What's your Phobia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my phobia is stairs. especially tall stairs & escalators. i get panic attacks with those.

also, june bugs & ladybugs.

Oh June, I have this fear, too. Just imagining looking down from a great height makes me break out in a cold sweat. I'm better now in that I can drive over most tall bridges and overpasses. I also managed to parasail a few years ago, which oddly seemed to be the thing that let me begin driving over bridges. But a tall ladder - forget it. The Tower of the Americas (space needle) here in San Antonio is out, too.

Most bridges, for some reason, are okay. The big one I can't handle is the Coronado Bridge in San Diego. Just looking at it makes me queasy. :wacko:

I'm deathly afraid of heights. It didn't start until I was in my 20's and I don't know why. I don't like being closed in either. I never go on elevators that have the glass front that overlooks things.
I also don't like going under a train overpass if a train is on it. I will speed up just to get by. I keep thinking the train will crash down on me.

Barb

:) I also have a huge fear of heights and ladders I have nightmares about it as well. The needles also scare me did not get my ears my ears pierced until I was 38 I nearly passed out I also could not change my earrings with out getting sick to my stomach took a long time to get over that. Shots and drawing blood I will not look at either. I think that started when I was little when we would go back and forth overseas when they would give a shot they would LIE and say it will feel like a mosquito bite. Me and my brother would run and clamp onto a pole or desk or something they would have to pry us away and then we got our shots.

:) I will never forget when I was 20 working in the surgery unit at a hospital I sterilized intruments and such. They had a little boy maybe 4 or 5 on a gurney headed to the operating room for a Tympanoplasty sp? which is when they have a hole in the ear drum from an ear infection which they would put a patch on. His STUPID, STUPID, STUPID mother did I say STUPID? told him he was just going in for a hair cut. Imagine his shock when they wheeled him into the operating room. Needlessly to say the poor kid flipped out he was literally screaming bloody murder and fighting for his life as they held him down to knock him out. Makes me wonder how he reacted after that whenever his mother took him to the Barber for a "hair cut"

Most bridges, for some reason, are okay. The big one I can't handle is the Coronado Bridge in San Diego. Just looking at it makes me queasy. :wacko:

Wow! Interesting thread. I lived in Coronado and the bridge was no problem for me even though I don't like heights.
My big fear is one of being trapped. It goes with claustrophobia. My husband and I climbed to the top of the Statue of Liberty while in NY. We were standing on steps that were only wide enough for your own two feet. I looked up and saw people on every step for a long way up, looked down and saw the same thing. The thought suddenly hit me as to what would happen if you had to get out immediately. I suffered a panic attack so bad I hardly remember the rest of the view and it has stayed with me for for 45 years. I don't like being trapped. A small room may not bother me for awhile as long as I know I can get out righ away. If the door were suddenly locked I would freak out of my skin. I could NEVER have an MRI. The thought of it makes me sick. And like the first poster, I have to be cool. If I can't breath I panic.

scared of being anywhere that is high up. the worst though are , panic in crowded , in restrooms stalls(always use the handicapped one) being in a store with not much space between the displays. can hardly stand being shut in anywhere. even the drs. office. loud popping sounds like balloons popped etc.i know exactly where mine came from, i was held in my kitchen after seeing my husband murdered. tht is the confined spaces i think. the height is from childhood. phobias are very real to the people that have them. babe

goodness, Babe, I didn't know that about your husband........I'm so sorry to hear..........and I know that's not what you want to hear either...........of course you have panic/anxiety attacks........anyone who's been thru them knows what is involved.......otherwise, noone is fit to criticize.............

Heights is the only thing that I am really afraid of. I have normal fears also, car accident, I watch cars coming at me at all times. I fear I will wreck and die there, not being able to tell my boys and dh goodbye.

I don't like scorpians! Luckily we don't have any in Seattle so I only have to deal with them when we go to Greece.

Mine's a silly childhood phobia. I used to think I was scared of the dark, but I have figured out it's not the dark I'm scared of, it's the vampires that might be lurking in it LOL

Claustrophobia ...I have a touch of this...I don't do MRI Machines....

They are terrible! how do you get around them? Doc tor said only way to determine if I have problem is through MRI. Can't move when you are in there. Tried putting towel over my eyes but that seemed worse. Just like crawling under breezeway, can't breathe right.

Blood -- when I was a kid I used to get really queesy just at a scene of a tiniest drop of a blood in films, even if it was a cartoon:ermm: Over the years I got more tolerant but I still have to look away at any gory scenes when we are watching films.

Praying mantis -- my hair stand on their ends just looking at them.... ewww

Looking UP (not down) when I am on the edge of a tall building, a cliff etc. I feel like I get sucked down from some unexplained force from below... I guess I have a slight streak of vertigo...

Earthquake-- I experienced them quite a lot when I was growing up. Even a slightest one absolutely terrified me. The utter unpredictability of it makes them even scarier than hurricanes and tornadoes.

yep, Uncle Bob, an MRI machine isn't much fun.......my dr. office actually played some soothing music so it wasn't so bad.........Urmaniac.......I remember being terrified of the quakes in Alaska as a young child.......and this is a few years before the big ones....by the way you're really going to go yewwwwwww but I happen to love preying mantises.......had one in our science room all year......students brought insects for her to feed on.....at the end of the year after several moltings and bigger in size I released her with the best wishes and tears........she had a will of iron.......never will I forget her...........

They are terrible! how do you get around them? Doc tor said only way to determine if I have problem is through MRI. Can't move when you are in there. Tried putting towel over my eyes but that seemed worse. Just like crawling under breezeway, can't breathe right.

I'm perfectly serious about this, ITK - ask your doctor for an Rx for a Valium to take before the procedure. HTH.

Blood -- Praying mantis -- my hair stand on their ends just looking at them.... ewww.

This is something I might be able to help with, simple fear.

Here's a thought. During our Revolutionary War, the British used to refer to the colonists in derogatory terms, one in particular. The colonists took that word, made a song out of it, and sang it often to the Tories at the local pubs. The slang term was quickly dropped.

You know the song as "Yankee Doodle."

Take the fear and use it. When I first saw "The Alien," even I jumped. But realistically, you have to hand it to the creators of special effects. In the latest movie "Alien vs Predator," they actually built a twenty foot queen that runs with smooth motions. It was so seamless I first thought it was CGI. I admired the skill, I no longer feared.

I retired because I could no longer take the stress. I bought a new bike, installed a ridiculously large custom motor, installed a torque cam, alloy push rods and had the monster dyno tuned.

Even in my world, the bike is dangerous.

As I rode it hard for the first time after break-in, I pushed it past 93 MPH, and just like in the movie, I exhaled.

Danger is what you make it--the thing to which you give power. I was unable to be a credit manager because I just couldn't beat the beast. I feared it. Rubbing an elbow on a speeding Kenworth is simply "interesting."

I have not always been successful in this pursuit, but I recommend you simply go fight your fears. Most are paper tigers.

I have a fear of driving across tall bridges over water. Over land I'm fine. If I'm not driving I am carefully watching whoever is. I didn't used to be that way. I have no idea where or when it came about. I force myself to drive over some as long as they are not too long but even then I "white-knuckle" the steering wheel. It's strange, if you know anything about Atlanta, I drive over the highest overpass of Spaghetti Junction and it doesn't bother me a bit.

http://googlesightseeing.com/maps?p...96,-84.258463&spn=0.012574,0.018153&t=k&hl=en

I've always had a phobia about getting haircuts .... and dogs .... and heights ....

Back
Top Bottom