When Do Your Kids Go Back To School?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crewsk

Master Chef
Well, my little darlin's go back to school tomorrow!! Which, means I get to go back to work also.:rolleyes:(I'm hoping they keep me busy subbing this year.) TC is in 4th grade & Savannah in 1st this year. Things should be pretty interesting. We met their teachers yesterday & I think they are going to be really good. I'm trying not to think about next school year though. My baby boy will be going to middle school!!:ohmy:

Oh, I'm supposed to have a job interview some time next week too! It's for a childcare assistant at a school for unwed teen mothers who want to continue their education. The job is only 2 days a week & in the late afternoon so I'll still be able to sub & be on the same schedule as my kids pretty much.

Anyway, when do your kids go back or have they already started?

Crewsk, good luck with your interview next week! It sounds like it would be a wonderful job for you--and you'd be doing such a good service for those moms, too! Savannah's in first grade this year--yikes!:cry:

I think kids return to school the week before labor day around here. I'm always amazed at how early you guys start!

My dad wonders how I got so old. He probably wouldn't be able to tell you what year I am though.

But I start a week from tomorrow (August 23rd.)
I'm excited (since I'm the one going back to school), but I don't feel like I accomplished everything this summer that I wanted to.

Last edited:
My SO's grandchildren in Florida went back last Tuesday. They're in high school and middle school.

Cade started first grade on monday of last week, he goes to a year round school where his mom teaches. My other daughter will be starting on Aug.28. She is teaching fourth grade for the first time this year. Summer is on it's way out.
Good luck with the job interview Crewsk..:)

kadesma

I think Billy goes back the 24th. He's starting the 4th grade. My litle baby isn't so little anymore *sniff sniff*.
Good luck with the interview Crewsk !

Good luck on your job interview Crewsk. My kids go back on the 21st and my oldest will be starting middle school (junior high) as well. My daughter, the middle one will be a 5th grader and my youngest (3 1/2 year old) will stay home with me and occasionally go to daycare when I go substitute at school.

My girls go back September 5th. Kate goes for an orientation session on the 31st since she is now in Junior High (grade 7). Madeleine goes back to the same school but has the bonus of having her favorite teacher once again for grade 5. WOOHOO!!

Good luck on the interview crewsk. I know they will hire you, you're a perfect pick.

Thanks so much for the support on the interview. I'm beyond nervous about it because I haven't had one in about 11 years!!

Middie, I know exactly how you feel!

PA, my neices & nephews went back August 4. I'm glad I had a little more time to get my kids ready.

Wow, alot of kids seem to have gone back to school so early. Mine starts on Sept. 5, she's in high school.

Kids go back late here in VA too - the Tuesday after Labor Day. Of course that means they don't get out until the middle of June.

I am counting the days. Daughter is starting high school. She had an orientation event today, and she tells me all they talked about was the discipline procedures.

She and her 8th grade friends are a little scared of moving on to the big HS, hoping the seniors don't pound them into the ground the first week.

For me, an old "Who" song comes to mind, i.e. "I'm free!" My youngest is not going to school this year. She's has two years of university under her belt and is taking a break this year. She'll be moving to Tacoma and living for a short while with her brother and his wife until she get's a job and her own place.

I won't have to make sure she's awake in the morning, won't have to worry about what time she gets home, etc., etc.

I suspect that I will miss it though. I have had children under my roof since 1978. I love them all dearly and all four of them make me proud on a regular basis, and don't require a whole bunch of assistance, though we give it when asked. We love having them over for a dinner or get together. But with three of the four planning on moving to Washington State, get togethers will be prescious few until I'm ready to retire in another twelve years or so. But I have at least another year before my eldest is done with her university degree and moves West. And she and her husband are always welcome in the house. We get along great with all of the kids, especially now that they are adults.:)

For you young parents, just remember you are the parents, the people who your kids look up to for everything in their lives. It is by your example that they learn how to conduct themselves in the world. And judging by what I know of everyone on this site, I think this next generation will do just fine.:)

Oh, and Crewsk, I won't wish you luck as I believe our luck is what we make it. You are intelligent and motivated. Remember your qualities. You will do well. If you are comfortable and sincere, with your attitude and values, you will win them over in a heartbeat.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
So well said, Goodweed!

My 2 will be in the same middle school this year, grades 8 and 6.
They start on Aug 28th. I'm very happy that we'll only be going to one campus every morning!

My mother was a school teacher for 30 years, and it really annoyed her when she'd hear some mother talking about how she couldn't wait for her kids to get back to school. Mom wasn't all that anxious for school to start! :LOL:

Having raised my two daughters, and then taking on a 3 year old grandson to raise when I was 45, I can reassure you that I know what it's like to count the days until school starts.
But he's almost 18 and moved in with my ex now, and he won't be back. We have a younger grandson up the lane (Jesse) that we can enjoy and send home. The rest of them live away.
My husband and I are really enjoying having the kids out of the nest. He's turning 62 in January, and that's when he's going to burn his work boots.

Who knows what we may do?!!

I get to go back to school on the 5th. I'm starting grade 7 and very nervous but I have an orientation on the 31st to get me more comfortable. FYI Alix's daughter Kate and I are best friends and going to the same school...that's why are schedules are identicle.

Good luck with your job interview!

:w00t2: NO MORE SCHOOL SUPPLIES OR CLOTHES!! WOOHOO!!!!!

I'm sooooo glad to be done with that for a while. I'm sure when I get grandkids, I'll be buying stuff again. THEN, it'll be fun, instead of a chore.:LOL:

Kids back to school

crewsk said:
Well, my little darlin's go back to school tomorrow!! Which, means I get to go back to work also.:rolleyes:(I'm hoping they keep me busy subbing this year.) TC is in 4th grade & Savannah in 1st this year. Things should be pretty interesting. We met their teachers yesterday & I think they are going to be really good. I'm trying not to think about next school year though. My baby boy will be going to middle school!!:ohmy:

Oh, I'm supposed to have a job interview some time next week too! It's for a childcare assistant at a school for unwed teen mothers who want to continue their education. The job is only 2 days a week & in the late afternoon so I'll still be able to sub & be on the same schedule as my kids pretty much.

Anyway, when do your kids go back or have they already started?

NONE TO SOON FOR ME

~emz~ said:
I get to go back to school on the 5th. I'm starting grade 7 and very nervous but I have an orientation on the 31st to get me more comfortable. FYI Alix's daughter Kate and I are best friends and going to the same school...that's why are schedules are identicle.

Emz, being nervous is a good thing believe it or not. You will feel MUCH better after the orientation (and you will sleep better too!!)

Good luck with your interview Crewsk! I'm sure you will do great!

I started back to work yesterday. We have Open House tomorrow, then school starts Thursday.

:) Barbara

~emz~ said:

~emz~, There are so many milestones in school. K-3, then 4-5, then 6-8, which your approaching the 7th grade now, 9-12, and then college if your up to it, and I would highly recommend. Orientation, well I guess that means your schools are different from ours then, you start middle school at grade 7? Either way, orientation is great, it helps alot to learn your way around the new school, locate your class rooms, your locker. Do you have computers at your new school? In my daughters middle school they had laptops, but now that she is in high school, they no longer have that privilage.

Good luck at your new school!

Back
Top Bottom