"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-03-2008, 06:22 PM   #41
Senior Cook

I can't deal with balconies in theaters. I feel as if I'm leaning over and falling.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:54 PM   #42
Head Chef

Ive always been a little claustrophobic. Not to the extent that it affected my life, but I didnt like small enclosed areas, or being held tightly ( like in wrestling or something like that) Until a few years ago, when i had the bright idea to go into a shark cage and be dipped into the shark tank. The cage didnt bother me. Neither did the sharks. But, the wet suit freaked me out. As I zipped it up, it felt like someone was putting shrink wrap all over me. I immediately tried to get it off, but as it was tight and wet, it stuck to my body. I consider myself at least of average intelligence, so I was trying to reason with myself, that it was no big deal and there was no danger, but my phobia completely took over. I went up to the dive master and said I cant do this. He told me not to worry , the cage is secure and the sharks dont bite.... I told him , I dont care about all that, its the wet suit that is freaking me out !!!!! I finally distracted myself enough to proceed, when I then had to put on the oxygen tanks and face mask, and it was all forced breathing. I managed to get past that too, when suddenly, I heard an announcment over the loud speaker, for all the guests at the aquarium to gather around the shark tank to watch a guest " ME " go into the shark tank.... Well, needless to say, i wasnt that happiest person, but I got through it.

Anyway, since that experience, I find it very difficult to wear a seat belt, be in small rooms, go on a bus, plane, van, elevators....... It totally increased my claustrophobic sensitivity 100X.

And as I mentioned earlier, its totally a mind thing. I can understand that there is no danger at all, but once in the situation, my body just kinda takes over, i sweat, heart rate goes up ....

Old 09-03-2008, 07:01 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I don't know I would call most of my issues "phobias"
I call them idontwannas

I dont like heights
I don't like to be unable to see outside
I dont like my food to touch
I dont like slimy stuff
I dont like my doors and windows unbolted at night
I dont like crowds
I dont want strangers (or my mother) to hug me
I HATE FEET
but none of the above makes me freak out of throw up.

Ok I lied, driving in the snow.... my SIL/best friend was killed 5 years ago in an icy car accident.
That makes me refuse to leave the house.
ok except for cleaning up throw up.
is that a phobia?
Old 09-03-2008, 07:03 PM   #44
Executive Chef

Larry, the thought of that wet suit just made me freak out. Just started losing my breath and jittering. Gosh, something I never thought about, and guess I won't be trying.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:11 PM   #45
Head Chef

Yeah, it was completely bizarre. I was so busy worrying about the **** sharks, never even though the wet suit would be an issue. Boy, was i wrong!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	232323232fp347>nu=3242>999>;<9>WSNRCG=3233994-36<48nu0mrj.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	5277   Click image for larger version

Name:	of=50,332,443.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	5278  

Old 09-03-2008, 07:42 PM   #46
Master Chef

I don't even like putting my head under water much less getting in a wet suit.......I'll never forget the day that my DH pulled me off the reef at Sharm El Sheik in Egypt and I was struggling for air......he held onto me until the panic attack wore off......but it was frightening and beautiful at the same time.......such gorgeous wonderful sights......will never forget it.......glad he pulled me off............my two children were swimming like dolphins....they were amazing to look at.......wished that I could have been like them........still scared of water to this day............
Old 09-03-2008, 08:40 PM   #47
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife View Post
I don't like scorpians! Luckily we don't have any in Seattle so I only have to deal with them when we go to Greece.
Not do I only not like scorpians I absolutely flip out when I see one they are soo creepy. Don't have them here but they do in Texas where I used to go work for 2 months every year the giant red wasps and the giant centipedes that are poisonous as well in Texas also freak me out.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:06 PM   #48
Executive Chef

Oh, I forgot my biggest phobia, it's flying it scares the living daylights out of me. Needless to say I have missed out on some great world traveling. I am fine in a foreign country or any where else but it's the freaking plane ride that scares me to no end. I will get on a plane if it's absolutely necessary like when my dad died but I still need to go to the doctor and get an RX for xanax it really doesn't help much at all. I was afraid of flying even when I was a little girl. When I was younger I flew from New Mexico to Boston and then to Nantucket to see a boyfriend. He took me to see a friend who owned a boat the friend said that since flying scares me so much I would not like being on the boat either. I told him that is not the problem I can't fly but I can swim. Someone once said it's natural to fly look at the birds they fly I replied yes they do but they do not fly at 30.000 plus ft.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:10 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
Not do I only not like scorpians I absolutely flip out when I see one they are soo creepy. Don't have them here but they do in Texas where I used to go work for 2 months every year the giant red wasps and the giant centipedes that are poisonous as well in Texas also freak me out.

glad I'm not the only one!!!

"the boy" other wise known as my son used to capture them and put them in a jar with spiders and ants and let them battle it to the death. Scared me to death!!!!! But boys will be boys! YUCK!!!!! FREAK OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-03-2008, 09:30 PM   #50
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife View Post
glad I'm not the only one!!!

"the boy" other wise known as my son used to capture them and put them in a jar with spiders and ants and let them battle it to the death. Scared me to death!!!!! But boys will be boys! YUCK!!!!! FREAK OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I did finally buy for Texas a huge Mombasa net to hang from the ceiling and tuck under the matress so I could finally sleep without being worried about a scorpian crawling in my bed. It is kind of fun as well having the net, not sure why but you kind of feel like a princess or on a African Safari plus you know for sure no nasty scorpians etc will crawl all over you and sting you.