"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-02-2008, 02:23 PM   #21
Master Chef

my phobia is stairs. especially tall stairs & escalators. i get panic attacks with those.

also, june bugs & ladybugs.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:29 PM   #22
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Oh June, I have this fear, too. Just imagining looking down from a great height makes me break out in a cold sweat. I'm better now in that I can drive over most tall bridges and overpasses. I also managed to parasail a few years ago, which oddly seemed to be the thing that let me begin driving over bridges. But a tall ladder - forget it. The Tower of the Americas (space needle) here in San Antonio is out, too.
Most bridges, for some reason, are okay. The big one I can't handle is the Coronado Bridge in San Diego. Just looking at it makes me queasy.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:30 PM   #23
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
97% of those could be summed up in one word: Crazy

Who gets paid to come up with this stuff?
Someone with a book to sell on how to overcome your phobias!
Old 09-02-2008, 03:10 PM   #24
Senior Cook

I'm deathly afraid of heights. It didn't start until I was in my 20's and I don't know why. I don't like being closed in either. I never go on elevators that have the glass front that overlooks things.
I also don't like going under a train overpass if a train is on it. I will speed up just to get by. I keep thinking the train will crash down on me.

Barb
Old 09-02-2008, 03:51 PM   #25
Executive Chef

I also have a huge fear of heights and ladders I have nightmares about it as well. The needles also scare me did not get my ears my ears pierced until I was 38 I nearly passed out I also could not change my earrings with out getting sick to my stomach took a long time to get over that. Shots and drawing blood I will not look at either. I think that started when I was little when we would go back and forth overseas when they would give a shot they would LIE and say it will feel like a mosquito bite. Me and my brother would run and clamp onto a pole or desk or something they would have to pry us away and then we got our shots.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:09 PM   #26
Executive Chef

I will never forget when I was 20 working in the surgery unit at a hospital I sterilized intruments and such. They had a little boy maybe 4 or 5 on a gurney headed to the operating room for a Tympanoplasty sp? which is when they have a hole in the ear drum from an ear infection which they would put a patch on. His STUPID, STUPID, STUPID mother did I say STUPID? told him he was just going in for a hair cut. Imagine his shock when they wheeled him into the operating room. Needlessly to say the poor kid flipped out he was literally screaming bloody murder and fighting for his life as they held him down to knock him out. Makes me wonder how he reacted after that whenever his mother took him to the Barber for a "hair cut"
Old 09-02-2008, 04:14 PM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Most bridges, for some reason, are okay. The big one I can't handle is the Coronado Bridge in San Diego. Just looking at it makes me queasy.
Wow! Interesting thread. I lived in Coronado and the bridge was no problem for me even though I don't like heights.
My big fear is one of being trapped. It goes with claustrophobia. My husband and I climbed to the top of the Statue of Liberty while in NY. We were standing on steps that were only wide enough for your own two feet. I looked up and saw people on every step for a long way up, looked down and saw the same thing. The thought suddenly hit me as to what would happen if you had to get out immediately. I suffered a panic attack so bad I hardly remember the rest of the view and it has stayed with me for for 45 years. I don't like being trapped. A small room may not bother me for awhile as long as I know I can get out righ away. If the door were suddenly locked I would freak out of my skin. I could NEVER have an MRI. The thought of it makes me sick. And like the first poster, I have to be cool. If I can't breath I panic.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:41 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

scared of being anywhere that is high up. the worst though are , panic in crowded , in restrooms stalls(always use the handicapped one) being in a store with not much space between the displays. can hardly stand being shut in anywhere. even the drs. office. loud popping sounds like balloons popped etc.i know exactly where mine came from, i was held in my kitchen after seeing my husband murdered. tht is the confined spaces i think. the height is from childhood. phobias are very real to the people that have them. babe
Old 09-03-2008, 12:58 AM   #29
Master Chef

goodness, Babe, I didn't know that about your husband........I'm so sorry to hear..........and I know that's not what you want to hear either...........of course you have panic/anxiety attacks........anyone who's been thru them knows what is involved.......otherwise, noone is fit to criticize.............
Old 09-03-2008, 08:07 AM   #30
Master Chef

Heights is the only thing that I am really afraid of. I have normal fears also, car accident, I watch cars coming at me at all times. I fear I will wreck and die there, not being able to tell my boys and dh goodbye.