"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 10-12-2005, 04:04 PM   #11
Head Chef
I find a bath or shower before bed often relaxes me or the good old hot milk but I have to have milo in mine! I have tried this over the counter sleeping aid called Dozile and its quite good but you don't want to rely on drugs for ever.

There is no such thing as a little garlic.
mrsmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 09:39 PM   #12
Head Chef
I would just like to have insomnia! I can sleep anywhere...anyway...anytime. lol.

You can close your eyes to the things you do not want to see, but you can't close your heart to the things you do not want to feel.
KAYLINDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 10:44 PM   #13
Master Chef
I have found that plenty of exercise during the day does wonders. I really don't have that problem most days with my job. I get plenty of exercise unless I get stuck in the office. A proper diet also is good. Don't overeat or eat things high in sugar or with caffeine. I try not to do any stressful or very active things an hour or two before bedtime. No watching scary movies before bedtime. I agree a nice soothing cup of non-caffeine tea is very relaxing.
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 11:53 PM   #14
Head Chef
Ok, You Ready?. Try a nice warm bath with Johnsons sleepy time bath. After that rub on Johnsons sleepy time lotion. Then finally drink a cup of hot sleepy time tea (which ever flavor you prefer). Then go to bed about 8:00 pm
"Experience is the name everyone gives to his mistakes."

tweedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 02:07 AM   #15
Hospitality Queen
Set your alarm clock for 5:45am and really get up then! That's when I get up and I'm usually sleepy by 10:45. Today is really late for me (midnight here), but that's because I haven't finished my laundry.
Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 05:44 AM   #16
Executive Chef
I slept better last night (with the help of 2 tylenol pm tablets). I awoke two or three times but went right back to sleep. It was about ten when I went to bed and I was fully awake at 6 this morning. I'm going to try the Johnson's sleepy time products with a warm bath before bedtime and see if that will get me thru the night without medication. I want to be fully asleep when I'm sleeping and fully awake when I'm not, and I haven't been able to master that.
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 08:03 AM   #17
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by PA Baker
Sometimes reading works for me, but it can't be anything too good--I've been known to stay up most of the night to finish an excellent book!
Im so with you on that one PA. I love the total silence and the ability to concentrate on the book, that is so enjoyable about reading in bed. Although, many times the book has fallen from my hands, its time to turn out the light. Ten minutes later I'm wide awake again. Grrrrrr.

The chamomile tea was relaxing, but didn't help me sleep. I was still awake at 3am.

mrsmac, a rich cup of milo often works when nothing else can.

tweedee, I've heard of the sleepy time bath, but not the sleepy time tea. Will look for that tomorrow at the supermarket.

Thanks all for your excellent advice, as usual.
I'm not 40. I'm 18 with 22 years experience.
aussie girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 09:00 AM   #18
Head Chef
Hard work during the day makes me very tired by bed time.Reading and sex.
thumpershere2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 07:16 PM   #19
Master Chef
When I can't sleep, nothing on earth really helps. You can cut down on the resultant anxiety by simply NOT trying. Get up for a couple of hours, do something not stimulating (I find computer and TV make the problem worse, reading and writing and mild chores you don't hate are good), then try again later. I agree that feeling yourself ready to fall asleep an hour or less before you know you have to get up is horrid, and you wake up in a bad mood when the alarm goes off. I'd gotten in the past decade or two to work around it so that I didn't get stressed out about it and seemed to get enough sleep most of the time. Now I have a dog with kidney disease, and working around her schedule and my already-erratic one is wearing on me. Try it all ... regular exercise is the only thing that I've found help, and a fairly regular schedule. But it's minimal help.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 06:49 PM   #20
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Nyquil or Xanex. Yes they work. If I had a wife, then maybe my Rx would be different.

-DEADLY SUSHI- is offline   Reply With Quote