"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-20-2007, 02:24 PM   #11
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
Personally, I believe it's a feeling you get the very first time you step foot in the kitchen to do the cooking.

Either you feel it, or you don't. If you are uncomfortable in there, for whatever reason, you'll never be a good cook. It's more than being able to create sans recipe, which in and of itself is the sign of talent. But, if it's from your heart, and not out of obligation, (and you didn't poison anyone) it's going to be good. It's the spirit of the cook that comes through.
Excellent POV and very good point!

Old 08-20-2007, 02:27 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
My dad used to say that you could give her and my mom identical bags of groceries and the same recipes, and any resemblance between what the two would get for results would be "purely coincidental!"
Odd, but this remark reminded me of a saying my Dad used to say. Not about cooking, but about the destructive and clumsy nature of my younger brother.

My Dad used to say that my brother “could tear up a steel ball”. Now that is determination right there!

Old 08-20-2007, 02:41 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

I had an interest in cooking at an early age but didn't learn to cook until later in life.

Dad was a chef for a company that ran in-plant cafeterias. He kept a 5x7 binder of recipes and would dictate new recipes to me after dinner and I'd type them up on an antique Remington portable typewriter (remember typewriters). That piqued my interest and I used to watch mom in the kitchen from time to time as she prepared dinner.

When I was married, I was not allowed in the kitchen as it was "her" kitchen and I was to stay out.

When I got divorced (in my late-40s), I had my first opportunity to cook on my own. I watched a lot of TV cooking shows, read some cookbooks, got recipes from my sister and the occasional date and ate a lot of bad meals.

A semi-validation came when the guy I shared a house with started suggesting we cook joint meals.

When some dates agreed to go out with me again after I had cooked for them, I figured I was doing OK.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:03 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
hahahahaha - I have one definition for you - it's when your ex husband's wife calls you up and asks you to give her "cooking lessons/pointers" and you go over to their house and your ex-husband walks in the door and his eyes glaze over and he says "oh crap"......

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:04 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
When I was married, I was not allowed in the kitchen as it was "her" kitchen and I was to stay out.
Wow, that happened to me in my first marriage too. Except I did get to cook some things, but none of her signature dishes (but I wouldn't let her near my grills!). That’s why I never learned to make Lasagna (and still haven’t to this day). She swore she was the queen of Lasagna and Chili, so I never got to make those dishes, and a few others to boot. After we got divorced, the first thing I did was make a big pot of 5 Alarm Chili......still haven't made Lasagna though. I guess I need to do that one day.

And yeah, typewriters! Wow. I used to love my Brother Electric.....wish I still had it. Don’t forget the whiteout!
Old 08-20-2007, 03:06 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
hahahahaha - I have one definition for you - it's when your ex husband's wife calls you up and asks you to give her "cooking lessons/pointers" and you go over to their house and your ex-husband walks in the door and his eyes glaze over and he says "oh crap"......

Holy cow! Did that really happen and did you really do it? That is too funny!
Old 08-20-2007, 03:11 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I'm not sure I will ever be a good cook and honestly, I don't aspire to that. But I am becoming a better cook. I know because my kids ask for seconds more often and leftovers sometimes get eaten now. Son Nick and his SO came through San Antonio last night late on their way home from the coast. I had made breaded pork chops, mashed potatoes and green beans for dinner much earlier but had saved some chops for them. When I offered to heat them up a plate, they declined instantly, saying they were full from lunch. Hunger finally got the better of them so they accepted a plate. Well, they ended up eating all 4 of the chops I had saved and asked if there were any more! I'm telling you, this never happens to me. I really have been an awful cook (but I did know it - I didn't like to eat my cooking either.) So that's how I know I'm becoming a better cook.
Terry
Old 08-20-2007, 04:41 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Hmm, well, I'd say it was when I started to notice that people jump to accept my invitations to come over for dinner, & they always ask me to bring a dish (or TWO!) to potlucks. I've even had my sil ask me to help her plan/prep a dinner that she was hosting, and I always thought she was a pretty good cook herself.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:44 PM   #19
Executive Chef

This is a hard question to answer because it's all about perception. One person may be considered a good cook among their own circle, but put them in another group and they turn into total a hack.

That being said, I don't think you can generalize as to who's a good cook or not, because context needs to be considered. It has to be done with a classification involved (like sports). Take high school football. Someone who may be an all-star at the 1A level might be a marginal player on the 3A level and 3rd string player on the 4A or 5A level. Heck, they may not even make the team. Can you still say that they are a good football player? You can in context, but overall that person probably isn't.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:50 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef View Post
This is a hard question to answer because it's all about perception. One person may be considered a good cook among their own circle, but put them in another group and they turn into total a hack.

That being said, I don't think you can generalize as to who's a good cook or not, because context needs to be considered. It has to be done with a classification involved (like sports). Take high school football. Someone who may be an all-star at the 1A level might be a marginal player on the 3A level and 3rd string player on the 4A or 5A level. Heck, they may not even make the team. Can you still say that they are a good football player? You can in context, but overall that person probably isn't.
Very good point, iron chef. I've gotten huge pats on the back from the adults at the dinner table and at the same time big "eeeuuuww!"s from the kids . I 've never been good at making "healthy" or "figure friendly" party appetizers, so my very fit friends take one bite of my offerings and make a face, while my plumper friends gobble them down and ask for recipes.