"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-16-2012, 11:45 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't really throw anything away...I give it to others...that's why PF is getting a couple of books (and I'm getting those purple shoes)! I did, however, get rid of an old freezer and washer today--the person who picked them up does kitten rescue and the $ from selling them for scrap will go to help kitties. I got a couple more appliances for him to pick up in the spring--just need to make a trail in the barn to them (the barn is divided in two parts here in the City--so the one side is a bit...ummm..full of stuff).

Old 11-17-2012, 01:11 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

When I have clean outs I take things to charity shops

Old 11-17-2012, 02:01 AM   #33
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Unless it's worn out, everything goes to Goodwill or friends. 'Cept books, those go back to the bookstore for credit. I think we have over $300 in credit at one bookstore.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:03 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
One of our local charities takes clothes that are no longer wearable and sells it for fibre recycling. I tend to wear my clothes until that's they are worn out. I have a basket overflowing with mending that I should either mend or send off to that charity.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:42 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

I know a kniiter that goes to thrift shops and buy old sweaters. She then unravels them and reuses the yarn for projects she knits. She also buy holey denim items, cuts up the item into large patches and sews them together. When she has about three yards sewn together, she gets out her patterns and cuts out and sews a new item from it. For her nothing goes to waste.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #36
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie
. She also buy holey denim items, cuts up the item into large patches and sews them together..
Cutting up holey jeans?!! People pay $100 for ripped up jeans! Just resell them. :grin:
Old 11-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Unless it's worn out, everything goes to Goodwill or friends. 'Cept books, those go back to the bookstore for credit. I think we have over $300 in credit at one bookstore.
Fi, you need to get a Kindle
Old 11-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindercat View Post
Cutting up holey jeans?!! People pay $100 for ripped up jeans! Just resell them. :grin:
Old 11-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #39
Cook

I start "throwing" things away when I find drawers wont open or I just cant find anything. I tend to hoard things a bit too much but then after sometime I do manage to get rid of it either by selling,giving to op-shops or to people I know who may need it. I follow a page on Facebook that like to help the unfortunate here & they are always asking for donations of something. I only just recently gave away a double bed I wasn't needing.
Quote:
Princess Fiona. I too give my books to the book store and build up my credit so I can buy more books. Its the only way to go for me. I dont have as much credit as you though

Some books I do post to a friend when I know its something she would like to read.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #40
Master Chef

Oh, no we do not trow things away either. We call local veteran's store and they come pick up donation. We usually have plenty good stuff to be used. Girls cloth, thank G-d they grow so fast, their stuff is half new. I am spoiled and have tons of shirts and pants that I usually get for birthdays. I am only happy to give it away for a good cause, it is just somebody has to force to look thru the closet.