forward to in the spring and summer. Can't wait !

fresh spring veggies, and potato salad...
far as drinks I am good with iced tea, don't
drink alocholic beverages...

Grilling!!

Now that the snow is cleared off the grill: Kabobs. The other night for dinner I made spicy orange chicken kabobs. When I went shopping last weekend I bought the ingredients for basil lemon shrimp kabobs. Or any other meals th at can be cooked on the grill. I have used my grill 7-8 times in the last week. :)

Accompanied by a glass of wine or a margarita is OK in my book. But if that is not available a nice tall glass of iced tea with a slice of lemon.

Fresh green salad with spinach, baby greens, arugula, sliced strawberries and sweet tangerine sections with a splash of black fig vinegar (recipe is from an HEB cooking class that I took)--black fig vinegar is do die for and can be served over ice cream as well

Back
Top Bottom