What's your Phobia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quicksilver

Washing Up
I caught the end of a TV piece about someone with a phobia this morning, which started me thinking.

Since I was about 40, I can't sleep in bed without a ceiling fan on. If I try, the room feels as if it's closing in and I get panicy. I feel this way in enclosed, small spaces too. Or if there are too many people too close to me. To relieve this feeling in public, I have to fan myself with something; a pad, magazine or something.

So I found a site that lists phobias: Types of Phobias

I couldn't believe how long the list is!
So I guess I've either developed Claustrophobia or Clithrophobia.
When I was a child I think I had Didaskaleinophobia when my homework wasn't done, but cured myself by developing momophobia! (fear of my mother! LOL!)

Married people suffer from Pentheraphobia!

Anyone else have a phobia, and what do you do about it?

I could have played Jeff Daniel's role in Arachniphobia much better than he did. Spiders didn't used to bother me, but somewhere between 5 and 15 I became very afraid of them, which kind of stinks living in the country....
My house was covered with them when I moved in, but a pressure washer and a product called Viper, sprayed around the foundation twice a year, put an end to that. I spray my "toy box", too. And I designed my chicken coop so I could do everything from the outside (I don't spray around the chickens), without having to walk in and turn around, only to see what could have jumped on my neck. Gives me the chills just thinking about them. I don't seem to notice them much in my polebarn.... I think the bats living in there keep them in check :ermm:

I guess my fear is more general that yours, pacanis.
More like Entomphobia. I'm not a screamer, but get a bug on me, and I can shatter glass! LOL!

When I was in my twenties I was afraid of health and germ issues. As a small child in 1953, my problematic tonsils were blasted with three doses of radium. Lots of those "patients" developed thyroid problems.

Believe it or not, my lifestyle changed a lot of that.

I was also afraid of street crime for a bit. I'd walk around Madison at +2:00AM and see danger at every intersection. As I rode with my club more and more into the late night I found I was the cause of fear, not the recipient.

I think I fear the loss of mobility now as I age. That fateful day when someone I do not recognize, but claims to be a relative, takes my car keys, my pants, my cycle boots and my dignity and plants me in front of a "Matlock" TV marathon.

That day is coming. I saw a scantily clad young woman at the gym last week. Honestly, my first thought was, "I wonder if her dad knows she wears that..."

...do they still run Matlock reruns?

I'm also a fan person. When I'm in an enclosed room with a bunch of strangers I need to fan myself or I start feeling anxious & start perspiring profusely.
I keep a fan in every room at home.

I can't stand needles. I cannot watch having my blood drawn, for instance.

Oh dear! :ohmy: I wish I could say I don't have any, but I have a fairly severe case of Acrophobia. I cah't even stand on the top step of a step ladder if there's not something really secure to hang onto. and I definitely cannot look down from that top step.

If I go to the top of a tall building, I can look out, but not down. I first noticed the problem when I was on the Parachute ride at Riverview Park in Chicago when I was about 18. Before that, no problem at all! :wacko:

ok, anything that makes my sense of balance go off.......so that just about eliminates most carnival rides.........don't know why......but the thought of a roller coaster makes me nauseous.........never saw a more happy young man at the summer camp when I wholeheartedly volunteered for the 3and 4 year olds........"are you sure, Ma'am, that you wouldn't rather go with the older kids???????" He couldn't believe that I wanted to be in charge of them.......even so I still screamed on the little kiddies' carnival rides........what a dweeb.....but I was happy and so were my "kids".

...do they still run Matlock reruns?
:LOL:

expat, I'm with you. I would rather have another c-section than go on a roller coaster. I am so scared of them. However, I am very proud to say that dh & I took the kids to an amusement park recently and dh (who is terrified of heights, thus no roller coasters for him) stayed with the younger boy while I went on 3, count them 3 different horrifically scary coasters. The worst had our legs dangling down, while we went through many loops. (I will say though, my eyes were closed the whole time!)

I have a really weird phobia. I lock the doors before going to bed. Then I get up, go downstairs, and check them again. Every night.

I'm afraid of birds. When I was 6 or 7. Or maybe even 8, I was spending summer on the farm and one of the sons was told to go get a chicken for diner. He went into the coupe, grabbed the first one, he could get. Picked up an ax and chopped the head of. Then he simply throws the chicken on the ground and that thing was still running. Of course I was standing there observing the whole process, but then the dead chicken started to run towards me. I got so scared I just stood there frozen, unable to move.

