What's your remedy for a good night's sleep?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Xanax is a good one. But, doctors here are really against writing prescriptions for it. I have trouble sleeping no matter what. Stress is a big factor. For a while I had something I purchased at a health food store for anxiety called Valerio. (Would have to look up the correct name.) You put a few drops in water or tea?, can't remember. It didn't work for me. Maybe it might help someone else. An old bf would make up herbal tinctures (sp?) like St. John's Wart, etc.

I don't recall much about the herbs and how to use them. I've also read about products called anxietol(?) that you can buy on the internet. Again, don't know how successful those products are, or if they are in fact approved by the FDA. There was a time when buying Tryptophan (capsules) at a vitamin store was suppossedly good. But, after time, it was said to be bad for you.

There were other things on the market(?) I recall like Zell ZH3 - I would have to look up the exact name. Also procaine, but that might be a derivitive of cocaine. Not even sure if they were on the contraband list, but certain vitamin stores did sell it.

I just sleep when I'm tired - or get up and wait until I'm tired enough to fall asleep.

A girl I knew got addicted to Xanax and had to go to a Psychiatric hospital to be taken off it. Apparantly its highly addictive and her doctor just kept giving her prescriptions for it.

In my mid-twenties I was hospitalized for surgery. THe doctor insisted that I needed to sleep at night and insisted I take sleeping pills while in the hospital. I have no idea what they were. I was in the hospital for a week and went home completely addicted. I couldn't afford the pills, and didn't sleep more than snatches here and there for a couple of weeks. I needed to work, desperately, with lots of overtime, to pay for the hospital bills. I firmly believe that the 3-6 hours of sleep I might get on an insomniac night (most) is better than taking drugs. I sure as heck hope that the drugs have gotten better.

Claire said:
I firmly believe that the 3-6 hours of sleep I might get on an insomniac night (most) is better than taking drugs. I sure as heck hope that the drugs have gotten better.
I'm so with you on that one Claire.

Some years ago, I had a unpleasant experience with sleeping pills. I only took them for about 3 weeks. Never again. Maybe the dosage was too high, but I found they drugged me for about 16 hours. Took 1 at 8pm and was still feeling the effects of it by lunch the following day. It was a near impossibility to get out of bed. The other problem was that I was working in a manual job, operating dangerous machinery.:ohmy:

Its 4am as I am rereading this thread for sleep inspiration!!! I have been awake for about 2 hours and not feling sleepy but I know when I have to get up for work I'll be wrecked. The only plus is the cat is happy to see me and is curld up on my lap.:)

I keep reading this thread hoping someone has hit on a magic cure. I couldn't go to sleep til after 1:30 this morning, then awoke at 3, fell asleep after 4 and awoke again before 5. I'm not feeling too hot today and don't know if the problem is lack of sleep or if lack of sleep was because I didn't feel so good. At least I don't have to go to work anymore. That is the worst part when working. I don't dare take a nap because it may interfere with tonight's rest. I'm just doing my work like zombie today.

I rarely have trouble sleeping, but when I do, I have found that a warm bath, especially with the lights off and a scented candle burning, really helps me to sleep. While I am in the tub I pray and then just let everything leave my mind. I dry off quickly and slip into bed before my body has had time to cool off from the bath, and drift right off. There have been times that I was tossing and turning and couldn't sleep. Even at 3:00 a.m., I know that I will be better off to just get out of bed and take a bath!

If I can't sleep because of kidney stone pain, I either take a Hydrocodone or a couple Tylenol P.M.s, then I take the bath and go to bed.

:) Barbara

licia - the only thing that really works best for me (natural remedy) is a strong cup of milo. I'm not sure if you have it in the US, but it is made by Nestle. It is made the same way you would an instant coffee - eg 2 heaped teaspoons milo, milk to taste and add boiling water. It is 'chocolatey', and served in hospital here as a bedtime cuppa about 10pm. Web site here;
http://www.nestle.com.au/milo/

Strange as it may sound, my Mum also recommends eating a lettuce leaf before bed. Now dont laugh - just try it.

One problem with the hot bath/shower thing is that if you suffer from menopause-onset problems, they can exacerbate night sweats. Can't win! When I was younger I mentioned it (I was always one for night showers vs morning) and several women mention the night-sweat-menopause connection. In other words, if you're at that age, something that helps you go to sleep may make it so that you can't finish a good night's sleep! I'm one of those who rarely has problems getting to sleep, but wakes up at 3 a.m. and falls back asleep around sunrise -- didn't work when I was gainfully employed!

I don't have insomnia sleeping problems, but I do find myself waking up a few times during the night. My doctor told me it was because I was having problems breathing and didn't realize it. I now use vicks vapor rub on before I go to bed and I seem to sleep better through the night. If I really want to have a cozy night and sleep for hours I have a warm bath and a large cup of hot chocolate :)

Start with a good mattress, comfy pillows, non-exfoliating sheets and a peaceful/quiet atmosphere. If there is too much sunlight in the room, block it out. Make your sleep environment a calming one. Well, that's my two cents.

I agree with mish....
don`t let anything disturbing get into the sleeping room.. no light, take care the curtains are tightly closed... and avoid any noise..
do you have electric things in the bedroom? Throw them out, radiation is a sleep killer... when you have an electric alarm clock, make sure its more than 1m away from your head.

scientific studies found out, that the way the bed is located also has influence.
people don`t like to sleep with the head towards the door, that is left from when we slept in caves and you never knew what came in... :mrgreen:
in the eastern world people believe in the influence of chi on the body... probably the chi goes the wrong way or gets sacked in your bedroom, but for that check some feng shui websites...
some people (like my aunt) would check for underground watercourses, they are said to kill sleep, too..

but what to do right now?
Ever tried a cup of warm milk with honey? Or a quarter of good red wine?
valerian definitely lets you calm down and sleep, if you are not a cat? Ever tried valerian on a cat? Marvellous!!:ROFLMAO:
let fresh air into the bedroom before you go to sleep...
avoid horror and action movies.. an forty years old romantic movie made 1Mio people sleep better ;o)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom