When do you buy the majority of your Christmas presents?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

When do you do the majority of your Christmas shopping?

• Throughout the year

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Black Friday (day after Thanksgiving)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Between Thanksgiving and Christmas

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • The week before Christmas

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Christmas Eve

• Christmas Day

• After Christmas sales

• I don't shop for Christmas

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
I tend to buy Christmas gifts throughout the year. If I see something someone will like, if I have the money I get it. I usually have some last-minute things to get in December. My dad always did his on Christmas Eve. He would shut his shop early that day so that he could get it done. My Uncle Glen was the worst! On, I think, more than one occasion he stopped at Thrifty Drugs on the way to our house ON CHRISTMAS DAY and bought our gifts. When he got to our house he sent us out of the room so that he could wrap them!

:) Barbara

Last edited:
Normally I pretty much have it all done and only have to pick up a few small things but this year I have to do almost all of it tomorrow. I did wait one year to do the major portion on Christmas Eve.......huge mistake. Granted I saved a lot of money but the headache of the hustling and crowded stores wasn't worth it.

This is similiar to Alix's poll today, but I basically do my shopping between Thanksgiving and Christmas, though I have a few more things to get.

Many presents throughout the year.

And want almost everything bought by early December. Sometimes exigencies require buying into later December, but hate when we have to do that.

When we were first married we killed ourselves shopping in December.

Then one day I woke up and thought that we should go out on one day, we did it one black Friday, and shop as if it was Christmas eve.

It worked! It was a heck of a tiring day, but almost everything was done.

We did not dither, we just bought. And the gifts were as good as we could have gotten if we had spent days looking.

Now we do things more casually, and most of what we buy is from the web.

A few minutes here, a few there, and soon we are finished shopping.

And by knowing what many of our gift recipients like, we can find some very special gifts during the year.

In our opinion, it is the only way to shop.

And we are busy as heck, we are doing this to be efficient.

At least it works for us.

A very Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, or a fantastic holiday season to you all.

I keep a notebook of family and friends' comments about things they would like to have. As the year passes, I use the notations as a guide to buy things. I also make a large portion of my Christmas gifts. This year it was handmade toys/stuffed animals for the grandchildren and sewn/knitted clothing for my mother-in-law, etc.

I much prefer to customize Christmas gifts for my recipients. I LOVE to sew/knit/crochet/cook, etc. gifts and try to make many of them during the year.

I usually have most of what I want to give ready by the end of October. Everything except, of course, the food items. I try to have those done by the end of the second week of December if they are to be delivered locally.

The funny thing is, I have always loved going to the mall on Christmas Eve to do some last-minute stocking stuffer shopping, but ONLY if I have everything else done. I just like watching the hustle and bustle that last day before Christmas.

:) Barbara

Was out this afternoon getting a few last things, and it was nice to see everyone in the shops in a good mood because they were buying things for others instead of themselves, Christmas music was on the overhead speakers, and people wearing Santa hats or reindeer antlers, little kids singing Christmas songs in the salon where I got my hair cut this morning, guy handing out Lindor's truffles to everyone in line at Border's....

kinda cool.

If you have everything bought by Thanksgiving, you miss this part.

If I'm doing anything through the computer I'll do that right after Thanksgiving. Then, I have specific shopping outtings. I do some shopping in Vermont, I do some shopping in Philly, and I do some in NYC. If I'm not done by the last outting, it's unusual.

Curiously, when I shop in Vermont, almost every shop gift wraps for free. In Philly, I cannot even beg a box out of shopkeepers. In NYC, it's hit or miss.

The majority of my Christmas shopping is done between Thanksgiving and Christmas. But I also keep an eye out for things I know relatives and friends will like throughout the year. Then the hard part is to remember what I bought for who and where did I hide them?

Back
Top Bottom