What's your Phobia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't deal with balconies in theaters. I feel as if I'm leaning over and falling.

Ive always been a little claustrophobic. Not to the extent that it affected my life, but I didnt like small enclosed areas, or being held tightly ( like in wrestling or something like that) Until a few years ago, when i had the bright idea to go into a shark cage and be dipped into the shark tank. The cage didnt bother me. Neither did the sharks. But, the wet suit freaked me out. As I zipped it up, it felt like someone was putting shrink wrap all over me. I immediately tried to get it off, but as it was tight and wet, it stuck to my body. I consider myself at least of average intelligence, so I was trying to reason with myself, that it was no big deal and there was no danger, but my phobia completely took over. I went up to the dive master and said I cant do this. He told me not to worry , the cage is secure and the sharks dont bite.... I told him , I dont care about all that, its the wet suit that is freaking me out !!!!! I finally distracted myself enough to proceed, when I then had to put on the oxygen tanks and face mask, and it was all forced breathing. I managed to get past that too, when suddenly, I heard an announcment over the loud speaker, for all the guests at the aquarium to gather around the shark tank to watch a guest " ME " go into the shark tank.... Well, needless to say, i wasnt that happiest person, but I got through it.

Anyway, since that experience, I find it very difficult to wear a seat belt, be in small rooms, go on a bus, plane, van, elevators....... It totally increased my claustrophobic sensitivity 100X.

And as I mentioned earlier, its totally a mind thing. I can understand that there is no danger at all, but once in the situation, my body just kinda takes over, i sweat, heart rate goes up ....

I don't know I would call most of my issues "phobias"
I call them idontwannas

I dont like heights
I don't like to be unable to see outside
I dont like my food to touch
I dont like slimy stuff
I dont like my doors and windows unbolted at night
I dont like crowds
I dont want strangers (or my mother) to hug me
I HATE FEET
but none of the above makes me freak out of throw up.

Ok I lied, driving in the snow.... my SIL/best friend was killed 5 years ago in an icy car accident.
That makes me refuse to leave the house.
ok except for cleaning up throw up.
is that a phobia?

Larry, the thought of that wet suit just made me freak out. Just started losing my breath and jittering. Gosh, something I never thought about, and guess I won't be trying.

Yeah, it was completely bizarre. I was so busy worrying about the **** sharks, never even though the wet suit would be an issue. Boy, was i wrong!!

Attachments

• 232323232fp347>nu=3242>999>;<9>WSNRCG=3233994-36<48nu0mrj.jpeg
    232323232fp347>nu=3242>999>;<9>WSNRCG=3233994-36<48nu0mrj.jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 161
  • of=50,332,443.jpeg
    of=50,332,443.jpeg
    14.9 KB · Views: 157
I don't even like putting my head under water much less getting in a wet suit.......I'll never forget the day that my DH pulled me off the reef at Sharm El Sheik in Egypt and I was struggling for air......he held onto me until the panic attack wore off......but it was frightening and beautiful at the same time.......such gorgeous wonderful sights......will never forget it.......glad he pulled me off............my two children were swimming like dolphins....they were amazing to look at.......wished that I could have been like them........still scared of water to this day............

I don't like scorpians! Luckily we don't have any in Seattle so I only have to deal with them when we go to Greece.

:) Not do I only not like scorpians I absolutely flip out when I see one they are soo creepy. Don't have them here but they do in Texas where I used to go work for 2 months every year the giant red wasps and the giant centipedes that are poisonous as well in Texas also freak me out.

:) Oh, I forgot my biggest phobia, it's flying it scares the living daylights out of me. Needless to say I have missed out on some great world traveling. I am fine in a foreign country or any where else but it's the freaking plane ride that scares me to no end. I will get on a plane if it's absolutely necessary like when my dad died but I still need to go to the doctor and get an RX for xanax it really doesn't help much at all. I was afraid of flying even when I was a little girl. When I was younger I flew from New Mexico to Boston and then to Nantucket to see a boyfriend. He took me to see a friend who owned a boat the friend said that since flying scares me so much I would not like being on the boat either. I told him that is not the problem I can't fly but I can swim. Someone once said it's natural to fly look at the birds they fly I replied yes they do but they do not fly at 30.000 plus ft.:wacko::wacko:

:) Not do I only not like scorpians I absolutely flip out when I see one they are soo creepy. Don't have them here but they do in Texas where I used to go work for 2 months every year the giant red wasps and the giant centipedes that are poisonous as well in Texas also freak me out.

glad I'm not the only one!!!

"the boy" other wise known as my son used to capture them and put them in a jar with spiders and ants and let them battle it to the death. Scared me to death!!!!! But boys will be boys! YUCK!!!!! FREAK OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wacko::wacko:

glad I'm not the only one!!!

"the boy" other wise known as my son used to capture them and put them in a jar with spiders and ants and let them battle it to the death. Scared me to death!!!!! But boys will be boys! YUCK!!!!! FREAK OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wacko::wacko:

:) I did finally buy for Texas a huge Mombasa net to hang from the ceiling and tuck under the matress so I could finally sleep without being worried about a scorpian crawling in my bed. It is kind of fun as well having the net, not sure why but you kind of feel like a princess or on a African Safari plus you know for sure no nasty scorpians etc will crawl all over you and sting you.

yep, stepped on a scorpion when I was about 16---------the worst pain imaginable........my foot throbbed all night long......wasp stings paled in comparison.....I can see why some people actually die from stings.....you want to.....

Bit of a plug I know but it's all for a very good cause. As you can see from my signature not only do I cook in my spare time but I run a Phobia Support Forum.

My phobias include: Dentists, needles and spiders!

I have 3 phobias since my childhood:

Achluophobia - Fear of darkness.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mysophobia - Fear of germs or contamination or dirt[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT], I have this phobia in extreme, even thinking about the contamination or germs causes rash in my body.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Claustrophobia - Fear of confined spaces.[/FONT][/FONT]

I have a fear of edges and ledges. Put me more than 10 feet off the ground and I will NOT stand on the edge of the precipe. Not within 3 feet.
Put up a flimsy barrier of any kind and I am fine.
No fear of heights... just edges.

And dentists. Thank goodness I got good teeth genes.

And ticks. Ticks are demonic creatures that should be eradicated.

I am petrified of heights. This last week we were at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. There was one staircase that led up to the 6th floor from the 5th that jutted out over the open space in the center of the building and you could look down to the ground floor. There was a clear barrier from the rail to the step and I was a wreck by the time I got to the top! Coming down those steps was worse since I was forced to look down!

I also am not fond of cows. Fortunately, I live in the city and don't encounter them often!

simply can't be confined. doesn't matter how big or how small the space. i know where it came from. was held hostage when my husband was killed. i need to know i can get out and sometimes i have to do just that, just get out. many of the other phobias from the event have gone away or have been made manageable. not this one.

Back
Top Bottom