"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-13-2012, 06:24 AM   #1
Master Chef

When do you throw something away?

I have friends who keep everything. I mean everything. I have a sister who admits to being a hoarder. I, on the other hand, go through my house every year, and toss everything that I know I won't use in the next year. I guess that makes me a bit anal? I just do not like a lot of junk surrounding me. Perhaps it is the way I was raised, but then, look at my sister.

There are a few things I throw away when I haven't used them for a year. I will say that I have two very expensive skirts I wear to parties and funerals. I have a fondue pot I haven't used in a few years. Aside from that, I don't have much that I've owned for more than a couple of years.

What about you?

Old 11-13-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I'm like you, I go through the kitchen equipment pantry and weed it out once a year. Sometimes I've upgraded things that really needed upgrading, or get rid of stuff that I thought I would use, but never did. Ditto goes for well intentioned gift of cooking tools from my mom, that I really have no use for.

Clothes, being a guy I have it a bit easier in that department. I buy mostly good quality classic styles that I can wear for years. When I buy cheaper stuff, I'm lucky to get one season out of it before it starts getting tired. If I buy something that is kinda trendy, I'll usually only wear that one season.

I don't like clutter. I don't like having to dig through stuff I don't need to find something that I do. I don't like having spaces in my house that are filled with stuff not being used. My partner on the other hand is the opposite, he has one closet full of clothes that he never really wears, but can't let go of. A closet in the basement with assorted stuff that he feels the same about. He knows that he has to keep this stuff contained to keep me sane!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:29 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

I've been meaning to clean out my closets. Really, I have. I have a half dozen business suits and other stuff I will never wear again. They should go where they can be of use to someone. I know this and never get around to doing it.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
Master Chef

I get rid of everything I don't use, I hate clutter. I do keep Kitchen stuff though, I have way more than I need even after giving some away. Some woman have shoes and bags, I love pretty glasses and plates lol!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Shrek and I are both bad about holding on to things. I'm a bit better at getting rid of stuff, mostly clothes.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

As far as non-clothing items, we have some. A few years ago, we had a clearance. All the things we had been accumulating in the basement since SO and I consolidated households was laid out for our daughters to browse. They took some stuff and the rest went to charity. (My LP collection and turntable are safely in my younger daughter's possession).

That said, we could probably get rid of more.

Baby steps...
Old 11-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
As far as non-clothing items, we have some. A few years ago, we had a clearance. All the things we had been accumulating in the basement since SO and I consolidated households was laid out for our daughters to browse. They took some stuff and the rest went to charity. (My LP collection and turntable are safely in my younger daughter's possession).

That said, we could probably get rid of more.

Baby steps...

We have the plan, we have the materials...we just can't seem to actually start boxing things up.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I keep everything. Anyone want to by some 8-tracks? And the player
I keep everything because I never know when I might need something. On many occassions I was glad to find that scrap of lumber or piece of metal I probably should have thrown out, but didn't. And an old fry pan worked well for dipping into my well and scooping that dead mouse out before I got a "real" cover for it. You just never know... I might even need that old aquarium gravel someday. Like if someone gets stuck in front of my house
I'll bet I have 20 phone lines still wrapped up and scattered in various drawers.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #9
Master Chef

when the kitchen gets too stuffed, i'm a cleaning lunatic. if stuff in the other rooms gets too old, i'll introduce said item to a garbage can liner. generally keep items i can wear- own a tee-shirt or 2 from when i was 4-6 (i think) & wear them to this day. other items, i'll keep stored away & re-discover them- so, in essence, depends on the item.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I keep everything. Anyone want to by some 8-tracks? And the player
I keep everything because I never know when I might need something. On many occassions I was glad to find that scrap of lumber or piece of metal I probably should have thrown out, but didn't. And an old fry pan worked well for dipping into my well and scooping that dead mouse out before I got a "real" cover for it. You just never know... I might even need that old aquarium gravel someday. Like if someone gets stuck in front of my house
I'll bet I have 20 phone lines still wrapped up and scattered in various drawers.
I forgot about that stuff. I have scraps in my workshop that I don't even remember why I have it. I have more phone cords, extension cords, computer cords than I can ever use. I even have some 3.5" floppys that I don't have a drive for. I have computer software from three computers ago.