"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-24-2006, 12:20 AM   #1
Sous Chef

When to eat the whipped cream.

Whenever I get a Frappicino at Starbucks, I always seem to find that by time I get to the end of my drink either
a) the whipped cream has mysteriously dissapeared or
b) the whipped cream thats left is impossible to suck up through a straw. Probably because they use whipped LIGHT cream, reddi whip.
Whats was worse was once in the winter and I get a mocha, and as soon as the lid goes on for thirty seconds as I make my way over the the "add ins" table (I only actually went there to suck off the whipped cream, to insure I wouldn't fall victem to the frappicino syndrome) it had melted into nothing from the heat.
I have since either eaten off the whipped cream first before anything (it melts after only after a few minutes even with the fraps) or ceased to get it at all. But most people I see with them are drinking them whith the whipped cream still on top, but still sucking from the bottom. When I say from the bottom I mean the straw is only collecting them the part of the drink at the very bottom first, so their whipped cream should be melted by time they get to it. I've always wanted to ask this: does anyone else expirience the whipped cream phenomenon? Where it melts into nothing? And do you eat the whipped cream off first or try and suck it up at the bottom or let it melt into becoming part of your drink?

Old 07-24-2006, 01:54 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I eat the whipped cream first too. I also get my frap with extra ice so it's super thick. Mmm. I think I'll get one today. Double choc chip.

Old 07-24-2006, 03:13 PM   #3
Sous Chef

You like it thick? I like it when it melts into sort of a milky thing. The only starbucks Fraps I really like honestly are the Green Tea ones and the Strawberries and Cream. I've had the Java Chip (I've thats the one you're referring to) one twice, and I think the choc. chips are blended way to small. I've had REALLY good chocolate chip fraps from other espresso bars that have thick chunky chocolate chips and a more creamy base (I like it creamy). Starbucks adds to much ice IMO and I always get stuck with huge ice chuncks that I have to break down. Twice they've added to much ice to the blender and had to give me a bigger size/more than I ordered. The best I've ever had would be at the coffee bar in Nordstroms: The Chai Ice Storm and that green Mint Chocolate Chip thing with huge chocolate chunks. They have a trillion good ones. You should try them.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:12 PM   #4
Head Chef

I love the strawberry and cream frap at Starbux. The first thing I do is stir the whip cream up into the drink until it disappears = YUM. There is a Starbux 20 floors below me right now, do you know how dangerous that is?
Old 07-24-2006, 05:19 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
Starbucks's Frappucccino drinks ain't too good for you. I've been trying to get my sister to stop drinking them -- they're literally killing her, preventing her from losing weight so she can exercise, and driving up her blood pressure and cholesterol, but she continues to pretend that they're "just coffee."

Check out the nutritional info from Starbucks's own site:

http://tinyurl.com/7xasd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Starbucks's Frappuccino Nutrition.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	1652  
Old 07-24-2006, 05:32 PM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by FryBoy
Starbucks's Frappucccino drinks ain't too good for you.
Dude, nothing that tastes good is good for you. Moderation is key.

Not sure if y'all have Caribou Coffee in your neck of the woods, but that's my preference to Starbucks. They don't put whipped cream on their Frappuccino style drinks (called Coolers) which I like. I let the whipped cream melt on the hot drinks, though.

Maybe it's the country boy in me, but Starbucks is too city-ish. Every Caribou Coffee I've been to makes you feel like you are in a lodge in the woods. A nice fire is usually burning in every store, and comfy seating is available to relax and read a good book while drinking your beverage.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:50 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
I prefer Peet's to Starbucks. But I drink coffee -- black thank you -- not milkshakes masquerading as coffee.

You're right, though --- the key is moderation. There's nothing wrong with a treat -- I love an In-'N-Out Burgers double double with a chocolate shake on occasion -- but you need to be aware of what you're doing when you do it.

Things like Starbucks's "coffee drinks" make moderation tough, particularly if, like my sister, you delude yourself about what you're putting in your body.

Obesity and diabetes are no joke. There was a long article in the L.A. Times this weekend about obesity in our country -- stats show that since 1960, American men and women have increased in average weight by 30 pounds! That ain't the result of moderation.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:30 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Hehe, yes I know they're terrible for you, but I'll wait until I need to worry about that until I start thinking about it, because if you overthink about whats in there it spoils the joy. Until then I'll just be young and enjoy my blissfull beverages. Plus, I wouldn't be able to get a sugar-high without those calories. And I live for sugar highs.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:37 PM   #9
Executive Chef

and yet, once again...

I had visions of licking whipped cream off human flesh...

I have a theory. I believe that the people you see enjoying the beverage while the whipped cream sits stoicly on top are people so heartless and cruel that the whipped cream is literally petrified, believing if it doesn't move, it won't be noticed.

When I was younger, I adored whipped cream on hot chocolate, with a touch of cinnamon sugar sprinkled on top. I am a person who can truly appreciate instant gratification and rarely gave the cream a chance to melt...all save the very last blops of it. That, being it was almost wasted anyway, I'd stir into the chocolate.

I'm all grown up now, and have a hard time rationalizing whipped cream on anything....except of course, my toes.....
Old 07-24-2006, 06:37 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog
Dude, nothing that tastes good is good for you. Moderation is key.

Not sure if y'all have Caribou Coffee in your neck of the woods, but that's my preference to Starbucks. They don't put whipped cream on their Frappuccino style drinks (called Coolers) which I like. I let the whipped cream melt on the hot drinks, though.

Maybe it's the country boy in me, but Starbucks is too city-ish. Every Caribou Coffee I've been to makes you feel like you are in a lodge in the woods. A nice fire is usually burning in every store, and comfy seating is available to relax and read a good book while drinking your beverage.
I've been to a Caribou coffee only once, and I got a sandwhich and my friend got a peanut-butter cooler, which I sipped quit a bit of. It was really good, I'd forgotten about that one. It was really really good, more like a shake then a frappicino though. I'd forgotten about that one. And did you know that a milkshake was originally meant to mean cream blended with ice and sugar/flavor wheares a "frap" is a milkshake made with ice cream? So we're actually been getting it BACKWORDS now when we talk about them!