"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 11-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #11
Wine Guy
I get rid of stuff whenever I move. Last time we moved, we rented a renovation-sized dumpster and started filling it up. However, seeing how the last move occurred almost 15 years ago, the clutter has begun to pile up.

Hmmm. Maybe it's time to move again.

Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #12
Master Chef
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I keep everything. Anyone want to by some 8-tracks? And the player
I keep everything because I never know when I might need something. On many occassions I was glad to find that scrap of lumber or piece of metal I probably should have thrown out, but didn't. And an old fry pan worked well for dipping into my well and scooping that dead mouse out before I got a "real" cover for it. You just never know... I might even need that old aquarium gravel someday. Like if someone gets stuck in front of my house
I'll bet I have 20 phone lines still wrapped up and scattered in various drawers.

Like you Andy, when we combined two households with more than 4,000 sq. ft. into 1,400 sq. ft. we got rid of everything we didn't need. We had each lived in our houses for more than 30 years, so it was very painful at the time. That was 5 years ago now and we've started accumulating unnecessary stuff once more. I'm much better than I was. For example with our travels we only buy souvenirs that are useful, with the exceptions of all the kitchen magnets from all over the world on the refrigerator. We laugh that when there is no more space left on the fridge door we'll hang up our traveling shoes.

The one year rule without use wouldn't be long enough Claire, but the five year rule would be a good one here.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #13
Sous Chef
I want to get rid of stuff but my husband won't let me. When we had our child 8 years ago we ended up moving a bunch of glass top furniture out of the living room for safety purposes. We just dont have room for the amount of furniture we have anymore. He has loads of clothes, hunting stuff, golf stuff, old boots etc...

As for my child.....Kids accumulate a lot of stuff and my theory is.. let him be little because he will be grown soon enough. Now we have legos in every corner, boxes of toys and our hall is his "art wall."

I do get rid of my own things on a regular basis. I find great joy in throwing things out, I have no idea why.
"Omit and substitute! That's how recipes should be written. Please don't ever get so hung up on published recipes that you forget that you can omit and substitute."
Jeff Smith, The Frugal Gourmet
Merlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
Keep it ya just never know when you might use it DH has a garage full of cabnits from the two pharmacies we sold. The pasture has oodles of hammers,and such he has taken out there and forgotten, Clothes he has his and things that were his twin brothers, Throw it away? not on your life. I do pare my things down I do hang on to my cashmere sweaters, I hoard those babies same with nice wool slacks and blazers. They never go out of style. Kitchen gear I hold on to most thing pots, pans, gadgets not so much some I cannot use anymore garlic press broken arm has never gotten so I can use that thing so I use a malet to crush garlic and a cheffknife to make it tiny enough to incorporate into things. So you see I'm a mess maker at times but you could eat off the kitchen floor and the counters I don't like them cluttered
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #15
Head Chef
Some of you people are making me it itch!! I can toss/donate stuff, no problem at all. My secretary, on the other hand. . . . keeps everything. When I came to this office, 12 years ago, we had some knock down drag out battles--she had every piece of paper and equipment that had come into the office for the 20 years she had been working, all piled and stacked.

Floppy disks--oh, yeah. Boxes full of them. Big ones and little ones. Parts for a mimeograph machine. 25 file cabinets full of old mail. A mountain of old catalogs entirely covered a whole bookshelf--we didn't find the shelf until we had thrown away a dumpster full of crap. It has been 8 years or so since we cleaned up, and it is time to do it again.

I am older now, and not sure I am up to the effort. Just waiting for her to retire, I guess. I have never been in her house--I am sure there is just a little path from the bed to the bathroom to the kitchen.
I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #16
Master Chef
Not only do I keep everything, I think I have two of everything, if not three. When I cannot find what i need, I just go get new one. I think I have at least a dozzen of tape mesures, utility knives, etc. Last sunday though, my wife bought mme two new shirts, but would not give them to me untill I threw away 6 old ones, that have been seating in the clothet for at least 10 years. I'm terible.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
A dozen utility knives?
I'm missing one of mine. I can only account for four.
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
I have a heck of a time throwing anything out too, as does DH. We collect wood, barnboard, wood scraps, metal from old electical and plumbing, you name it. I like to repurpose junk, for example, I made a bird bath from an old satellite dish and its attached post. DH has a vast collection of tennis shoes. I do try to go through my closets at least once a year, and got rid of at least 20 pairs of my shoes recently. I also recycled the vast majority of my collection of cottage cheese containers.

Thankfully we have an unfinished basement and an attached garage, so we're not tripping over too much stuff in the house!
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
i have been doing a large purge in the last three months or so. i have about a 5 or 6 bag lot for the viet vets left to get rid of. however today i remember throwing away about five yards of christmas flannel fabric. my daughter sure could use in her pet shop . she puts a scarf on each clean dog when they have finished grooming them. oh well, in any case , long gone.
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef
My sister's 9-year old granddaughter hoards not only her stuff but others' as well. When my sister was re-doing the spare bedroom (where granddaughter stays), GD wouldn't let her toss anything. She wanted to take it home so she could keep it. She has every toy she ever owned and wont let anyone toss anything.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote