When it comes tax time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amber

Executive Chef
Which do you all prefer...do you do your own with a tax program such as Turbo tax, go to a private accountant, do your own, or go to a popular place?

I typically go to a popular place, but their fees are getting outrageous to do simple taxes.

Thoughts?

I do accounting work for a living, but I have used Turbo Tax. It's kinda fun, although it only includes the federal form. For the state form, you have to purchase an add on. The forms aren't hard to figure out on your own, if you have a simple return. The problem anymore is getting a book - so many people are doing it through programs or services that they don't send them out anymore.

BC

I worked in finance. For many years, I did taxes by hand. As things got complicated, I switched to TurboTax. It works quite well and you don't have to know accounting to use it.

Since I lost Paul Oct.23,2006 will I still be able to file for 2 or am i going to have to file for the year as a single??

He always did our taxes so I am in the dark..
Marge

Am virtually certain, if they have not changed things very recently, you can file jointly for '06.

Used tdo them by hand but now use TurboTax. It is great, if you suddently find a statement for 5 dollars interest you forgot to add you just put it in and the rest is calculated instantly without having to crank through all of the numbers by yourself.

Also can enter data (interest, dividends) that sort of thing as the papers come in and don't have to do it all at once.

Con't care what I have to pay for TurboTax (it's pretty reasonable though) would do it.

We use a CPA. Used to do turbo tax, but we made the switch a few years back due to a few extra holdings and such.

John

i used turbo tax for years, but switched to my wife's tax "advisor" when we got married. i was going to do them myself this year, but it's worth not having to deal with all of the hassle for $200, and i'm patronizing a small business.

My wife is the tax guy here, she uses turbo tax. She loves it, says it so easy
I could do it.

later

We use Turbo Tax. The first year we had to buy the add-on for State (but they had a deal on it at Best Buy if you bought both). I joined their online panel (they just ask you a few questions every year) and they now include the State and a couple other things with mine (and they sent me a T-Shirt). I had them automatically renew mine so they sent it to me automatically this year.

:) Barbara
P.S. When I say "we" use Turbo Tax, I mean me. I love doing that kind of thing and James doesn't, so I do it.

My boyfriends dad does our taxes with turbo tax. It's fast, easy, I don't have to pay and the refund comes rather quickly. I love it!

does anyone else live in a different state from whee you work?

turbo tax makes the federal 1040 very easy, even when itemizing, and a state download from the state in which your job resides makes that pretty easy as well.

but i live in a different state from my job. i've found turbo tax doesn't handle dual states well. you have to calculate your home state tax based on credit given to other jurisdictions, but not all items are allowable deductions or exclusions, or even considered income (such as some benefits, pension, or company paid life insurance) in both states.

denial ain't just a river in egypt, ya know.

I use TT myself, but unfortunately, I have to use another program when I volunteer at the Senior Center. It is an arrangement with the IRS and AARP to volunteer to prepare taxes for seniors and low income people.

I have to figure out what is needed to file this year since Shrek is not able to sign the paperwork. Any ideas/advice from you tax filing fiends out there? (that is not a spelling error...I hate doing taxes)

I used to do my own before I purchased a condominium. I got somewhat confused, so I went to H&R Block. Wow, what a mistake that was. They hire wet behind the ear CPA's or worse. I was assured that I qualified for the Obama stimulus package. They charged me $400 and when I went to collect the stimulus package money, I was told I missed the cutoff amount. Thanks for nothing H&R Block.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom