"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 10:33 AM   #1
Senior Cook

What's your take on the/our economy?

just wondering what your take on the economy is. are we making headway like the gov says or are we circling the toilet? i have a very strong view as to whats going on and whats to come but just curious as to yal's view.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I was told in a letter a few months ago that I would not get a cost of living increase for the second year in a row because there was no inflation.

Where do they buy their groceries? Everything I buy on a regular basis is going up and up and up. The bread I bought a couple of months ago went from $2.50 to $3 a loaf. This is typical. The large creamer that was under $3 is almost $4. Most things are up by 30 to 70 every time I shop. Over the span of a year, it's ridiculous.

I do get a little food stamps, but because our government says there is no inflation, I don't get a raise in my food stamp allotment.

I'm really surprised that the people who depend on Social Security haven't made enough of an impression on the people who make these decisions that it happened again this year.

I don't like being lied to, especially by my government.

I appreciate the chance to vent on this, even if it's probably too political a thread to last, it has been on my mind.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:34 AM   #3
Master Chef

Zhizara, the reason there is no inflation according to the powers that be is because they don't include energy or food in the calculations. I believe we are looking at some really tough times ahead.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
Head Chef

Well, though we really haven't seen it yet I believe that we have rounded the corner on the "recession" (I'm sorry but IMHO this is a depression). I suspect that things will begin to turn around in the next few years but I also know that it will be a very slow turn. And really economically speaking that is a good thing. The hard part is holding on until that happens. There are an awful lot of people who are just one or two paychecks from living on the street. The worst part of that is that there are not the social programs that there used to be to buoy people up during the toughest times and people don't have the close family relationships living nearby who can help during the tough times. The economic stats don't account for people who have run out of unemployment insurance or for people who are under employed so in my opinion they are inaccurate. I'm willing to bet that our unemployment rates are at least two points higher than the government says they are. Just keep holding on, after all what else can we do?
Old 02-18-2011, 11:52 AM   #5
Cook

IMO it's hard to tell whether we are making headway, only time will tell.

As far as things getting better we are in a capitalistic country so the wants and needs of corporations, banks, and wall street will always come before the needs of individuals. Better will always be relative. Things will always be more expensive than necessary, and more than many can afford. Once the stock market tumbles (I think it's inevitable at this point, even though we've put it off for a few years), we will have the opportunity to make change. Will we idk? I'd like to think Americans won't be caught asleep at the wheel again, but comparing current consumer spending with income, unemployment rates and foreclosure rates, I fear we as a country don't get it. I'm afraid the way we live our lives is totally unsustainable and we may have to learn that the hard way
Old 02-18-2011, 12:47 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
I'm afraid the way we live our lives is totally unsustainable and we may have to learn that the hard way.
And we will, whether it be us or our grandchildren (I'm 28). Short of getting cold fusion up and running (or a drastic change in the minds of every person on earth to reduce population levels at a fantastic rate), we will reach a point of system extrema that can't be overcome. It's ecology 101 with some basic thermodynamic principles.

Best case scenario is overwhelming environmental pressure that re-stabilizes the system. Worst case scenario is a dynamic system bifurcation.

Energy, potable water, and commodity grain tell quite a bit about our situation.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:14 PM   #7
Master Chef

One of the reasons I come here, is I'm sick of political discussions, and was told that those discussions aren't allowed here.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:19 PM   #8
Master Chef

It is still bad. I've been running on fumes these past couple of years.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:17 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
The economic stats don't account for people who have run out of unemployment insurance or for people who are under employed so in my opinion they are inaccurate. I'm willing to bet that our unemployment rates are at least two points higher than the government says they are. Just keep holding on, after all what else can we do?
The statistics also do not account for people who are self-employed and may not have any revenue generating projects/clients. These people don't get counted in statistics because they are "invisible" when it comes to grabbing unemployment stats or salary stats. These people don't qualify for unemployment and aren't on salary. Self-employed folks who provide services have to figure out how to survive without assistance. I read that 30% of the American population are self-employed (not small business owners that sell goods, but people who sell services). I know I'm one of those and times have been LEAN since January 2008. I am seeing an upswing--I've had 9 or 10 calls (landed 5 projects--yea!) since Jan 28th. But that's the most traffic I've had since 2007. For 20 years, I averaged 275 billable days / year. I was able to pick and chose on which projects I worked. I don't know if I've hit 275 billable days since January 2008. Rates for services in my field are what they were in between 1996 and 2000 (lowest rates 1996 rates, highest 2000 rates). Try living on 1996 earnings in 2011! Do I miss things? Damned right I do. Will I have enough money to ever retire...I did in 2007, but I had to spend it to stay afloat. I guess for the past three years you could say I've been in an "on the job training" program for retirement.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:51 PM   #10
Master Chef

I've been self-employed for 32 years now and this current situation is the worse it's been for us. As mentioned above we are not accounted for job loses. I've never seen so many mom and pop shops closing up shop here. Empty shops are numerous like it's never been. These small businesses are a huge force in our economy, yet their statistics are not accounted for the most part.
It's actually worse then what gov numbers indicate.