Latter on, that same year, bunch of the older boys, who lived in the same apartment. Were terrorizing some small bird, that they cut some how, we little kids, 3 or 4, of us told them that they were mean. We should have kept quite. They cut up with us, tide us to the tree, one of them twisted the head of the bird of. And then they were swinging that dead body in front of our faces. I think I fainted. Of course they got in trouble for that, but the damage was done, I panic every time any birds get near me. It’s been some 40 years, I still can' stand it. Couple years ago some birds made couple of nests under my deck; I don't go out on the deck anymore. Thank G-d I have front porch that is where I moved my grill.

I lock the doors before going to bed. Then I get up, go downstairs, and check them again. Every night.

You're OCD. I had a touch of that before the second nervous breakdown and the nasty taser incident.

It's very common, and there are wonderful treatments and cognitive therapy. You can also get a referral from your regular doctor and get it covered by insurance.

I'm afraid of birds. When I was 6 or 7. Or maybe even 8, I was spending summer on the farm and one of the sons was told to go get a chicken for diner. He went into the coupe, grabbed the first one, he could get. Picked up an ax and chopped the head of. Then he simply throws the chicken on the ground and that thing was still running. Of course I was standing there observing the whole process, but then the dead chicken started to run towards me. I got so scared I just stood there frozen, unable to move.

Latter on, that same year, bunch of the older boys, who lived in the same apartment. Were terrorizing some small bird, that they cut some how, we little kids, 3 or 4, of us told them that they were mean. We should have kept quite. They cut up with us, tide us to the tree, one of them twisted the head of the bird of. And then they were swinging that dead body in front of our faces. I think I fainted. Of course they got in trouble for that, but the damage was done, I panic every time any birds get near me. It’s been some 40 years, I still can' stand it. Couple years ago some birds made couple of nests under my deck; I don't go out on the deck anymore. Thank god I have front porch that is where I moved my grill.

That's so sad, Charlie......how mean of those boys to have traumatized you so........i have seen the worst abuse of an animal ever and to this day 30 years later I can't talk about it.........it still brings tears.........so for you to be afraid of birds is totally understanding

I guess my biggest phobia is MILK. I don't like, can't watch people drink it, and I really hate those milk mustache ads.

I cook with it and that is about it. I keep my distance from it.

But... I will gladly drink buttermilk!!!

Oh dear! :ohmy: I wish I could say I don't have any, but I have a fairly severe case of Acrophobia. I cah't even stand on the top step of a step ladder if there's not something really secure to hang onto. and I definitely cannot look down from that top step.

If I go to the top of a tall building, I can look out, but not down. I first noticed the problem when I was on the Parachute ride at Riverview Park in Chicago when I was about 18. Before that, no problem at all! :wacko:
Oh June, I have this fear, too. Just imagining looking down from a great height makes me break out in a cold sweat. I'm better now in that I can drive over most tall bridges and overpasses. I also managed to parasail a few years ago, which oddly seemed to be the thing that let me begin driving over bridges. But a tall ladder - forget it. The Tower of the Americas (space needle) here in San Antonio is out, too.

my phobia is being in room w/closed door or having to crawl under breezeway to get dead carcass of something that crawled in there. One time went into submarine and had to turn back, couldn't breathe. Similar to be in coffin I think.

Sattie - this will help you when you see the ads...the mustache isn't milk! It's actually a thick white paint type substance.:)

Oh... that still does not help.... just the thought of the milk on their lip makes me squimish!

I just thought of another phobia.... I can't watch needles piercing skin. And for some reason movies always have to show that part when something is being injected.

It took me over 5 years (as an adult) to get comfortable with changing my own earrings. My mom had to do it for me because if I tried to take out or put in earrings, I would get sick to my stomache and pass out. I still get queasy when I go to the doctor and they have to draw blood or give me a shot.

Gore does not bother me usually, but when they show a knife cutting through flesh or a needle going through flesh... time to check out!

I am horrified of Moths/Butterflies..

I guess it could branch back to when I was about 8 years old, the farmers were harvesting the fields and for some reason, our town became infested with moths. I can remember sitting in the living room watching tv, and just looking around at all the moths sitting on our walls, and flying around our light fixtures.... Literally, every room in the house would have at least 20-30 moths on the walls. For some reason, our back porch was the WORST. We had 2 refrigerators, one inside, and one on the back porch. The one on the back porch had all the sodas and juices. One of my older brothers asked me to get him a soda one night.. I had learned if you don't turn the back porch light on, the moths weren't as bad.. So I slipped out the door, in the dark, when suddenly I heard the door shut behind me, and the bright light flicked on.... I couldn't even see, there were SO many moths... Hitting me in the face, flying down my shirt, smacking them as I flung my arms around...........

They were never that bad again, but to this day, you will see me FLIP OUT, if one gets close to me..

Back
Top Bottom